iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

I agree MM, I think it may be all the lobulated bark with inclusions trapping dirt and sand, as well I swear I can see a silica like reflections in the wood.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

I don't think that it is dirt/sand, but the silica in the wood itself.  The majority of the ERC logs that I saw have never touched the ground and "wind blown" would not be an issue/concern.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Banjo picker

I just wish I had some good cedar to saw.  I traded for some a few years ago, that I used on my house but there is no sawable cedar on my place.  My dad used every one of them for fence post.  That was his best choise I guess, as we have no black locust or bo doc either. Cedar grows might slow here as well.  Got some small ones, but they won't make saw logs for me. Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Kwill

Quote from: Magicman on January 12, 2019, 03:09:13 PM
I have sawn many Mbf of ERC with 10° blades, no problem.  

Not related to the 7°T subject but ERC dulls blades quicker than about any other species that I saw.
Are the ones you cut fresh cut or habve they set awhile? I try to mill everything as i cut it
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

DPatton

The majority of the ERC I have cut has been milled with 10* blades as well. No problems as it saws easily, but requires me to use more blades than other species. I wouldn't say in my experience that it makes much difference in how it saws between fresh felled logs, or logs that have been down for a few years.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Magicman

Some of both Kwill, but most has been felled/bucked that same year.

Some ERC sawing pictures.

Here I have already sawn two piles and moved the sawmill up each time.  Not much left before I finished this job.

Ready for the stacking shed.

Different customer.

His lumber.

Another nice trailer load.

And another.

This is not any of the above sawing.  This trailer load plus another was loaded onto the trailer seen in the background and hauled to Good Soil, Saskatchewan, Canada, which is over 3500 miles.   :o

Loading the above shown trailer.  Wheeeeie!!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Banjo, bring all the trucks and trailers you can find.  come here and I can get you in touch with farmer/ranchers with 15 30 foot tall piles of eastern red cedar trees from pasture that are removed to allow for water to make grass (not like in Colorado).  the piles are dry and they are waiting for a chance to burn them in the field.  Not worth the cost of fuel.  it is a great wood, 2nd to Walnut in my opinion.  

Crossroads

Tried the t7's on some blued pine today and I like the results. I pushed them right against the governor and they cut flat. With no tail gunner and smaller logs, I was only able to average 200 bd ft/hour though. 

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Magicman

Nothing wrong with 200 bf/hour.  I have sawn many hours and with a tailgunner and produced less. 

Southside

Quote from: Crossroads on January 12, 2019, 09:32:15 PMI pushed them right against the governor and they cut flat

That's exactly how you want to run them, it's their happy place.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

rjwoelk

Are the 7s for hardwood only?
What is the lowest power you can use? Any one try them on a l15  with 19 hp?
I am cutting Birch  and Hemlock.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Bandmill Bandit

Hey RJ 

When Garry was at the Agritrade show in Red Deer last fall he was running turbo 7 carbides on an LT 15 that was set up along side the LT50 running the same blades. From watching both mills Id say the Turbo 7s worked as good on the 15 as they did in the 50. 

You could call him and chew the fat with him a bit on the topic. 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Magicman

For me they are performing excellent on all species and they zip through knotty SYP better than 4° blades.  I can only speak for my sawmill and have no experience with lower powered or gasoline engines.

JRWoodchuck

I have a 19hp diesel home built saw and I use the T7, they work well for me. 
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

WLC

Quote from: rjwoelk on January 13, 2019, 07:02:33 PM
Are the 7s for hardwood only?
What is the lowest power you can use? Any one try them on a l15  with 19 hp?
I am cutting Birch  and Hemlock.
I don't know the answer, but if my WM dealer has any t7's in stock I'm going to get one or two as an experiment come spring sawing season and try it on my LT28 and see what happens. I'm alreay running the regular 7° double hards.  I figure I've wasted more on less if it doesn't work.  BTW, I only cut birch and spruce so will see how they cut on both.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

rjwoelk

Thanks fellows,  yes I will check with Gary.  Sure have had some good talks with him, knows his stuff.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Stephen1

WM sent me the Carbide 7 and it is great. Frozen, half frozen, big EWP, lots of knots,  it does a beautiful job. I have been sawing for 4 days,, not a huge amount of bd ft but enough to know, this is blade is amazing. Using dbl hard I would have gone though 4-6 blades for sure. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Banjo picker

Quote from: doc henderson on January 12, 2019, 08:31:56 PM
Banjo, bring all the trucks and trailers you can find.  come here and I can get you in touch with farmer/ranchers with 15 30 foot tall piles of eastern red cedar trees from pasture that are removed to allow for water to make grass (not like in Colorado).  the piles are dry and they are waiting for a chance to burn them in the field.  Not worth the cost of fuel.  it is a great wood, 2nd to Walnut in my opinion.  
Thats a little too far to drive for a load of logs. :D Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Florida boy

Been slabbing with the csm. 32-40" wide 7'4" spalted pecan. Been down 2 years + has a decent amount of spalt on some slabs... wish there was more . This log was in the 40" range

Hooterspfld

Nice Florida Boy,

What type of saw/chain are you using? Winch on the mill?

trapper

Had a 18" x 9'  walnut guy wanted to buy.   Cut the bark off with a semi dull blade.  Put on a fresh resharp  Got about 6" and sparks were flying.  Put the band cover on my  lt30 wrong and touching the band.  Put on  a fresh resharp and cut  a 10 " board.  cut second board and 2' from end of cant more  sparks.  Tried digging out nail but wasnt sure  I got it all of it so flipped cant 180 to get a couple boards with another  resharp  before cutting the 2 ' off the end of the cant. A foot from the end more sparks.  Two nails this time and bigger than the first.  Another resharp and 2' off the end of the cant I finished the log.  
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Magicman

Nice Florida boy.  :)

Marv, sounds like you had a "sparkling" good time.  :D

Florida boy

No winch 2 people (handle on  one side) using granberg chain that came with mill. Works pretty good i guess. Only used this mill a couple of times. Does anyone know what pecan slabs actually go For?

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Florida boy on January 15, 2019, 08:31:40 AMDoes anyone know what pecan slabs actually go For?
Some of them go for a walk when they start to dry. :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!