iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying pine for a log bed

Started by Wade60, September 14, 2014, 11:41:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wade60

I helped a friend cut a couple trees down in his yard and he gave me the wood to make a log bed out of. They are freshly cut so I am trying to not mess them up.  My first thought is to peel the bark off while they are still green but he mentioned insect damage. I am not planing to do anything with them for about a year to year and a half.

My question is do I leave the bark on or take it off.  I am a total newb to this type of construction so any insight on log prep would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Wade

Ianab

I'd take the bark off. Reason is that it will dry faster, and that's what protects wood from insects and fungal attack. Bark tends to attract bugs.

You may get some checking as the logs dry, but that's to be expected. The logs will be stable once they are dry.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

Get the bark off for sure. Get the logs up off the ground. I would also think if you need them 6 feet long,I think 8 feet would be a good idea. I feel a foot on each end more to be on the safe side. How big across are the logs?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Wade60

That was what I was thinking. I cut them into 10 foot lengths. I just wanted to make sure I had enough to work with. The biggest is about 10 - 12 inches on the butt.

I have them elevated on a couple pallets and will tent a tarp over them to ensure good airflow as they dry.

Thanks for your advice. I just wanted to make sure I was heading in the right direction. 

WDH

The inner bark has sugars in it that attract the bugs.  I would also say that elevating the logs to keep them from staying wet in contact with the ground and rotting, and then removing the bark are the two best things that you can do. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

I built our Bed as I brought it out of the woods. it was Northern White cedar however.  That was about 5 years ago, and it looks just as good today. Here is a link to the build

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,39063.0.html

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

red oaks lumber

peel the bark off, place them off the ground and keep out of the sun (wood will golden) if you can keep the rain off them also, you'll get mildew speckles all over. yet you need air flow.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Wade60

Thanks guys. I have them elevated on pallets and will make a tarp tent to keep rain off but allow air flow.

Jeff, that is an awesome bed. I am rethinking a couple things I had planned to do on mine. Thanks for the link.

Den Socling

I love the butts that Jeff included in those post. That really looks nice.

Wade60

I do too. He set a high standard. My wife liked the look of his bed. So now I got the make yours look like that speech. Thanks Jeff.  8)

Thank You Sponsors!