iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pole Saws

Started by 555JM, October 07, 2013, 06:24:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

555JM

Hi,
New here, but not to chainsaws...AS refugee :-\  Started looking at power pole saws recently.  Have a dozen or so nut trees badly in need of pruning, some large evergreens that need work, and some brush thickets that need thinning (heard the pole saws work good for that).  However, I've never used a power pole saw.

Was comparing the Husky 327P5x with the Stihl HT101.  Then happened upon the Echo line and, after looking at the PPT-266, stumbled upon the PAS modular line.

The thing I like about the PAS (thinking PAS-266) is that they'd be lighter for the down-low pruning and that the 3' extension (and its weight) would only be needed for the higher jobs (salesman said that two extensions could be used).  That, plus there are also brush cutter, string trimmer, and hedge trimmer attachments; all of which would be useful when not using the pole saw attachment.

I've done a search and seen some pole saw posts, but anyone here care to comment on any of the models listed?  In particular, has anyone used the Echo PAS (Pro Attachment Series)?  Usually multifunction tools, while useable, aren't particularly good at anything.  Wondering if that applies here.

exSW

Same deal here,I looked at Echos, that big one is HEAVY.I'm most impressed with the Efcos.Adjustable head,and an extendable(ptx2700)that's manageable. 
"well I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison"

sharkey

We have one of the older Echo and one of the Stihl Telescope jobbies.  Both will reach 12 ft, but the Echo has a 5ft extension for a total of 17ft.  I think you will find the longer the reach the better because you cant stand under what your cutting, you have to stand off to the side.  The echo has been the better of the two for us.

Weesa20

AS refugee as well...I Have a stihl ht101 and really like it....pretty good reach, not super heavy, pretty well balanced, can get a full harness for all day use. Hadn't used in 3 months, 3 pulls and was runnin, just have to use the starting procedure specific the stihls. Oh, and I use the synth oil- has a stabilizer in it that helps with the ethanol I think.

Cattoon

I have had good experience from the Stihl KM90, I couldn't justify the expense of a dedicated pole saw, I bought the kombi with the extension pole a couple of years ago and thus far have had no issues, but I still haven't bought any other attachments LOL, it cuts quick and is handy for clearing trails. I can cut to about 12-13 ft easily and there are several other attachments available.  Have a great day.

thecfarm

I've been looking at that Stihl kombi,polesaw,trimmer,leaf blower would be nice.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

nmurph

Find a used HT 75. They are lighter than the competition, have enough power for a polesaw, and the motors are used in lots of Stihl products.

scsmith42

I spent a day using an HT101 and a smaller Stihl pole saw a few weeks ago.  The HT101 was a real hoss and cut circles around the smaller saw.  I was impressed.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Weesa20

Not sure if everyone knows or not, but you can put just about any attachment on the end of the Stihl straight shaft machines (FS line)...the exceptions are the FS250 and RX100....don't have to have a KM setup to use the attachments but the KMs are a little quicker to change but heavier than the standard FS machines. 

JohnG28

My uncle has a Stihl 101, sweet little deal. Has a 14" bar on it I believe and he has said it will about cut the length of the bar with no problems. I used it for some smaller branches and had no problems at full extension. Reach was at least 15' while standing.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

bill m

I own both the Stihl ht75 and the Echo ppt266. The biggest problem with the Stihl is the splined shaft inside. When you pinch the chain while under power ( and yes - it will happen no matter how careful you are ) the splined shaft will twist. When this happens you will not be able to extend or retract the telescoping section. This has happened to every Stihl I have owned. As for the Echo power pruners I have never had a single problem with any of the ones I have owned.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

thecfarm

Does Echo have just the power head? Than you buy what you want?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mesquite buckeye

I have an older Stihl HT75, about 8 ft long, extends another 5ft. Standing and really stretching I can cut to 17', but not really safely. Above about 14-15 I won't cut anything over a couple inches thick, so not a big deal if it hits me in the head wearing full gear. Probably really safe to around 13-14ft. Really nice for pruning up pole stands and reaching inside monster multiflora roses to cut out the center stems without having to wade into them and get ripped up. This is an exhausting saw to run for any length of time at height without the shoulder sling. Wish I had a way to get to 21ft so I could get one clear 20 or 2 clear 10's. ;D Of course I wish I was 20 years younger and could kick butt like that again. Oh well. ;D ;D ;D ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

beenthere

bill m
Hasn't happened to my Stihl yet. And has been stuck a few times too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bill m

beenthere,
It happened to both of mine and also to one belonging to a friend. I'll stick to my Echo's.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

mesquite buckeye

I have had mine stuck more times than I can remember. Part of that is technique and learning curve. Never got any damage from it other than a popped off chain. I do try to be careful and not abuse tools. Makes a difference. ;D :o :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

beenthere

QuoteI'll stick to my Echo's

bill
That be fine by me.   8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

555JM

Quote from: thecfarm on October 08, 2013, 07:47:44 PM
Does Echo have just the power head? Than you buy what you want?

The Echo PAS series is set up like that.  Buy a powerhead for around $200-$300 and then attachments that include a pruner (10" pole saw), a couple of hedge trimmers, four string trimmers, a sweeper, a cultivator, a brush cutter and even a leaf blower. No one has posted about them, so either they're too new or too light duty to be considered.

I'm afraid the pole saw might not be tough enough for my needs, but I may give it a try anyway.  The other attachments would still make it worth owning.  Hard to go wrong with a 5 yr. warranty and local support.

With a few extra attachments, the power head would see frequent use instead of sitting around waiting for the next pruning job.

nmurph

Quote from: beenthere on October 08, 2013, 08:09:25 PM
bill m
Hasn't happened to my Stihl yet. And has been stuck a few times too.

Me either, and I've owned mine for 5+years. The trick to cutting anything over 1" or so is to make an undercut. Otherwise, the limb will barber chair and pinch the bar. As mentioned elsewhere, a polesaw gets heavy if you use it any length of time. The lighter it is, the longer you will be able to control it and use it comfortably.

Ed

I've had to replace the extension shaft twice on my HT75...1st time after a falling branch caught it, couldn't get the pruner out from under it before it hit the ground, 2nd time the saw was bouncing in the cut on a large Hickory branch, it was enough to twist the splined shaft enough so that it wouldn't slide.

While the pole saws do serve a purpose, after a number of trimmings you can't reach the branches. That's where I'm at now on our property, we'll be bringing in a telehandler with a basket this winter and do some serious trimming.  ;D

Ed

petefrom bearswamp

well I skimmed thru this thread , but here again is my 2c worth.
I have a husky which runs really well.
Th problem is when cutting to the highest branches it jams.
I would think that the MFRS could design a head that angles to cut 90 degrees to the ground. eliminating the binding.
"old guy"
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

mesquite buckeye

Good idea, Pete. Maybe a 45. Maybe a dedicated high saw for branches from 14-22 ft.

exSW

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on October 10, 2013, 06:26:40 PM
well I skimmed thru this thread , but here again is my 2c worth.
I have a husky which runs really well.
Th problem is when cutting to the highest branches it jams.
I would think that the MFRS could design a head that angles to cut 90 degrees to the ground. eliminating the binding.
"old guy"
Pete
EFCO has

mesquite buckeye

Who dat? Also how high does it go?

exSW

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on October 10, 2013, 11:04:47 PM
Who dat? Also how high does it go?
Efco,what used to be Olympyc.PT2700(fixed) 7'5" and PTX 2700(eXtendable)12'5"and head pivots 45 degrees and 90 degrees.I keep wanting one but...I'm cheap.I have an Efco 40cc brushcutter and I've been very pleased and it gets used hard. 

Thank You Sponsors!