iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can I cut it down now, or wait till Winter?

Started by VA-Sawyer, April 28, 2004, 08:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA-Sawyer

I have a nice Black Walnut behind my mill lot. It is in full leaf at this time.  I want to get the best possible wood out of this tree. Is it prefered to wait till winter to cut it down ? I would like to get it down before I start on the saw shed, but will wait till Winter if I have to.
VA-Sawyer

J_T

Seen a sawmill office with a tree growing out the top they built around it . 8) That way you got your lumber and food all in one spot ;D
Jim Holloway

Ianab

Best time to cut a tree is when you are ready to saw it  8)
There may be some issues about drying from green in warm weather, but I dont think thats going to affect walnut?
Seems a lot of cutting in your area is done in winter because the woods get too muddy in the warmer weather?
In NZ more harverting is done in summer, because it's too muddy in winter.  ::)
It should not have much affect on the timber anway.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ron Scott

Ok to cut it when you want to, but if you have time, take advantage of  period when the falling, bucking, skidding/forwarding and sawing conditions are best on the specific site.

You may encounter some stain that might degrade the logs some if you cut the tree and then let the logs sit in hot weather for a long period before processing them. Harvest and saw in a timely manner.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!