iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OH CRAP - out of time.....

Started by Engineer, April 13, 2005, 08:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

Help.   :o

I need octagon pegs for three separate frames.  Don't know where to buy stock, don't have time to make it, and the lead framer doesn't want to use round pegs.

Any ideas on where I can get 500, 14" long oak or hickory (or locust) pegs in three weeks?

beetle

Engineer,

I have 2 listings for peg suppliers, one specificaly states "supplier of octagonal pegs" I do not want to post their contact info here so shoot me a personal message with your email and I will give you the contact info.

Jeff
Too many hobbies...not enough time.

Engineer

Thanks guys for the replies and e-mails.   I found a wholesaler who supplies one of the bigger timber framing companies, and he'll sell them through a friend who owns a woodworking shop.  So, indirectly, I got 'em.   Had to buy a bunch in full length stock form, though - 1000 lineal feet of octagonal hickory. 

I also just got the TFG Resource Guide in the mail, and it listed three suppliers, two of whom sell octagons.  So I'm good.

J

etat

I just can't help wondering if this thread somehow helps answer a question about something I saw a few years ago.  I was working in Baldwin MS and as I passed a truck stop I saw some logging trucks lined up.     What really caught my attention about them was they weren't loaded with logs, they were loaded with long thin poles and none of em were of any size diameter wise.  I didn't really have time to stop but I did whip through there to get a closer look.  These were hickory poles, long and slim and cut from very young trees.  There were either three or four truckloads of em.   I  couldn't imagine why someone somewhere was either growing or cutting hickory trees that small. Even if someone were for some reason clearing a immature stand of em, why would they even be hauling em somewhere" Now I'm wondering if they weren't destined to be sent somewhere to make pegs out of?  At the time the only thing I could think of was hammer handles or maybe ax handles, at a glance none of em seemed much bigger than that.

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

beenthere

Doubt they would be handle material, as they are made from clear, straight-grained hickory blanks from good grade of sawlogs, to the best of my knowledge.

Maybe green chips for smoking meat? Or a steak grilling restaurant cooking meat over an open fire (ate in one of those in Jackson, WY a couple months ago, where the elk was grilled over a wood fire). But honestly don't know, and would wonder the same as you as to why.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

etat

I've wished manys a time I'd a found me one of them truck drivers and asked about em.  I've never seen anything like that load of poles before, or since.  And I'm still wonderin about em.  :)
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

pappy

Jon,

I might be a tad late but these guys are close to ya.

http://www.pegs.us/

Walpole, NH 
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Jeff

Ck, I have one very probable answer for you. It has to do with the great demand for hickory rustic furniture.  I get asked by every amish guy that knows me where they can find a source. Tammy and I have some bar stools that show an exmple of just how small of stuff they use, and they use a bunch of it.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

Use Willer in Florda fer dat. ;D ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

etat

Jeff, that's about the size I remember them poles a being.  Thanks for giving me an explanation that makes sense. 

Engineer

Pappy,

Thanks, that's Scott Northcott's website.  He does lathe-turned pegs.  Not what I want this time, but if I needed round pegs, that's a good place, and the prices are reasonable.  He is one of the three in the TFG guide.

etat

Boy I hate to keep buttin in here but I just thought of something else that really ain't got nothing to do with none of this.  I remember one time in the spring of the year my granddaddy peeled the bark off of some little hickories.  He wanted the strips of bark to rebottom a couple of old chairs so they could use em  in the kitchen when company was over.  I have no idea what ever happened to em but  one of em practically had my name on it cause it was the one I always claimed and set in when I was over there.  :) 

Thank You Sponsors!