iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mesquite-ers!!!

Started by Rob5073, February 11, 2014, 04:48:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob5073

I have been granted access to some land that contains about 450 acres or so of mesquite.  The owner is having the land cleared so it can be planted next year or the year after.  He's not interested in the wood and it's going to be pushed into burn piles and burned off before the field is planted.  I spoke to the man running the excavator and he's been out there the last few months tearing out the trees including the taproot.  There are hundreds of piles already but I'll be able to cut from the live trees he hasn't excavated yet so long as I leave him a stump to work with.  I'll be heading there tomorrow to stock up.  This will be great because I can get green wood, which is great for the smoker and I can take my time and  select the largest, clearest trunks.  This wood will be strictly for the smoker.   8)

Piled mesquite.  Even the piles contain green wood.  There are rows and rows of these piles

r.man

Funny how the world is, one area in drought and another in flooding. I was just reading about people running out of firewood and here is a thread about burning piles of unwanted wood.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Rob5073

Quote from: r.man on February 11, 2014, 10:42:01 PM
Funny how the world is, one area in drought and another in flooding. I was just reading about people running out of firewood and here is a thread about burning piles of unwanted wood.

Yes, I was noticing that as well in the other threads.  Burning wood for heat in Texas isn't as prevalent  as in a northern state. Most people here see it as a novelty for the holidays, backyard firepit gatherings or cookouts. 

Mesquite trees in Texas are considered an invasive.  So many landowners go to great lengths to clear the land of it and the majority of it ends up in burn piles or piled and left to decay over time.  From a cooking wood standpoint it is less desirable than pecan, oak or Hickory due to its strong flavor.  But the strong flavor can be lessened by mixing in other woods during the smoking.  I'm fortunate I'm able to get some of this commodity before it gets burned to ashes. 

Thank You Sponsors!