iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood theives

Started by buckgrunt, January 21, 2014, 12:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckgrunt

Apparently, there are thieves in my hometown stealing firewood from people's yards. Don't these idiots know that most people who burn firewood also have firearms....In my case, not only do I have firearms (plural).....My outdoor wood furnace also makes a great incinerator......!!!!!

LittleJohn

How about this one, a few years back had about 7 or 8 cords, worked up out in the woods; lots of stacking and splitting to get to this point.  Then a couple of no good hoodlum kids come by and decide, hey we should have a little bonfire, but instead of hauling the wood away to burn, they just lit one end of the wood pile on fire!!! 

Needless to say, police where involved and people were arrested. Think of the BTU that put out, It scorched trees 20' away top to bottom; and they messed up a couple of very nice Oaks and couple of Maples.  They should have made the kids cut, split and repile the wood that they burned not just pay $$$.

thecfarm

Give them each a dull one man cross cut saw.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

martyinmi

Quote from: buckgrunt on January 21, 2014, 12:52:12 PM
Apparently, there are thieves in my hometown stealing firewood from people's yards. Don't these idiots know that most people who burn firewood also have firearms....In my case, not only do I have firearms (plural).....My outdoor wood furnace also makes a great incinerator......!!!!!
Redneck justice in New Hampshah!!!!!! 8)

Gotta love it! :D
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

goose63

Back in the late 40s Chuck [wrong name for him] Love put a half stick of Du Pont in a piece of wood that was the last time any one stole his fire wood
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Gary_C

There have been people that have drilled holes in random sticks of firewood and placed firecrackers in the holes. You just have to remember which stick or your stove will be the one that explodes.  :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

stumper

Unfortunately there are many that choose to profit from other work by illegal means.  What has been recommended here in Maine in the past by the Forest Circus is to mix some left over paints to come up with a unique color and then dip a brush in and splatter this paint on the ends of your firewood so that it can be identified.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

r.man

Worse than the average firewood thief was the idiot who was cutting up saw logs that didn't belong to him for firewood. A bit more of an energetic thief in that he was actually cutting and splitting the wood but a thief as well.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

AnthonyW

Timber and cattle rustling are still on the books as punishable crimes.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

mooleycow

It ain't right to kill a man over a stick of wood.  A dog maybe.

Paul_H

Burning dynamite is a method of destroying it with out exploding.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Quote from: Paul_H on January 22, 2014, 10:03:19 AM
You first .Let us know how it works out . :D

Paul_H

I have done it and it's unsettling at first but it is safe. Caps would be another thing altogether  :)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

jueston

C4, an explosive used by the military and building demo crews, is flammable and will not explode when burned, just smells like burning plastic...

goose63

Quote from: Paul_H on January 22, 2014, 10:03:19 AM
it had a cap and fuse in it I did say love was the wrong name for that old man
goose

Al_Smith

:D When I was a teenager I had a lot of jobs .One for a while was boring holes for a stump blaster using an auger .He set the charges though with me off at a safe distance.

That guy scared me to death by tossing a case of 20 percent at me.I caught it then he took a stick and beat on a truck tire with it .That pot licker was nuts I thought ,He explained to me it took a cap to make it go boom .

Jim knew what he was doing .He could raise a big oak stump about 4 feet in the air most of the time .Every so often he missed and it took a second charge or too much and blew it 50 feet in the air .Not too often though . 

stumper

I would hate to have anyone put an explosive in a peice of firewood.  The theives I have heard about sold the firewood then stole and delivered the wood to an unsuspecting end user. 

While I buy my tree length firewood from a local respected timber harvester now, In the past I have bought from the cheapest.  I did not ask them to prove that they did not steal the wood from someone.  I guess they could have stolen it off somebody elses wood yard or land. 

I am sure that the guy that is running short on seasoned firewood does not ask either.  Given this colder than normal winter there is a hirer than normal demand for seasoned wood.  I suspect there are some that would back up to your pile and sell your wood to someone for drugs or booze if they thought they could.

GAB

Thecfarm wrote: "Give them each a dull one man cross cut saw."
Also give them a 20# sledge and two metal wedges and make them replace the pile 3 fold.  Also, give them a time frame it has to be done in to avoid jail time.  While they are doing that they will have time to think about their actions.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

thecfarm

GAB,I'm starting to like you more and more.  ;D Maybe make it all beech or yellow birch too.  :o

goose63

Quote from: thecfarm on January 22, 2014, 05:02:10 PM
GAB,I'm starting to like you more and more.  ;D Maybe make it all beech or yellow birch too.  :o
stringy pith elm would be better
goose

21incher

Up here the thief's are a little smarter. They break into empty homes and steal the copper pipes, then sell them at the junkyard so they can afford to buy firewood and avoid being shot stealing firewood from the armed firewood owners.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

thecfarm

I only have one elm on my land. No way that is being cut. That's why I said the other species.

DDDfarmer

Main reason my firewood and skidder sit right out in the open, nobody can sneak in to tamper with or steal firewood/parts.  Lots of traffic and everybody can see it.  Grandfather bought a new truck, heard from two neighbours about that strange little ford ranger in at the skidder.  Think one even got the plate  ;D

If someone was in bad shape and was honest, came to me needing help.  I would cut them a load ( if they help)  Steal from me.... your one chance is gone :snowball:
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!