iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cut my first Mesquite log today

Started by ForestMan, April 11, 2010, 01:14:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForestMan

Here are some photos of my first mesquite I cut.  I know they are close-ups, but I think the grain is very nice.  It was a short log, about 3 and 1/2 feet long.

I'm going to use this particular board to make a cutting board for my wife.  It is 3/4 inches thick and will have to trim the 3' + board down to size.  Mabe I'll make a second for my wife's mother.
There is nothing like the natural beauty of wood.

fishpharmer

Forestman, nice job.  How does cutting the Mesquite compare to other logs you cut? Is it a very dense, hard wood?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

ForestMan

Yes, mesquite is very dense and one of the hardest woods.  It is also one of the most stable woods in the world.  There is very little movement in the wood when drying and does not take up moisture again as easily as some other wood species. 

It cuts really well.  I had no trouble.  A couple of times it would bog down a little and I had to cut a bit slower.  I guess that is for knots or if I was trying to cut faster. 

The wood is very heavy because it is so dense.  But it is quite pleasing to look at.

Texas Ranger

And, in the best FF tradition, the slabs and edgings are good in the bar-b-que pit. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Qweaver

How far east can Mesquite be found in Texas.  We had a deer lease in Big Wells, Texas, (south west of San Antonio) that was just covered in Mesquite.  The land owner ended up deep plowing to get rid of it.  We'd bring a trailer load home with us every time were went out there. 
I'd like to find a closer source.  Finding logs big enough to saw must be a problem.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

ForestMan

San Antonio is in a very interesting area.  It is right on the line between the gardener's 8 and 9 zones, it sits at the foot of the hill country, east is farmland and west is almost semi-arid.  We are still fairly humid here, which surprised me, being from east texas.  I thought it would be dryer, but we still get moisture from the gulf of mexico.

I don't know the exact answer to your question, although I can say that not too far east of san antonio the trees change.  Probably 100 miles or so east and it looks different already.  I don't really recall any mesquites closer to houston than that.

I got this mesquite from a tree service guy.

I met another tree service person not far from where I live.  He has agreed to dump all his logs and chips on my property for free.  He asked if I wanted one or ten loads a week.

He says he is cutting a lot of ash right now.  It will be interesting to see what comes out of the back of his truck.

Also, he said that a farmer plows in the chips to replenish the minerals in his soil.  I have 26 acres with very poor soil, so I'm planning on doing that with all his chips.  Hopefully I can get free logs and turn my soil around too.  That would be great if I were able to do that for free.

Magicman

On January 1st, on your second post, you talked about sawing Mesquite.....and now you did.  Congratulations.

Your plans are coming together very nicely...... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ForestMan

Thank you, Magicman.  I feel very blessed to have a sawmill. 

I feel that the Lord had a hand in this.  I now have a power I never had before.  I can take logs and turn them into lumber.  I will soon be able to dry them too.

I want to create a business and make money, but with all the commotion in the world, I have a way to really help others in a way that I did not have power to do before.  It is humbling and amazing to me.  I hope to serve others as much as I help myself with this new tool.

Carpenter

Congratulations ForestMan on your new mill!  It is pretty empowering to be able turn a raw resource into a useable product. 
     I lived in Carbon Texas for a short time.  It is between Abeline and Stevenville and right on the edge of the hill country.  We use to tie our horses to mesquite trees, but 100 miles north of there the mesquites were just bushes.  I had no idea that it was a good hardwood.  Thanks for the info. 

Thank You Sponsors!