iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LogRite Report

Started by Captain, May 03, 2004, 07:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain

It was late on Thursday afternoon, and I was waiting for logs to show up at the Springfield, MA show when Forestry Forum sponsors Kevin Bantle and Pete James walked up to me carrying a shiny new blue 48" LogRite peavey.

I had seen LogRite's tools before, Kevin and I had met up in Eastern Conneticut.  They are obviously well constructed, solid, and suprisingly lightweight and comfortable.

This 48" peavey has really been put to work in the last 4 days, rolling over 4000BF of logs.  After using it all day Friday at the show, Kevin stopped by and checked up on me.  After listening to me raving about the tool, he explained all of the research that went into their designs, including studies of all the antique tools they could find.  Although when we compared the hook angle to my cant hook from PV Manufacturing they were nearly identical, the LogRite tool's point on the hook is much better.  My biggest problem with wood handles is they don't seem to make good prybars.  After moving some monster Pines and abusing the LogRite handle as much as possible for a 175 pound part-time sawyer, I can say the I never expect a failure or much less a bend of their aluminum handle.  What an awesome, awesome tool.  A product that sets the standard.  Everybody that has picked it up and used it wants one, including my wife so now I need 2.....

Captain

Jeff

YEA LogRite!!  8)

So what are ya'll waiting for?

You can support our forum sponsor which in turn supports your forestry forum HERE!
http://www.logrite.com/

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Rocky_J

I couldn't stand it, just had to have me one of those blue Cants. How much does the 48" cant weigh? The website didn't list a weight, they just said it was lighter than a wooden handled cant.

Jeff

Rocky, I'll point this thread out to the logrite boys so they can answer up those questions. :)

neslrite

Rocky.
The weight on the 48inch cant hook is about 7.5 lbs.

neslrite

rule#1 nobody ever puts just one nail in a tree  LogRite Tools  www.logrite.com

neslrite

Captain,
Thanks for the compliment, now it is my turn.

When Pete and I had a lull in the crowd Sat. afternoon I had a chance to see the Captain in action. I must say I was quite impressed both with the sawyer and the Peterson sawmill.
  As a woodmizer owner it hard to get over the fact that you do not have to cut through the log to make a board. That peterson is a nice machine.

Kevin Bantle   neslrite
rule#1 nobody ever puts just one nail in a tree  LogRite Tools  www.logrite.com

Pete J

Captain,
Thanks for the pat on the back. We try to do things right, it's just good to hear it from others.

I will also say I was impressed at the way you were making the chips fly during your demonstrations of the Peterson Sawmill. The speed that machine cuts was a surprise to me. It was fast! Tell the folks at Peterson to keep up the good work. They have a nice product.
Pete

Norm

We have a couple of short handled cant hooks for the sawmill, they're as worthless as teats on a boar. Last time I tried to use it it kept slipping off the log, I finally got so pithed I gave it a toss (Patty ducked). Most of the logs we deal with are pretty good size, my question is which is better for my use a cant hook or a peavey?

Blue's my favorite color. ;)

Pete J

Hi Norm,
Our mill can handle log's up to 36" diameter and we use a pair of 42" cant hooks with no problem. I'd recommend a cant hook because you effectively have two biting edges that grip the log instead of one like a peavey. If you deal with larger logs, you might be happier with a 48" or 60".
Pete

Tom

A canthook is my choice over a peavy around the mill, hands down.  I don't like that spike coming near the toe boards, rails, guides etc when working with a log on the mill. The flat bottom of the cant hook tends to slide off of the metal than dig in.  The Peavy point is longer than the where the hook contacts the pole and seems to be always getting in the way.

I feel saver without a spear on the workplace too.

About the only thing I've found a Peavy better for is storage. You can stick it up in the ground. You have to lean a cant hook on something or just throw it down. :D

Stan

Tom I think t-posts are less expensive than peaveys, unless you want that antique look.  :)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

AtLast

I just got a hookeroon from LOG-RITE and its VERY VERY impressive...VERY well built....VERY strong...looks GREAT and does what I wanted....balenced nicely  but still light weight....HATS OFF LOG-RITE...I am DEFINATELY a satisified customer!!!!!!

Rocky_J

7.5 pounds??!!! How can anything that light be heavy-duty enough for me?? If it gets bent the first week, can I get a refund? Something that light I might be afraid to lean on it too hard for fear of breaking it!
 :o

Pete J

Rocky J
The LogRite tools are designed to be used while working. The fine print specifically states that the warranty is null and void if the tool is used for leaning. Here is the actual fine print.

"the warranty is null and void if this tool is used for leaning. Get back to work!"

Just kidding. We offer a lifetime warranty against breakage of the handle. We don't dare people to try and break them by running them over with a skidder a dozen times either. If they are used properly, we expect you to have a tool that will last a lifetime.
Pete

Rocky_J

To update everyone, I got my peavey hook today. Unfortunately, I wanted a cant hook but I ordered the wrong item. I emailed Pete and he was very helpful as well as prompt in his response. I was hoping I could simply change out the tip, but the two tools are manufactured differently. So I'm sending back the peavey and Pete is sending me a cant hook.

I'm very impressed with the construction of this tool. Even without using it, I can tell it is sturdy enough for me to do some serious leaning on it without fear of bending or breaking it. This will be a very productive tool for me and most likely the last one I will ever buy.
 8)

Jeff

I'm going to talk to our mill owner about getting the guys a new pickaroon. They have one that has a broken handle they use for pulling cants towards them on the green chain. I would like to see him buy a timber carrier too. I'd buy it, but I'm not that dedicated to our company. :D

Thank You Sponsors!