iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watch out for the widow makers!

Started by gspren, April 13, 2014, 08:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

Ever since I was a kid, and that's been a while, I have heard people refer to dead or hanging branches as widow makers but never had a big one land near me till last week. I was in the woods looking at a dead oak laying on the ground and planning an attack when I got thumped on the forearm by an oak branch about 3" dia and 8' long, ouch. I had my helmet on with ear muffs in place and didn't hear it coming, nothing seemed broke so I tried to shake it off and got to work after scanning the tree tops for another loose limb. I've got a egg sized lump on the outside of my arm and the inside turned black and blue from elbow to wrist. On Friday I got some x-rays to keep the peace and nothings cracked although this lump isn't changing much and wifey wonders how long it will last. I have still been cutting but now I'll get a stiff neck from looking up so much.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Chuck White

Just can't be too careful!

Glad it wasn't any worse!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Lakeerieloghomes

Widow makers are no joke. I was crushed last may by a soft maple top that snapped out while I was felling the tree. 3 vertabrae fractured in half and 9 broken ribs later... Luckily, a buddy was on site with me and I was able to stand to get his attention before I collapsed. No matter how careful you may be... Anything can happen. Take that lump on the arm as a lesson. Though, we can't foresee it all. Prevent that which you can. Protective equipment and listening to your instincts  go a long way.
Woodmizer LT 70 diesel
Newman 4 side planer;100 hp International
25" wood master molder/planer
Glue line rip saw
16" Dewalt chop saw
16" pop out saw
Table shaper
2500 bd ft Kiln
Misc woodworking and support equipment

yukon cornelius

I caught one in the head last year. It split me wide open and nearly let all the air out :o. my wife freaks out even though I tell her im ok but I need her to look at something. I guess that was her tip off. those suckers are no joke! ive had them fall near me just being in the woods! I pay a lot more attention to whats above me now.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Magicman

Wow Gary, yes stuff does happen.  Please stay safe my Friend.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

There is something to be said about hearing protection,  I like radio head phones, but while studying I got to be listening.   Helmets are a good thing!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

redprospector

When I first started working in the log woods, I was taught that before your boots hit the ground, your hard hat goes on your head.
In the last 3 decades I have been beat up, slammed down, and all around hurt pretty bad and every time was by not being aware of my surroundings. The worst I got was a fractured neck, and compressed spine. God fixed that one for me.
When in the woods, look out, look up, and go home in one piece at night.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Brucer

Look up before you get to the tree, not when you're under it. I spotted one last fall when I was about 20' from the tree. As I was looking for a route around the tree a gust of wind came up and the branch came straight down like a spear.

Not sure that my hard hat would have saved me if I'd been under it when it came down. Sure wouldn't have helped if I'd been looking up when I was directly under it.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Magicman

Here is a widow maker that broke out of an adjoining tree and fell several minutes after the tree fell.

I had walked past this area when it smashed to the ground.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gspren

Believe me since the day it happened I have studied the tree tops. The bad ice storm this winter dropped lots of limbs but left lots hanging. When the wind blows you can see big branches swinging around held by not much more than bark. Several days I just stayed out of the woods due to wind, for me this is a hobby not a living so I can wait for a better day. I just wonder how long this egg on my arm will take to depart.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Roxie

Fifty years ago, my uncle was killed by a branch no bigger around than my little finger, and only about two feet long.  He was trimming trees and the branch fell straight down and hit him on top of his head.  He was in a coma for a few weeks before he passed.  If he had been wearing a helmet, he would have laughed it off.

Say when

Magicman

Good point Roxie.  After a storm, there are always a few small limbs buried a few inches in the ground and sticking straight up like they had been planted.   :o

jargo432

Thanks to you guys, This year I started wearing a helment with earmuffs.  (It's the same one I wear at work in the oil fields)  About the 3rd or 4th tree I cut down sent one at me.  (A little bigger than the one in Magicman's photo) It fell just to my left just before it started to fall.  The trees I cut are not as tall but still just as dangerous.  A lot to think about.

Jack of all trades.

BEEMERS

I cut a lot of tall aspen and put them down on tight spots often between maples.You have to not only watch for widow makers when the tree moves but often the tree will catch the maple tops bowing them over away from me and then they get released.. tall trees but narrow diameter bowed to the breaking point then coming back my way including branches broke off the fell aspen.Those branches off the tree I fell can land 30 feet behind the stump! that's an adventure.And it can be a few seconds AFTER the tree hit the ground.
don't run,dont watch the tree fall..(although its tempting)..keep your eyes up and be ready to side step..unless the widow maker takes up your whole side stepping area....then take your pre planned escape route...wearing helmet of course.
That being said..Ive had the few unforseens been hit on the head..even with helmet will wake you up..just little ones....and hit on shoulder/collar bone can really hurt..Im talking little stuff...no bigger than your finger...much bigger your in real trouble
A couple years ago I cut an oak for firewood..and because it wasn't logging where I always wear a helmet I didn't take it seriously and didnt wear it. came to an oak.no widow makers..no problem..a tree youd put a beginner on to practice because it looked that easy and safe.It moved I stepped back shutting off the saw and watched it fall..never do that..again it wasn't "logging" so I didn't take it seriously.tree Tree hit the ground..one ...two...three...felt like a truck landed on me..put me face first in the dirt.lifted my self up and it looked like a deer just got shot where my face was...and getting worse.
Luckily a buddy was close and had a rag in his pocket..got it over the wound and got me in a truck.said hes taking me to the hospital..i sad no get me to my wife let her decide...when she pulled the rag back a C shaped piece of my scalp stuck to it and she was looking at part of my skull about the size of a pop can top.
15 stitches later...and a nice scar...
that 2 inch diameter branch hit left of center...and glanced off...2 inches..maybe one inch...would have been a remake of Roxies uncles situation..it would have pierced instead of glanced off..and god knows how it would have went..Dead? Coma..forever?...brain damage..?
I look at my scar..raised on one side because of scar tissue from that piece of scalp having to reattach to my skull..as BEST case scenario..and probably saved my life. Wear a helmet...and don't let friends or family cut trees down without them either. Widow makers aren't the ones you see...It the ones you don't.

thecfarm

I cut wood on my land,I wear a hardhat.My wife will walk up to visit me at times,she knows,make eye contact,if I'm cutting down a tree stay back,never come up behind me if I'm on the tractor and all that other stuff. One day she asked why don't I have a hard hat? Good point,I never thought of that. I went and brought her one. When she comes and visits she has it on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

Knocked silly 3 times by W makers.
All 3 times was wearing a hard hat.
twice in the seventies once by my co worker when working too close and the other time due to my carelessness.
the last time was in 1995, knocked my hard hat off and drove me to the ground.
Completely ruptured my left ACL.
Had it fixed and it is still OK, but now have arthritis in both knees.
Look up and then look around for a good escape route.
Had numerous other close calls.
Be safe my friends!
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!