iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My back 40

Started by pappy, April 26, 2004, 08:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappy

Here's a link to an aerial photo of where my house is on the planet.

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=10&x=2656&y=26115&z=19&w=2

You can see the "strips" of the different land owners and mine is the center one with the white spot in the field,(that's where I dump and spread my planer shavings).

If you click on the left arrow you'll see my house, wood shop and barn near route #11.  If you click the arrows to the right you'll see our back 40 and on down to the Fish River.

This site is really cool. You can not only see a picture of where you live but you can get a topographical map of the terrain of your land and surrounding area.   If you play with the meter resolution bars to the left you can zoom in and out.  To can find your area by just typing in your town in the search box and hit go. You can then zoom down to where you live.

I thought land owners, foresters, loggers, sportsmen and sportswomen  and just about anybody else could use this site as a tool. 8) 8)

Jeff you might recognize this??

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=14&x=211&y=1523&z=16&w=1&ref=P|Harrison,%20Michigan,%20United%20States

pappy
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Jeff

Here is a little closer.

<<LINK>>

This is the segment where I am. I drew a line around our land. You can even make out the pool behind the house.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Here's my back yard, errrmmm woodlot and a ski hill :D :D :D

http://www.klondikekonsulting.com/woodlotaerial.htm

be advised its a 385 kb page ;)

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

billbobtlh

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=11&x=1921&y=8441&z=16&w=1
I can't wait for some newer arial photos.
This is my back twenty the vinyard is at the top center of the rectangle.House and pool a little down and east.
West end is all planted pines.

SwampDonkey

Here's my house lot:

Here I am surrounded by spud farmers :D

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=12&x=742&y=6435&z=19&w=1

Here is my woodlot and the farm as you saw in my post above, but in black and white. You can pan to the west to see the ski hill on Mars Hill, Maine

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=12&x=741&y=6441&z=19&w=1

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Tinker Hydro Dam on the Aroostook River in New Brunswick. This dam supplies Fort Fairfield, Maine and Perth-Andover NB with power.

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=12&x=742&y=6480&z=19&w=1

Power Generating Plant in Fort FairField, Maine. Uses hog fuel and wood chips.

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=10&x=2939&y=25902&z=19&w=1

Huber Forest Products in Easton, Maine. Wood yard at the top of the imagery.

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=11&x=1459&y=12920&z=19&w=1

Fraser Papers in Edmonston, NB and Madawaska, Maine. See the white plume from the mill near the mouth of the Madawaska River. The larger river is the Saint John which forms to international line here. Pulp is sent from the Mill in Edmonston through a pipeline into Madawaska. You can see the pipeline and a bridge beside one another at the port of entry.

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=13&x=344&y=3278&z=19&w=1

Columbia Forest Products veneer plant, Presque Isle Maine with white plume

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=10&x=2867&y=25857&z=19&w=1

SwampDonkey

UNCLEBUCK

thanks termite , that planer sawdust pile looks of good size! I am going to enjoy trying this website out for awhile .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Stan

The old Swanson place, which is how you tell the locals where I live.  :D

They tell me it used to be bigger before the Forest Service moved the line.  ::)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

SwampDonkey

Stan did they use the bulldozer to mark out the line? ;)

Stan

No their line is the one on the top, it actually runs straight as a ruler, rather than the way my shaky hand drew it. You can't tell from the picture, but most men can't walk that line and dozers have to go either up or down hill, not sideways.  :D Sometime in the late 50s they just resurveyed their line and decided to move it 50 feet further my direction. The folks here at the time didn't have the resources or inclination to take the Feds to court.  :-/ That bright gash in the middle is the electric right of way and my corn/tater patch.  :)

SwampDonkey

:D Stan:

Growing anything 'sides taters back there? I found on an earial photo a small garden and by chance alone, I was on that lot and walked to where that garden was and HEMP was growng. The narcotic variety. :D :D  I find tons of the stuff every year when I mark out pre commercial thinning. hahahah ;)

pappy

UNKBUK,
The shaving patch ain't so big.  DEP said some 20 years ago I could spread them as long as it isn't deeper than 12" so I spread it out to 6" or less  :)  that's why it looks so large from 39,000 ft.   ;)

Stan,
how can ya have an electric right of way on your land---with no electric right of way---coming or going to/from other abutting neighbors ?? did they sneak in underground both ways up hill then cut all your trees cause of some bona fide reason that they could only understand--or??

looks like a very nice remote spot you gut up in them thar hills  ;) would you be at the end of the rudd?? could your abode be the clearing at the right of your sketching

Swamp Donk,
looks to me you be out tourin' the lower 48??  What---you think you gonna move on down??  :D :D looks like ya really liked the BIG DOWN TOWNS---that USGS site can take you almost anywhere in the country.  I say that because they don't have any aerials of north western Maine.  Twas wonderin' if there's any other places in the lower 48 that don't have any aerials.
What about "upstate Alaska" I bet there would be aerial void places there ????? :P :P :P
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

Jeff

HEY! Image must be no more then 350 pixles wide!!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

termie:

On Mount Mckinley in Alaska, I could only find topo maps on the server :D

I located places I've visited or was interested in on the server. Some places, such as Busch Gardens, I had to pull up the Yahoo maps to get the streets and then zoom in with the USGS photo. I have been there and as soon as I zoomed in on the photo it became familiar. Its been 20 years since I was there and to Disney World. ;) Those mountains and canyons sure look flat on aerial photos. :D :D

You can get photos of NW Maine I bet from the forest service or a logging company. ;)

Did you notice the overlap into New Brunswick (on the USGS) and vise versa on my webpage photo? :D My photos are 12500 or 1in=1040feet and colors. Only thing is, the person that ordered the photos for the local woodlot association didn't realize you could get the red filtered photos which helps distinguish the forest covertypes and field drainage patterns much better. And when they laminated the photos they didn't trim the white border first. Oh well, amatures. ;D

pappy

It's tough getting photos from the land company's---those cost money--when I was a woods boss it wasn't a problem

I would think no matter what angle you look at FL it's FLAT  :D :D :D

Stan

Termite
That's my place in the middle, the R. O. W. runs from the place on the right. You can only see the scar cause the rest is covered with blackberry brambles. I like to keep them out of the taters.
Our last place was one of 4 houses on a two lane road, when we bought it. When we sold it the land all around had filled up with strip malls, and the 8 lane road pinched down to six at our line. That's why we picked remote!  8)

Donkey
Yeah, I am grownin' okra, cukes and 'maters on the other side of the house, grass ain't sellin' here so good, we are second to CA in earthquakes and meth makin'  :-/

SwampDonkey

Stan:

Looks like your place is pretty rugged. I can see alot of gullies in the terrian. It also seem the wood growth is younger on your property too. I can see large hardwood crowns off in a distance from your place.

Do you have quite a long hill up to the house? Who ploughs all thatin winter? and how do you get phone access in remote areas? Up here, if one lived in a remote place you'de be on your own. ;D

Termie:

Are they asking for more than $5.00 a photo? Alot of times with those companies they are quite busy, and gathering photos for folks not working their land isn't a priority. ;D ;)

cheerio

Stan

Yes it is rugged, yes the woods are relatively new. Yes there is a long hill up to the house, and you canguess who does ALL the work here, can't you?  :-/
If you think this place is remote you ought to have been to Frank Knapp's ranch in the Tehachapi Mountains of Southern California. He had a satellite phone that the phone company installed, it ran on solar power too, Frank didn't run his generator all that often.  :D :D

Jason_WI

Here is my dad's dairy farm. You can see the moo's in the pasture ;D And the large pool in the back :D :D :D

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=10&x=2404&y=24899&z=16&w=1

Here is my dad's entire farm. Everything boxed in red my dad owns. About 410 acers.

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

redpowerd

LOVE THIS THREAD
love it
ill get all my crap on here someday, too busy bouncin in the tractor followin lines

termite is double fisted? :D

im just gettin used to the pc in the tractor ::)
guess im slow
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

SwampDonkey

I've been quite impressed with this thread Termite opened up last week. There sure have been quite a few views in that time and also a few hits on my areal photo link. If anyone has a request for help finding a photo I'm sure some of us can help locate one off the USGS site or from other sources. I know I can get anyone in New Brunswick an aerial  photo or they can contact the Department of Natural Resources or Service New Brunsick, they have recent photography for about $10.00 a photo. Another option is to visit your local Forest Products Marketing Board who have a photo library of your local Board area. The best place to start is with your local Board because they will have GIS with all the photo centres marked on a  shapefile layer which they can click the mouse botton on for the flightline and photonumber. All you need to provide is the Property ID number (8 digit tax bill number). I routinely make maps from these photos on my GIS where I rectify their positioning with known ground coordinates of the New Brunswick grid system.

Cheers all. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!