iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Home grown dresser

Started by flip, March 28, 2007, 08:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flip

Latest project....

We snuck into the back of the property last year and cut a few cherry trees and 1 poplar, milled up, air dried, kiln dried.

All solid home grown cherry with poplar drawers (inside), 3 coats tung oil and 2 coats paste wax.  Still need pulls.  Guys, do NOT let your gals look at Southern Living Magazine, this is what happens ::)

Note the left upper drawer front. I had this in my truck for 2 days to try and match up some pulls and it darkened up that fast.  I guess the whole thing needs to tan for a week to get it all to match.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

DanG

Nice!  I wooden have noticed the darker drawer if ya hadn't mentioned it. I guess you're gonna have to haul the rest of'em around for a  couple days, now. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WDH

Flip,

That is some really nice clear cherry.  There is a company called Horton Brassses (you may be familiar with them) that makes some very high quality drawer pulls.  A piece like that needs some high quality pulls ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

flip

Yea, the pulls are going to be the hard part.  She wants to get some that are close the ones in the magazine ::)  Probably have to turn my wallet upside down for the ones she wants.  She asked if we could paint it :o :o :o , ummmmmm, er.....NO!  Paint is for pine, period. ;D

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

TexasTimbers

flip, you might turn some really nice knob handles to go with that really nice dresser.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Larry

Nice looking dresser...its quite hard getting the drawers to fit just right with that style.  Way beyond my level of patience, but it looks like you have it down pat. 8) 8)

Just throwing out idea or two...what about a brass pull out of flat stock.  Maybe a sandwich with cherry on both sides of the brass or vice versa?  Something not hard to make but they look expensive.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

TexasTimbers

Ooooh I like that idea Larry. It opens up a whole universe of pull possibilities. :)

TexasTimbers

Larry the secret to those great lines flip has is, and he may or may not agree, perfect squares and zero-slop slides. Used to be,  dollar amount and slop were indirectly proportional. The more money you paid for a drawer slide the les slop came with them. Nowadays that gap has been greatly narrowed to a degree. You can good really good slides for not alot of danero.
Of course, flip may tell us he used hard maple rails and beeswax because you can do pretty well with those too. ;)

flip

No slides or glides, just some cherry turned up on edge and some well positioned shims.  There is about 1/16 slop side to side.  The cherry was really dry so I set it up with the idea the wood will expand a bit. ;)  No bees wax, just a few heavy coats of furniture wax on the slides :-X  I hate seeing slides on what is supposed to be an "old" looking piece of furniture. 

TexasTimbers

flip

This is just one of those projects that turns out good, not perfect, but Lori loves it. 

Almost makes a guy want to do this stuff for a living but looking at the whole thing I'd have to charge $25000 for a piece like this ;D.  Keith Fritz is a guy here in town that makes high end stuff out of veneer and MDF and gets a fortune for a small table.  He's sold stuff to presidents and has a few showrooms on the east coast (lucky bloke) >:(

scsmith42

Flip, I saw your subject line and thought that I was going to see some pictures of a Harley...  :D  :D  :D
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

OneWithWood

Flip, I am sure your dear wife meant stain or clear finish when she sadi paint.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SwampDonkey

Real nice job Flip.  Solid as a tank. :) On a couple of my winter projects I did similar to what you did for your drawer slides and one I made a couple rails for glides. Amazing what a little wax will do to friction. ;D

I have a couple other projects to ponder for next winter.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Burlkraft

Nice work Flip....

Don't 'cha just love cherry... ??? ??? ???

That might look good with some o' dat green milk paint on it.... >:( >:( >:( >:(   NOT   :D  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

flip

Now the little hairs on the back of my neck just stood up :o  Milk is for drinking paint is for walls, not furniture.

Norm

blaze83

Very very nice flip, love the clear cherry. Is the top one piece or is it laminated? glad to see no stain and no paint 8)

again great job

blaze
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

flip

Top is 19 3/4" so it would fit through the planer.  I think I glued up about 7 pieces then final planed the whole thing to 7/8.

Burlkraft

So Flip...Have ya decided on pulls yet... ??? ??? ???

To me that's the hardest part...Trying ta find something that looks as good as your work... ;D ;D  I have several hardware catalogs and the more ya look the more ya get KevJay's disease.....BP   (buyers paralysis)..... :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Patty

8)  The dresser is really beautiful, Flip. I love the style. I am anxious to see what you do for pulls.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!