iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

drying pine

Started by xlogger, July 06, 2016, 05:56:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlogger

Got my first load of wood to dry for a customer today. Danny this is the one I ask you about a couple weeks ago. It's pine slabs and been in solar kiln before he brought it to me. It's mixed up on a pallet,  most 16/4 with mc at 22% and 8/4 with mc at 11%. Now on my lignomat with probes it came to that, but I only when in maybe an inch. So not sure what core of 16/4 is really at. Will it hurt the 8/4 to stay in till I feel like the 16/4 is dry? I'm not really sure how to check to see when mc is down on the 16/4. What should I do?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

It is ok to keep the thinner lumber in the kiln so long as the kiln is not too dry.  Often the kiln can run at 9% EMC, but drying pine under this MC results in poor machining. Some folks might even like 10% EMC better than 9%.

To measure the MC use a pin meter, and drive some ordinary nails into the core...2" deep.  Position them so that you can put the pins of your meeting on their heads.  This method will measure the wettest spot along their length.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

bkaimwood

Pine has a tendency to begin weak and brittle when over dried, causing more issues when tooling, working, and finishing. I would not mix those 2 thicknesses...the 8/4 will dry much sooner, and create overdrying defects and loss. I don't feel it will fall into the category of "acceptable degrade". Just my 2 ยข...
bk

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I agree that pine behaves like it is brittle and warps more when dried under 10% MC.  That is why you must keep the kiln at 10% or maybe 9% EMC.  This condition prevents any and all over drying forever. 

It is good to remember that the planer knives with dry lumber are working on the outside layers of the lumber, so avoid lower EMCs at all costs.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

xlogger

So maybe I should call and tell the man to come and get the 8/4 out tomorrow. I'm sure its will be near 10% but will check. Would it hurt if I ran the temps up to heat treat the 8/4 before I took it out and leave the 16/4 in?
Timberking 2000, Turbo slabber Mill, 584 Case, Bobcat 773, solar kiln, Nyle L-53 DH kiln

bkaimwood

That's a great question...I had 12/4 pine, mid 20's MC in my kiln, and started a sterilization cycle for stuff that was ready...day one the 12/4 was ok...day 2 I started to see the 12/4 end check...I can only get my kiln to 136, so felt it needed days to sterilize...it's a gamble, but if you have the ability to be on site, and closely monitor it, I'd try... something else to consider...I don't know of anything that lives in pine at 10%...so why bother to sterilize in the first place? PPB can survive in dry wood, but hardwood, they do not like softwoods. I see no need to sterilize. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. If you are setting pitch, a different ballgame, but I doubt you are doing that with your current kiln?
bk

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The old house borer (which actually likes new wood) can infect dry pine

bkaimwood

Quote from: GeneWengert-WoodDoc on July 07, 2016, 10:02:54 PM
The old house borer (which actually likes new wood) can infect dry pine
How common/prolific is this one, Gene? What are its higher risk regions?
bk

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Maine to Florida to Texas to Michigan.

It was believed to have been introduced to the U.S. in the 1800s.

Thank You Sponsors!