iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Parts availability for old saws.

Started by tjdub, January 28, 2011, 09:55:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjdub

I'm a bit frustrated at the moment.  I have two Jonsered 930 saws one of which I've had and used for about 15 years.  I absolutely love these old saws and wish I could keep maintaining them, but the fact is, they've officially reached the status of unrepairable.  Both of them have cracked plastic intake boots and there are just no more new replacements anywhere.  The best you can do is get a used boot, but you know all that used plastic is fast approaching the same fate.  One of these saws has been rebuilt in the last few years and they both have had carb rebuilds, but now they're probably set for junk status.  I have one parts saw which may have a good boot on it, so I can probably get one running but it seems like such a waste.

The dealer told me that you can't even get a lot of parts from the next generation of large saws (2094, 2095) anymore (which coincidentally is another saw I have!).  Then he recommends that I just buy a new 2172.  If I have to throw it away in 10 years, what's the point?

I went and bought a Stihl MS650, it seems like they have better part support.  Is this true, or am I just kidding myself?

Jeff

Have you tried Chainsawr in the list of sponsors for parts?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

tjdub

Quote from: Jeff on January 28, 2011, 09:57:52 PM

Yeah, they have the part listed (new and used), but out of stock in both cases.  There doesn't seem to be any new ones left anywhere.

Saw Dr.

I can certainly help you dispose of the obsolete 930's and 2095!   :) :) :)

The parts are not found as easliy as ordering at the dealer, but there are solutions to this.  At this point, the 930 is probably better off as a once-in-a-while machine.  If you do drop a tree on it, the parts will take a while to collect.  There is no reason not to have a 2094/2095 as a work saw.  Parts are not very hard to find for a saw nut, which there are plenty on this site.  The 71cc Husky/J-red strato's have been getting pretty good reviews.  I doubt they are going to put much of a smile on your face if your are accustomed to 90cc power. 
I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

tjdub

Quote from: Saw Dr. on January 28, 2011, 10:26:53 PM
Parts are not very hard to find for a saw nut, which there are plenty on this site.  

To be honest, I went through the same frustrations years ago when I needed a coil and the dealer told me I needed to buy a new saw.  I found a used coil and kept on going.  I'm not sure I can rationalize spending much on a stupid piece of 20 year-old plastic though.

QuoteThe 71cc Husky/J-red strato's have been getting pretty good reviews.  I doubt they are going to put much of a smile on your face if your are accustomed to 90cc power.  

Yeah, I use a cs2171 from time to time and it feels and sounds a bit like picking up a kid's toy after putting down one of the 90cc saws :)   On the other hand, if I use the smaller saw first, the big saws sure feel heavy  :D

Saw Dr.

Quote from: tjdub on January 28, 2011, 10:46:06 PM
Quote from: Saw Dr. on January 28, 2011, 10:26:53 PM
Parts are not very hard to find for a saw nut, which there are plenty on this site.  

To be honest, I went through the same frustrations years ago when I needed a coil and the dealer told me I needed to buy a new saw.  I found a used coil and kept on going.  I'm not sure I can rationalize spending much on a stupid piece of 20 year-old plastic though.

QuoteThe 71cc Husky/J-red strato's have been getting pretty good reviews.  I doubt they are going to put much of a smile on your face if your are accustomed to 90cc power.  

Yeah, I use a cs2171 from time to time and it feels and sounds a bit like picking up a kid's toy after putting down one of the 90cc saws :)   On the other hand, if I use the smaller saw first, the big saws sure feel heavy  :D

....Soooo  you want me to PM my shipping address your way????

Just kidding.  What's the story on the 2095?  Can you use it as your "daily driver?"
I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

tjdub

Quote from: Saw Dr. on January 28, 2011, 10:53:14 PM
Just kidding.  What's the story on the 2095?  Can you use it as your "daily driver?"

Actually, it's a 2094 I have.  It's been the "daily driver" while the 930's were getting torn apart.  At the start of last month we were running 5 Jonsereds (cs2171, cs2165, cs2094, 930, 930) and had 2 part saws on hand (cs2094 and 820).  Times have been a hard because now just the cs2171 and cs2094 are still cutting and I seem to have grown my part saw collection considerably!  I bought a used Stihl MS650 this week though, so we'll see how that goes.  When I brought it home my 5 year-old was not impressed and told me it was "the wrong color". :D

weimedog

I love to bring those old Jonsereds back to life...so far I have three running 920's and a 2094...always looking for parts! You need a place to junk them...split them between B200Driver & myself! Or..send me two and I'll send you back one running...& keep the other for my efforts :}

Parts are hard to find on that series ...but they are still out there if your willing to look. For a production saw...probably not the right concept. They were 1980's era big bores...so they have to be at least 20 years old! Not bad when you amortize their initial cost over all those years.

And your premise is right...for old saws Stihl and Husqvarna are probably the best bet if a supply of factory original parts are the criteria for selection...
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

snowshoveler

No problem on the parts for the 2094 and 2095.
PM me the part number of the intake pipe for the 920 and 930.
Im  mechanic at a Canadian dealer and many more of the older parts are still around.
For instance that 2095 was still being sold in 2001 and 2002.
regards Chris.
PS a pic of the pipe is good to.
we bought out a retired Jonsered dealer and he had some real interesting stuff that we cant identify.
Intake pipes and boots are there with no numbers.
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

tjdub

Thanks Chris.

The part number is:

# 504 12 08 02

There's also a photo on this page:

http://store.chainsawr.com/products/jonsered-830-920-930-chainsaw-intake-pipe-boot-pn-504-12-08-02-new-box-c

Let me know if you have any, I'll take two if you do.

Al_Smith

Scott gets stuff in all the time .You about have to give him a call on the phone . He's a congenial sort .

nhlogga

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 29, 2011, 10:17:32 PM
Scott gets stuff in all the time .You about have to give him a call on the phone . He's a congenial sort .

If you don't see what your looking for on the site, call or email them. Chances are they got it.
Jonsered 2260
Husky 562xp

Al_Smith

tjdub

Yep, I emailed Scott and found me a used one. :)

Spike60

The problem the OP has run into regarding Jonsered parts is due to the policy of the importer which is: 10 years after a saw is discontinued, they stop bringing in parts to support it. Then it's just a matter of time before the inventory gets drained down. They do this regardless of how popular the saw was, or how much demand still exists for those parts. It's even starting to show on the 630/670's now. I tried to order a 670 P&C this fall and was kind of shocked that it had recently become and NLA part. (piston is still available though) I solve some problems by ordering parts from Husky, but you can only get part numbers for items that were common to both husky and Jonny. Husky is contractually restricted from selling Jonsered specific parts.

It bugs me, and it bugs my customers. Some of them are long time Jonsered users, but they are switching to Husky. Husky and Stihl do a much better job of continuing to support older saws. As long as there is enough demand for the parts, (and the tooling holds up), they're happy to sell them.

Like Weimie said, any unwanted 900 series saw that's laying around should be grabbed, regardless of condition. There's always a few parts on it that will be useful.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Al_Smith

It's gets to some point in time that no matter what it might be the parts and labor would exceed the value of the piece of equipment .

Then say if it's a saw the dealer takes the thing in trade for the cost of the analization of repairs and sells the customer a new saw and they are both happy .Then along comes a tight wad like me and buys the dead saw and revives it then I'm happy too .

Anything can be repaired ,rebuilt whatever .The question remains ,is it practical ?

Saw Dr.

I suppose I seldom do what is practical.  I recycle everything I can out of our trash.  That takes far more time and energy than just tossing it.  There is no curbside pickup here either, so I am stuck carting it 20 minutes to the recycling center.  Same goes for saws.  I just can't bring myself to let a complete saw be scrapped.  Quite often I have been able to take two seemingly junk parts saws and make one runner for the cost of my time.  The pile of 038 is starting to get full right now.  Time to shuffle the cards and see how many runners fall out.

Super 250

Al_Smith

Well yes .I do the same thing .

I was more refering to the average saw owner who because of one reason or another is either not as mechanically inclined or just doesn't care to fiddle with them.

You get to paying full  retail for parts and 50-60 bucks per hour  in labor it doesn't take long to dump a bunch of money in a saw .

On those 038's for example .It wouldn't take much using OEM parts and a Stihl dealers labor to exceed what that saw cost brand new .Just price a case split,new bearings and new top end and see what that would be . Scares me and I'm fearless  :D

tjdub

Quote from: Spike60 on February 06, 2011, 08:20:29 AM
The problem the OP has run into regarding Jonsered parts is due to the policy of the importer which is: 10 years after a saw is discontinued, they stop bringing in parts to support it.

It's true, and I wish Jonsered dealers were more open about it.  I didn't know about the 10-year support policy until I started looking for parts this last time.   It's laid out on Tilton's (Jonsered Improter) website here:

http://www.tiltonequipment.com/html/faqs.htm#Information6

If you're selling quality high-end saws, you would think you would want to provide at least as good of part support as MTD saws selling on the shelves at Home Depot.  It's really pretty sad.  I feel sorry for the suckers buying a brand new CS2171 when it's just been replaced by a CS2172 and they're paying $800 for something that's junk by the time the first piece of plastic cracks.

I just wish I could gauge the life my equipment has left by how wore out it was instead of playing the lottery on how long I thought I could go before something as simple as an intake boot needed to be replaced.  It's hard to stick much money into any kind of repair when you're concentrating on plastic's longevity.

Al_Smith

Popularity of a certain brand always goes back to the support of said brand in a certain geographical area .In this area with an abundance of Stihl dealers obviously they are the leading seller of more high end saws .

The closest Husqvarna dealer is 35-40 miles away and is less than a good service center .Others such as J-red or Dolmar only ever had one dealership carry them and they didn't have the best of reputation .

The ones purchased at Sears and Roebuck,Home Depot or TSC are used by occasional users and about the first time the saws don't start they trot off and buy another one . It might be 10 years before that happens though .

Quite frankly the reason I am more  familiar with both Stihl and McCulloch is simpley the fact there are more of them around and not so many  of the others .

Spike60

Quote from: tjdub on February 06, 2011, 11:25:15 PM
The problem the OP has run into regarding Jonsered parts is due to the policy of the importer which is: 10 years after a saw is discontinued, they stop bringing in parts to support it.

It's true, and I wish Jonsered dealers were more open about it.  I didn't know about the 10-year support policy until I started looking for parts this last time.   It's laid out on Tilton's (Jonsered Improter) website here:

If you're selling quality high-end saws, you would think you would want to provide at least as good of part support as MTD saws selling on the shelves at Home Depot.  It's really pretty sad.  I feel sorry for the suckers buying a brand new CS2171 when it's just been replaced by a CS2172 and they're paying $800 for something that's junk by the time the first piece of plastic cracks.

In the case of the 2171/2172, every external part with the exception of the cylinder cover will interchange. In fact a 2172 top cover will fit the 2171, but not the other way around.

The other problem with that parts policy is that the more popular a saw was, the quicker the parts supply is exhausted. Particularly on the pro stuff because those saws get used hard and need parts more frequently.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Al_Smith

Then you get to the option do you try for new OEM parts or good used stuff ?Used work as good as new if they are in good shape .However you take some saw models like a 2100 Homelite .They didn't make that many to begin with so the parts would be rare as a hens tooth and real pricey  if you could find them .Any large saw though whoever made it is going to be pricey period .

Others like the 10-10 Mac or 038 Stihl were made by the zillions so parts are easy to find and if not so a donor to rob parts from .

Chris J

Quote from: tjdub on February 06, 2011, 11:25:15 PM

I just wish I could gauge the life my equipment has left by how wore out it was instead of playing the lottery on how long I thought I could go before something as simple as an intake boot needed to be replaced.  It's hard to stick much money into any kind of repair when you're concentrating on plastic's longevity.

I agree that the 10 Year Parts Availability is sad, but don't forget that many Jonsered models are re-labelled Husqvarnas (for example, Husqvarna 372XP = Jonsered CS2171).  Many parts are interchangeable.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Thank You Sponsors!