iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

granberg alaskin chainsaw mills

Started by JamesE. PikeLogging, July 12, 2010, 09:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesE. PikeLogging

Hi  im going to be getting a granberg small log mill for my 15th birthday and i was wonderin if any of you have one/seen one in action. How do they preform?

terrifictimbersllc

They perform great especially if you are young and like to work.     That's how I got hooked on sawing wood.   Still remember the excitement of my first board, a piece of soft maple maybe 30" x 8" x 1.5".  Remember where your fingers are, and good luck to you!!!
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

OlJarhead

I just started using one (and I'm a little older then 15 ;) ) and I love it.  It takes time but with practice I think I can make decent enough lumber to finish the interior of our cabin
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

JV

I'll keep my big mill, but I use my 52" to break down logs too big to fit the mill.  Also it does a great job cutting thick flitches for countertops, tables, and benches.  My 24" is handy for cutting tenons on timbers.  Keep a couple of jugs of drinking water handy, you'll need them.  All in all, they are great little mills.  Learn how to file a chain and keep a spare handy, they don't work well dull or sharpened wrong.  Chains sharpened for crosscut will work, but properly sharpened rip chains make a big difference.  I run my saw a little rich and take a cool down break for myself and the saw on long cuts.  Use your safety equipment and several wedges.  Good luck and happy sawing.  Post pictures of your first log.

John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Magicman

What a wonderful 15th Birthday gift.  You are being led in a very solid direction.  Congratulations !!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jander3

Works great, lots of work. You should enjoy the chainsaw mill.  Big saw and skip chain makes the cutting go a little better.

sawguy21

Congratulations, what a great tool. What saw will you be using? Remember, a little power is good, more is better and too much is just enough.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

campy

That is a solid mill.
We use one here and it really does a nice job.

tyb525

I bought myself one of those to use with my 20" 036 when I was just a little older than you. It is hard work. Keep it up, maybe some day you'll get a bandmill, and you'll wonder how you ever got along without it ;)

And welcome to the FF!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

JamesE. PikeLogging

Quote from: sawguy21 on July 12, 2010, 10:21:46 PM
Congratulations, what a great tool. What saw will you be using? Remember, a little power is good, more is better and too much is just enough.

I will be usin a husky 346 or a husky 365 on the small log mill

Stephen1

I used one for a cpl of years, some hard work involved, but you'll do ok, the bigger the saw the better.
Welcome to the forum!
We like pictures of what your sawing .
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

sawguy21

I think you will find the 365 barely enough. Ripping takes a lot of power. Regardless, work with what you have and have fun.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!