iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractor chains... info, experience and or thoughts?

Started by kusky, March 07, 2012, 10:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kusky

Great info on the 3pth logging winches so I thought I'd ask another question.

I am also looking into a set of chains for my tractor. I am running R4's and the rears are 16.9 X 24's.  After what I have read I feel they are a must for winter logging and such.  My dad runs a Kubota M5700 and had a scare a few weeks ago coming out of the woods on a small will when he went a a pretty good slide. He wasn't running chains of any type. 

What are you using?  What are you using them for?  And I need a couple of suppliers names (webistes) if possible?  I am located in New Hampshire so shipping costs will be factored in.

Thanks in advance.

Al_Smith

I use sections of log chains which attatch with eye bolts drilled through the rims .Six on each rim of a Fergueson TO 20 . It will chew its way through 3 feet of snow which we haven't had for quite some time .

Ironically this year I was Johnny on the spot and got the chains mounted first of November rather than my usual middle of a snow storm .Don't you know no snow to amount to anything all winter . :D

thecfarm

Labonville close to you?
Al,I will remind you next November to put your chains on.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kusky

Quote from: thecfarm on March 07, 2012, 02:41:02 PM
Labonville close to you?
Al,I will remind you next November to put your chains on.  :D

I checked the Labonville website but they don't have my size available but I am planning on a road trip (good two plus hour ride) there next weekend to check out the winches so I can put that on the list as well. I wasn't going to get ice chains but after hearing some stories about sliding on icy slopes with canadian and regular chains from a couple of people I am thinking the extra money would be well spent.

a old timberjack

you in new hampshire? go to chappel tractor, b and b chain. milford new hampshire. they make custom chains for all types of equipment
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

Jim_Rogers

I use tractor chains on my machine year round.

I seem to always need them. I do repair them alot because of it, but with some repair links it's not to bad.

I may have an extra set that I would sell you. If you want me to look in my shed let me know.

I'll sell them for a lot less then new, but we can talk if you wish.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Maine372

my fathers tractor has 14.9-24 R1 tires. we found a set of ladder chains cheap, but they tended to just fall into the gaps between the lugs. so we found a set of old truck chains and used the cross chains from that set to connect the cross chains on the tractor set. this kept the links up ontop of the lugs where they would do some good.

remember to check the clearances between the tires and the fenders.

bill m

This is what I run on my tractor

Check out Global Forestry Supply in NH. A friend just got front and rear chains for his tractor. His rear tires are the same size as yours.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

rogdan

These guys http://www.tirechains.com/ have the best prices that I could find online and they have a drop down selector (make sure you choose industrial) I have clearance issues (compact) and held off.

Al_Smith

A regular ag tire on a tractor is made to grip good in soft dirt .Even if the things have good high treads left they don't do well in snow and are worthless on ice .It only gets worse as the tires wear out .

In my case I have a set of bald eagles on the little Fergy I keep at the house mainly because among other things I use it to mow with .If it had good tires it would just tear my front field to bits in the spring when the ground is still a tad wet .

g_man

Mine are H-pattern chains made by Tellefsdal in Norway. They make 8mm (5/16) and 10mm (3/8) chains. These are 8mm's on 12.4 X 24 R1 tires. Got them thru Desmarais Equipment in Orleans, VT.
These are similar to or the same as Aquiline H-pattern chains.

stavebuyer

Can't help you with sourcing but can say even in summer a set of tractor chains was the best money I ever spent. They do wonders for maintaining traction on slick limbs, small poles, and roots that otherwise can give you fits.

DeerMeadowFarm

Bill M - Do your chains ever slap the rear fenders; it looks real tight to me. I was going to buy chains for my MF 1552 but the dealer recomended 3" of clearance for chains an I wasn't even close.  :(

wheelinguy

I agree with g-man, i run the tellefsdall chains on my tractor as well.  Easy to install and have incredible bite!

bill m

DeerMeadowFarm, My chains are close to the fenders and I have not had any problems.

This picture was taken last winter. These are Ofa chains I bought from Labonville 9 years ago. They now carry Trygg brand that I have on the front.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

lumberjack48

I seen a guy put tractor chains on a skidder, in two days he had a pile of chain pieces.
If i was going to use it for logging i would spend the extra money and put skidder chains on it.

This is what i would be running on all 4 skidder tires if i was logging again.

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

John Mc

Lumberjack48 -  Do you have many hills in your area? Those don't look like they'd do much for lateral traction. How are they operating on a side hill?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

lumberjack48

There are a few hills, don't you know thats why were called flat landers. In the winter all low ground or swamp logging, the track chains would have done the job. Look how smooth they get around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msPGQTsXk5Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go4vFEcJvxA&feature=related
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

oldbones

I had ring chains for years on my 4-wd tractor. They were good.

Recently I switched to studded chains like bill m's.

There's no comparison--the studded chains are far superior.

I can't remember who makes them. My John Deere dealer tracked them down for me.

John Mc

Double ring chains are great in mud, and some snow conditions, since they are self cleaning. They leave a bit to be desired on ice or hardpacked snow, or on solid ground.

As someone already mentioned, tirechains.com is a great source. I got my v-bar ladder-style chains there. They also stock a number of other styles.

[edit]  Oops... just realized you guys weren't talking about double ring chains when you said "ring chains" they are two quite different designs.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

kusky

I've been checking out several sites and I like the looks of the V-bar duo-grip tractor chains at tirechains.com.  I've got a couple of other sites that look good as well. They are fairly inexpensive compared to some but look as if they will do a good job for what my use and needs are I think.

jcbrotz

I have 2 sets of them 1 on the JD and one on the 262 cat. love them but the cat is kinda hard on them. Gotta remember not to spin on hard surfaces with the Cat you can and will break :D. Many times.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

John Mc

The v-bar duo-grip is what I would have purchased, if they made them to fit my tractor's tires (15 x 19.5, R4's). They are a great choice. You do need to exercise some are - like any studded chain, spinning your tires on pavement an do some damage.

As it was, I had to settle for the v-bar ladder style chains. They are a definite improvement of bare R4 tires, even though some of the chain drops down between the treads. I can drag my box blade right up the steep part of my driveway, even when it's a solid sheet of ice.

John Mc

mr T

Hi Kusky  Last winter i ran ladder type chains on myKioti They were not good at all  This winter i bought a set of Trygg ice chains from canadian chain in skowhegan  Work great  good price Check them out They have website& better price than Labbonville

Bobus2003

Quote from: lumberjack48 on March 10, 2012, 03:39:47 PM
I seen a guy put tractor chains on a skidder, in two days he had a pile of chain pieces.
If i was going to use it for logging i would spend the extra money and put skidder chains on it.

This is what i would be running on all 4 skidder tires if i was logging again.

Those are amazing to run.. the 648's were my brother works have them and and they have no traction problems and they take skidders where most wouldn't think of taking a machine

Ed_K

Try TCR.com  (tire chains required)over in Maine.I run the h pattern on the landini and diamonds on the tayler. run them yr round and have had good luck with them.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!