iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Inventory reduction

Started by bandmiller2, July 31, 2013, 08:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

I've been trying for years to simplify my chainsaw stuff.All I use is 3/8 chain,only problem is some is .050 other .058 I want to standardize .050 but then get a good used saw with .058 and a new bar.My favorite bar length is 20" 72 drive links seems to balance well, with saws worth owning.Don't mess with home owner or saws under 50cc.I'am going to make an effort to not replace .058 chains when they wear out and have everything .050 and all 20".How do most of you handle this situation.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

John Mc

All my chains are .058",which seems to be the most common in my area (at least for non-Stihl saws).  I'm not sure why some areas tend to use .050, and some use .058, but it does seem to be a regional thing.

Unfortunately, I've got two different pitches.  I like the way my Jonsered 2152 cuts with a .325 pitch, but I use 3/8 pitch on my other saws.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

sawguy21

Stihl uses .050 on most of their models except for the the small homeowner models which you don't want. The Swedes seem to prefer .058. The big problem is finding bars in the preferred gauge. Hard to find some with the Husqvarna mount in .050 or Stihl in .058 since these manufacturers don't use them.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

John Mc

Husqvarna actually sells some .050" bars with their name on it.  Oregon sells some with the Husky mount as well.  I don't know if they cover the whole size range.

In some parts of the country, the .050" bars seem to be the preferred gauge, even on Husky/Jonsered saws.  Around here, just about no one seems to have them.  At a shop in Central NY, a Husky dealer tells me he sells about a 50/50 mix.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

JohnG28

Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

John Mc

I forget the name.  It's the dealer in my wife's old home town of Pulaski. (If I recall, they also sell some ATVs/UTVs)  They're right on the main east/west drag through town.

JohnG28

Looks like Deatons, haven't heard of it before. Haven't been out that way in some time either.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

jwilly3879

I used to work with a fellow who had a mix of Stihl and Husky saws and we always ran .050 20" bars 72dl.

I no longer work around any Stihls but my Huskies are running 20" .050, same on Jred 670, my son runs 20" .058 on both his Huskies. We carry spare bars and chains in both sizes in the truck and they are both available locally.

AdkStihl

All my Stihls are 3/8, 0.050 from 16"-25"
The only oddball is my 346XP which is .325, 0.058
J.Miller Photography

Thank You Sponsors!