iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spencer Tape trouble

Started by KyLogger, November 11, 2014, 10:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyLogger

Soooo, I noticed that my tape wasn't rewinding, and was following me around like a dog today. I figured the spring was weak (no big deal, the this is gettin old). Anyhow, I noticed that the blue housing is spinning round and round. I can tighten the spring up by winding the housing, but what keeps the housing from spinning on the frame? Looks like a small pin up on top but I'm not sure.

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

treeslayer2003

screws keep coming loose in mine..........i kinda expected it to be a little better

BargeMonkey

Ive got 2 on the bench i tried fixing, got a bit frustrated.  :rifle: 

celliott

Those can be a real pain....
I had the tape break when I was cruising one time- fixing with a leatherman, duct tape and 24 degrees with snow, great fun :D

The blue housing is held on basically by the screws around the housing, on the locking ring. To tension the spring, you loosen the screws up so you can turn the blue housing, and wind the spring. Then re-tighten the screws on the outer locking ring.

I've had a few apart. They can be very frustrating.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

redprospector

Hahaha. Fixin' Spencer's is an art form.  :D
They're good tapes, you just gotta stay on top of things.
Don't let the screws get loose or your spring will unwind. A dime will fit the screw slots. I prefer a dime to a screw driver most times.
Watch the spacer post where the tape comes out. Keep it rotated, and don't let it wear in half. Move another post down to that position if necessary.
Once a year I pull mine apart and lube the gears with graphite.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Spartan

I put a lot of time and some money trying to keep up my spencer tape.  Finally fixed the stupid thing once and for all... went out an got a Husky tape.  Never had a problem with it so far, and I like the nail set up on it much better.

John Woodworth

I've never heard of the Husky tape, how are the Different?
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

KyLogger

I figures it was something akin to rocket science! LOL... I notices the wear on my spacers last refill I put in. Moved it like you said. Gonna fix it today. I scored another one free because my buddy's is messed up too. I see a business opportunity here ;)
Thanks for the tips guys.
Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

David-L

keep the multiple screws tight and you be good to go. My local saw shop carries those screws and Windsor and Husky tapes. I like the Spencer with a baileys nail and some electrical tape on the end so the nail don't flop.
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

petefrom bearswamp

I took the hook from a broken diameter tape and put it on my spencer.
It hooks nicely on one of the cross pieces so it out of the way and doesnt snag.
I dont use it nearly as much as you fellows seem to and when my last one took a dump I tried to fix it and gave up and bought a new one on sale for about 35 bucks.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

redprospector

Quote from: KyLogger on November 12, 2014, 05:34:35 AM
I figures it was something akin to rocket science! LOL... I notices the wear on my spacers last refill I put in. Moved it like you said. Gonna fix it today. I scored another one free because my buddy's is messed up too. I see a business opportunity here ;)
Thanks for the tips guys.
Tom
I have several old Spencer's saved back for parts. Sometimes they'll strip a gear, and I can salvage the tape by using a gear from one of my "parts tapes".  ;)
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

treeslayer2003

i hate that bailey nail, can't stick it in oak with your finger. a friend has an old spencer with a fine wire......stick pin? like set up. it works much better but i don't see them on new tapes.

redprospector

I make my own nails. At TSC you can get a box of small horse shoe nails for about 16 bucks. With a ball peen hammer, and a 2" trailer hitch ball you can form the head into the size and shape that suits you. The nails are easy to bend into the shape that you prefer. And with a good bastard mill file you can sharpen it and make it as thin as you need to make it stick good. All of this takes less time than it takes to sharpen a chain on your saw.
I have 2 tapes rigged up usually. One with a thin nail for the harder stuff, and one that just has a good sharp point on the nail. Gotta watch the thin nails though, sometimes you can stick them deep enough that they won't pull loose at 20 or 30 feet.  :o

WDH

When that tape comes screaming back at you, that nail can be a deadly weapon  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

celliott

Quote from: WDH on November 12, 2014, 08:29:36 PM
When that tape comes screaming back at you, that nail can be a deadly weapon  :).

And when you try and slow it down once it's screaming back at you, the metal tape can cut your fingers  :-X
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

KyLogger

Got it fixed, lost a couple screws. The rest were loose. I couldn't buck timber without one. Sure beats the 4 ft. stick most guys around here use ;D

Thanks for the help guys.

Tom

redprospector

Hahaha. You don't want to sit down on a good sharp nail either.  :o

Quote from: celliott on November 12, 2014, 08:33:28 PM

And when you try and slow it down once it's screaming back at you, the metal tape can cut your fingers  :-X
The trick is to not let it get to the screaming back point. Like I said, it's a trick sometimes. I still get a little slice on occasion.  ;D

redprospector

Quote from: KyLogger on November 12, 2014, 08:44:00 PM
Got it fixed, lost a couple screws. The rest were loose. I couldn't buck timber without one. Sure beats the 4 ft. stick most guys around here use ;D

Thanks for the help guys.

Tom
Good deal!
Glad it was a simple fix.

Spartan

Here's the Husky tape
http://www.husqvarna.com/us/accessories/chainsaw-accessories/measuring-tape/

The D ring on my spencer kept breaking and I got tired of trying to replace it or get a refill.
This has a break away log nail and you don't need to really push it in to get it to bite.  also you just turn the housing with you hand if the return spring needs to be wound.  also has a quick release to undo it, no tools needed.  A little more spendy but has saved me in the long run.

luvmexfood

A little off subject. I had a Lowe's Kobalt 25 ft tape with me the other day. Somehow I dropped it and didn't see it. Cut a Poplar (34inchs at the butt) and the full weight of the butt landed on it. Only damage was it bent the belt clip a little.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

KyLogger

Since when did anybody ever got off topic around here? ;) These guys are the kings of hijacking threads!! LOL. Beside it's not completely off topic. It's a thing with numbers on it that is usually smarter than the operator (me).

Tom

enigmaT120

That Husky tape web site isn't very detailed.  Is it two-sided, with diameter on one side, like some of the Spenser tapes?

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Reddog

http://www.husqvarna.com/us/accessories/chainsaw-accessories/measuring-tape/

QuoteSimple, lightweight design. Can be adjusted without tools. Marked on both sides.

No dia markings on the Husky ones I have seen.

Thank You Sponsors!