iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new to me grinder

Started by trapper, July 18, 2018, 01:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

A friend gave me his father in laws Windsor chain grinder. Chain on my cm241 was cutting so crooked the bar was binding.  Dealer charges $8 to sharpen and the chain is half worn out.  set up the grinder to mimic the angles on a new chain.  Tried it out on a 20 inch ash  and cuts like my new chain.  
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

HolmenTree

If it's Windsor it's a top quality grinder like all the other good product they made.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

trapper

that is what the label on it says it is
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

HolmenTree

Not doubting you trapper. I was making a statement how much I like the old Windsor product.

trapper

got the cutter sharpening down.  How do  you go about lowering the rakers with a grinder?

HolmenTree

Can't give you advice on the grinder as I never owned a chain grinder before, but being a Windsor product it should do a good job with the right instructions.

Only thing with a grinder I can't see how it can lower the raker and round off the leading edge corner at the same time.

Flat file works for me.

mike_belben

Raker grinder is a diferent machine.  
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

If it looks like the Oregon or the Tecomec ones it's pretty simple, you use the large wheel with the wheel shaped parallel to the chain vise then center your chain and go. If you need a picture of one setup this way let me know.

Skeans1

Al_Smith

In the entire life of a chain usually you might only need to take the rakers down two or three times .I like Willard don't own a grinder except a "dremel " type I seldom use .Only in the case I find a hidden treasure in a piece of wood like a nail .For that matter a rock does a number on them too .If you operate a chainsaw long enough you will find these things when you least expect .--count on it .

trapper

mike_belben

I was wrong.  Some grinders can do cutters and rakers. 
Praise The Lord

Skeans1

Quote from: mike_belben on September 18, 2018, 11:37:25 AM
I was wrong.  Some grinders can do cutters and rakers.
Mike far as I know only Silvey had the raker only grinder that you hand cranked. 

sawguy21

I would set the raker wheel face at about a 15 degree slope then round the leading edge with a file. To be quite truthful once I learned to file reasonably well I found the grinder didn't save me any time unless the chain was rocked. I could do a better job faster and easier with a file.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mike_belben

Quote from: Skeans1 on September 18, 2018, 11:41:57 AM
Quote from: mike_belben on September 18, 2018, 11:37:25 AM
I was wrong.  Some grinders can do cutters and rakers.
Mike far as I know only Silvey had the raker only grinder that you hand cranked.
Seen that, with the bump cam.  That thing is FAST.
Praise The Lord

bandmiller2

I probably shouldn't mention this but I do my rakers on a bench grinder free hand. There is enough spring with even the good chain grinders that makes it tough to get raker depth ground accurately. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

HolmenTree

The familiar one or two strokes and the final short stroke to round off the corner with a sharp flat file never lies ;D

Thank You Sponsors!