iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tealite stand

Started by jamesamd, April 03, 2016, 10:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesamd

The first batch of 7 were made as Christmas presents.At that time I had no idea how to control the coloring of the petals.

I then made 4 more as gifts for My loves friends,that I experimented with more in depth.I finished them in 3 days and never took a picture but I learned.
An open frame with a drop-in tier.

Some scrap 2 1/2" copper pipe I split and annealed to flatten,then plasma cut the shape.

After engraving,coloring and shaping.

The bases glued and finished with lacquer and felt bottoms applied.

Next day after epoxy had setup.Ibrought them out on the front steps in the sunlight for a quick pic.
Front lit

And then backlit.

My control of the coloring process greatly improved after I found  could stop the  process at will by cooling the copper with compressed air at any point in the reaction.And if I missed My mark a little more heat would erase the color left and I could make a new attempt in seconds.
I sold My first one last Monday for $100.

Jim

All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

Bark Beetle

You don't work wood, you work with wood.

pasbuild

Could you explain the coloring process please.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

yukon cornelius

Very talented! Thee coloring adds an awesome touch!
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

Those are grand looking!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jamesamd

Quote from: pasbuild on April 03, 2016, 10:59:20 PM
Could you explain the coloring process please.

pasbuild  ;D I apply direct flame from a propane torch to the outer edges of the petals attempting to heat them evenly,removing the heat every 5 to 6 seconds,to see if the copper is reacting,when coloring begins to happen,I start fanning the entire petal a few seconds ,remove flame and watch the change.It happens very fast the hotter the copper is.Starts violet and if to hot ends brown.Trick is to cool it with compressed air at the color You want,If it ends up brown, reflame surface and cool again or let it cool a bit and do over An extremely fast reaction,be ready.  ;)

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

lowpolyjoe

WOW :o.    Very cool project.  Thanks for sharing your technique.

Thank You Sponsors!