iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slang

Started by shopteacher, May 01, 2004, 01:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shopteacher

Today I was changing spark plugs on my truck. Ever try changing plugs on them things now days. I wound up taking the passenger wheel off to get to that side. Seems the engine compartment got smaller to go along with the engine. Anyway, I was  listening to a country station when a commercial comes on about a contest they had won and a girl shouts" Holy Crap" to being the winner.
   My question is this; why is it acceptable to say crap vs. the four letter s word?  Why is screw, bang or a dozen other words OK to substitute for the F word?  Doesn't knowing the meaning of the substitute make it as wrong as the original word? And what about the N word? I really hate that term "the N word". If I say he called him a "N word" you know what I'm referring to, so isn't it virtually the same?  If I came up to you and actually said " I think your a N word" would that be as bad as using the actual term?
  I reckon them two philosophers CK and Duane will be able to set me straight as to the right or wrong of it. :D
 Just kind of puzzles me, that's all. ???
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

J_T

Yea that Dr Roof and Duane don"t talk over your head  8) Even I can understand them. Think some one called us three The Soda Pop Gang ???
Jim Holloway

etat

:) :) :)  That's us!!!!
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

old3dogg

Teach.
I think it is refered to as being "political correct".
Limp wristed liberals can be blamed for this!
You know its the same kind of folks that say we dont need saw mills because we can buy lumber at the lowes or we dont need farmers cause we can buy milk and eggs at the 7eleven.
They just dont get it.

Tom

I have a lot more respect for someone who is making an effort to use correct grammar than someone who depends on "low-brow" slang.  I understand that even profanity may have a place in conversation to make an emphasis on something by using shock values.  What divides the couth from the uncouth is the ability to acknowledge the company one is in when spouting off-color remarks and gutter language. It's a smart person who can find words that don't offend.   I'm not talking about the offense of a straight-laced stiff neck who uses their superior attitude to place their pompous stature above their company.  People like that are as rude on one end of the spectrum as the proverbial drunken sailor.is on the other.  I'm talking about the fellow who hasn't realized the difference in public and private conversation.

I find it personally embarrassing to be in the company of someone who curses on the street, on the sidewalk, in a resturant or store or even on forums llike this.  It's not good enough to know who your audience is when there are others who can here what you say.  Those others can be young school kids, preachers, teachers or just your everyday citizen who is not wanting to be associated with profanity.  Older adults should know better.  The younger generation that thinks it is smart to shock the public with their verbal abuse only decry the adults in their life who taught them no better.

Thanks to my parents, I can speak with a vocabulary that doesn't offend.  I make an effort to keep my language acceptable so as not to discolor their good reputations.

Unfortunately, many miss this point or just don't care.

shopteacher

I guess what really disturbs me is the amount of profanity that I hear everyday in the halls at school. It has become so much of the younger generations language they don't even realize what they've said. When I call them on it they look at me puzzled or the infamous "What".  As I was working on the truck today and running those thoughts through my mind I just don't understand where we're headed anymore.

Tom

Keep calling them on it.  Somebody should.

It might even be that having them as a captured audience in your classroom would give you the opportunity to express how important it is in the "real" world to be able to speak correctly.  It's also a trait that should be learned if they intend on spending any time in public in their future life.  They will be measured by their speech, their dress, their personal hygiene their personality and their respect for age and authority.  They may not like hearing it, but that's how it is. :P

Jeff

Have you tried to listen to their music? Disturbing.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

CHARLIE

Jeff, is that what they call that?  Music?  I've always wondered what it was.  Now I know. It's different than what I know as music.  That stuff not only doesn't have a tune but the lyrics are extremely offensive. ;D
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

old3dogg

I just have to ask.
What did your parents think about "your music".
These days you just have to relate.Get in their heads.Listen to what they think is cool.
You just cant slap them up for getting out of line anymore.Those days are gone.
Listen,relate,talk,understand,and TEACH.
Most kids these days just want to "belong".
Help them do that.
I think that you will find that these kids today really arent as bad as you think they are.

Tom

Old3dogg
I judge people, the young ones too, as I suggested in the post above: "They will be measured by their speech, their dress, their personal hygiene their personality and their respect for age and authority.  They may not like hearing it, but that's how it is."

It's common knowledge that one generation doesn't approve of all the following generations do. This is the first generation that I've been associated with that fails on most of the criteria that I use to determine an individual that I would associate with. I soon find that I don't associate with them.

I have worked with young men and women for many years and until the 1980's found that I could find some good in most of them.  Those since have been more interested in tearing up personal property, standing in the middle of the streets daring drivers to ask them to move, using some of the most vile and profane language in public that I've ever heard anywhere, stand nose to nose in a shouting match with police officers who are trying to get them to go home after midnight, rapping or "singing" songs that blatantly call for murder, torture, sexual misconduct, overthrow of the government and subjects so vile I refuse to listen. Those who sell the trash should be imprisoned for contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Using the terms relative to the older generation being wrong and coddling the younger generation is futile and wrong. What the younger society today is doing is "wrong" no matter how you cut it.

How we developed into such a lily-livered society, pandering our youth and being afraid to parent is beyond me. If you watch the news and compare this society to those of the past, you will find that we are already reaping the whirlwind.

firtol88

Most of the problems referred to in this thread can be attributed to the broad scale promotion of a particular ethnically based culture. The comical part is that this culture happens to be almost entirely void of any redeeming qualities. As a country we have decided to cater to the lowest common denominator. Since this group as a whole seems incapable of raising itself to the level of it's peers, in the name of inclusion and equality it's shortfalls had to become normalized. In normalizing these lower standards we have done a disservice to society as a whole...  

Thank a Liberal. Thank yourself...
There's men who drink Guinness, and there's men who drink what's left when we're done with it.

* Note to Democrats, yes please flee to Canada!

old3dogg

Tom.
I feel that not all of todays kids are as bad as you say.
Every generation has a few bad apples.
"Cant see the forest because all the trees are in the way"
Maybe Im just defending my 2 kids.Because to me ,they are GREAT kids.

shopteacher

I just want to say I do have a good number of kids who don't fall into the category that has been portrayed in this thread. They are average go to the movie, go to the dance, do well or OK in their studies, etc.
  However there seems to be a growing number of teenager that fall into the category Tom has described and like Tom I tend to judge by the same standards he has outlined.
   Watching the news you see teens doing things like drive by shooting, murdering their parents, bashing somebody for sheer pleasure, destruction of property just because it's there.
    Parents can't parent anymore, the kids have rights, touch your kid and they'll call CYS, sue you, or murder you.  The schools are much the same, powerless to govern, afraid to provoke parental or public scrutiny. >:(
    Nuff said. :(

Norm

I mentioned we used to allow our sons to use the basement rec room to have dozens of friends over for parties on weekends. You couldn't have asked for a nicer group of young folks, we never had any problems...period. Ok one food fight but EZ does the same at his dinner table. :D

To equate them all based on the actions of a very few is not right. My sons and most of their friends are hard working honest young men and women. Please don't pre-judge them all by the actions of a few.

EZ

As a Christian, we are not supposed to say any word that would lesson a smile. We are suppose to have a smile on our face at all times, hard to do at times tho, cause we are only human. Like if I hit my finger with a hammer I'm going to say, o-my, well that hurt a little, with a smile on my face. ::)

When the girls and son-in-laws come over and they are having problem with something or someone and they are telling us about their problem. Sometimes they get a little carried away and start to cuss. If they get to carried away with the cuss words, I stop them dead in their tracks.
EZ

Patty

I gotta agree with Norm (now there's a first!) and old 3 dog on this one I think.
Yea there are the bad kids that you see on tv, tv isn't gonna show the good kids, they don't get the attention the bad kids get. The majority of the kids I see and have contact with are no different that you and I were at that age. My folks hated Alice Cooper and the drugs and all that that my generation stood for...we were all gonna go to hell in a hand basket...but for the most part we all sobered up, dried out, got jobs and lived pretty normal lives. This generation will do the same. Those parents who won't raise their kids are no different than the parents of the last generation who wouldn't raise their kids. A good friend of ours used to have to go get his dad from the bars every night 'cause he was too drunk to drive home. Same deal, different generation.
If you treat any kid like you want to be treated, with respect and with dignity, for the most part you will be treated with the same respect right back.
Don't be so hard on these kids, if you are so worried, then get out there and try to change it. Ok my 2 cents is spent. :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Stan

That there hip-hop or rap don't offend me, I can't figure out what the words are!  :o
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

old3dogg

Stan.
I dont think there are words.just a bunch of noise.

Stan

My brother says the words are in some African language called Xosha where clicks and pops have certain meanings. Since his youngest is a teenager, I 'spect he knows mor'n me.
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

shopteacher

It's the intonation Stan, the intonation. I know something evil and vial is being transmitted. I just know it. :D

Den Socling

I don't think that much has changed except for news coverage. You see on TV things that you would never have been aware of 40 years ago. There's a lot of good people and a few bad in every generation. The other day, I saw a guy run a stop sign and a girl blew her horn at him. He made an obscene gesture and yelled profanities at her. She looked like she was in her teens and he was in his thirties. Made me in my fifties want to grab the jerk by the neck and ...oh yeah ... which is the bad generation?

Tom

Den Socling

OK things do change.  :D

Den Socling

now has that been for the better or worse?  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!