iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Venison on the rocks

Started by mike_belben, June 08, 2018, 12:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Probably so.  Im a crummy dad some days.  Hes turning out almost as mean as me!  
Praise The Lord

Weekend_Sawyer

When I'm butchering a deer I use a fillet knife. It works well for deboning and I can fillet the silver off of the meat pretty easily. For the shank meat and any pieces I can't get the silver off (or don't feel like taking the time to) I throw it in the pressure cooker for 20 minutes and then make stew out of it. It comes out nice and tender.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

maple flats

I don't take much time to hunt anymore, but I have a nephew who does. He got 7 last year (all legal too), 3 from my blueberry fields in the same day, one in the morning and 2 shortly before dark. He shoots them from a shooting house the DEC (New York State Dept of Conservation) guys suggested I build when they were walking my fields checking on deer damage a few years ago. That shooting house has been the demise of several deer since. It is 6x6 x7 with an octagon shape (and 8 windows, one on each face). The floor in it is 10' off the ground. Then it has a set of pressure treated stairs with a hand rail to get into it and a nice swivel chair inside. It's been there for 6-7 years and the deer feed all around it, eating blueberry buds and lush grass.
I get lots of venison to eat.
Before I started doing maple syrup back in 2003, I used to hunt several days all day and usually got 2 or 3. It's a good thing my wife and kids all like venison, even my daughter in law, who says she doesn't eat it, but if she think's it's beef it is good!
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

mike_belben

I use a filet knife too.  I try to sort prime steaks and roasts, clear stew chunks, then flat sliced pieces with silver skin for the jerky pile and irregular shapes with SS for the grinder i just got.  And ofcoarse coyote pile of mostly white trash.  

Cleaning the grinder looks like fun.  Im waiting to have a large pile of trimmings before i go through the trouble.  

Good to hear about the boy knocken em down MF :)
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Bambi lost a leg roast in the carrot patch tonight.  I contributed a tall can, splash of whiskey, splash of apple cider vinegar, onion, potato, butter, bacon, a packet of lipton french onion, salt pepper and garlic powder.  Kinda flying by the seat of my pants on this one but it smells right so far. We're eatin it either way. 
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Welp, we ate it.  I messed up by not checking the internal temp of the roast soon enough.  Recipe said 2.5 to 3 hours at 325 to hit 140 internal temp.  I checked at 2hr and it was 180, way overdone!  No idea how that happened, as a camper oven is kinda wimpy.  In hindsight the carrots needed to go in first to soften too. 

Flavor wise, it had a bit too much yeast or vinegar.. Im not saavy enough to really place it but i was a tad disappointed.  Yet my wife and son loved it so i guess its a personal preference.  Im just miffed that i nuked a nice cut of meat.  Hoping the leftovers are better which is the case i find in stews as they dissolve and thicken.
Praise The Lord

petefrom bearswamp

Overcooked is not good with any meat for sure.
I just found out that jerky doesnt need 10 and a half hours in the dehydrator 
Your above comment about venison being free doesn't hold true for me.
Even amortizing my hunting costs over my 60 plus years of hunting I like to joke that it costs me about $129.95 per pound but worth every penny.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

mike_belben

I feel like it pays me about $100 a pound in savings on therapy.  A thorny swamp in the night is about the only place the wife and kids wont follow me around fighting whining pestering and asking for things of me.  And the kids are pretty needy too.

It was slightly better as a leftover.  In hindsight the cider vinegar and alcohol together was just too much fermenting.  I think if i used just one or the other and didnt dry out the roast it woulda been a lot better. But since the wife liked this more than most other dishes i guess its time to try pickling/corning venison.  She loves salty vinegar flavors.
Praise The Lord

WV Sawmiller

Pete,

My jerky did need about 10 hours or so in my dehydrator at 160 degrees to get done. At least a couple of the racks did. Some were done at about 8 hours. I put the other couple of racks in 2 more hours and they were not over done. I want my jerky, which are flat strips of ground venison, to bend and almost, but not quite, break when I fold them over.

My almost 13 y/o granddaughter is quick to grab the bag and hide it from her younger sisters and her dad. I'm hoping to harvest one more deer and make it all into jerky except the neck and shoulders which are too much trouble to bone out.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

mike_belben

Around here mountain folks make a bone in roast from the entire neck.  Wrap in bacon and lard or butter.  Have 2 in the freezer but havent tried it yet.
Praise The Lord

WV Sawmiller

We brown ours in a cast iron roaster or dutch oven (Depending on size and number we are cooking for), add cream of mushroom soup, taters, carrots, an onion, and a couple of sweet potatoes, fill to the top with water, cover and cook in a slow to medium oven several hours. By the time the veggies are done the meat is ready to fall off the bone. We do same with bone in neck or shoulder or boneless chunk of the ham. Any meat left over is great for hash or sandwiches too. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Hilltop366

I have a relative that works at a large convention type place in Ottawa, they were preparing several large roasts for a large wedding reception when the chef released that a terrible mistake was made on the roast cooking time and they were all quite over cooked and dried out to the point that they could not be served and there was not enough time to start over so i desperation they injected as much melted butter as they could in the roast and kept them hot. In the end he said it was by far the best roast that he had ever eaten and although they have a very good reputation they had never gotten so many complements for their roast before but refused to give out the recipe.

gaproperty

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on December 17, 2018, 08:51:16 AM
Overcooked is not good with any meat for sure.
I just found out that jerky doesnt need 10 and a half hours in the dehydrator
Your above comment about venison being free doesn't hold true for me.
Even amortizing my hunting costs over my 60 plus years of hunting I like to joke that it costs me about $129.95 per pound but worth every penny.
lol.  That is a good one but not far from the truth.   
Ray
lostcaper.com
youtube.com/c/LostCaper

WV Sawmiller

Pete,

I learned long ago not to try to justify my hunting, fish, scuba diving, etc on cost effectiveness of the physical results, i.e. Fish and Game yield. However, I would bet if you compared it to a similar number of psychiatrist visits it would probably turn out to be a bargain. Think of it as mental therapy and it turns out to be a bargain. If you are like me I bet you find some of the most rewarding times on the water on in the woods was not necessarily the days when you caught a lot of fish or had an impressive game kill. This is especially true when you have your kids or grandkids or very dear friends and loved ones along.
Howard Green

petefrom bearswamp

Notice that I said that I joke about the apparent cost.
Of course therapeutic value far outweighs the so called monetary aspect.
I heard once that the good lord does not subtract from mans allotted life span those hours spent fishing and hunting.
Hope this is the case.
Also it is like mike said, nice and lean as well as delicious.
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

mike_belben

I think genesis 9 covers that.  Cliff notes are dont kill each other, go hunt/fish/farm and hey, im not gonna flood the place again, here is a rainbow to prove it.  (Though i may mess with you a bit in 2018 just for ha ha's) 
Praise The Lord

petefrom bearswamp

You hit the nail on the head Mike
Kubota 900 RTV
57 acres of woodland

mike_belben

Tonight i took a large leg roast, threw it in a pan on tinfoil, salted and garlic powdered it.  draped it in real bacon from one of them hogs, put some butter squares on top and tossed in half an onion then wrapped it all up and cooked at 350*F until the thickest part hit 145.  I then set the roast aside to settle and put the bacon and onions in a skillet to finish off since they were still rubbery.  Sliced it up, recombined it all and threw on a side of corn.  

Dang it was good.  
Praise The Lord

Kwill

I got a couple bags of deer meat out yesterday and thawed out. I soak it in apple cider ( the kind you drink) overnight. Takes the wang out of it. deepFried some up just now rolled in flour, cornmeal and seasoned salt. Yummy stuff. The rest im going to put in the crock pot with some vegtables and some smoked sausage and broth. We will see how it turns out.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

mike_belben

The wang  :D

I been pouring whiskey on mine.   I guess alcohol breaks down rigor mortis/lactic acids.   Dunno, tastes pretty good to me tho! 

I had 2 front shoulders in the fridge that still needed to be boned out, that turned bad and i had to toss yesterday.  Felt bad wasting it but the neighborhood wild dogs didnt mind.  Freezer was just too full.   I still need to find time to thaw and grind a bunch soon but work is busy.
Praise The Lord

Kwill

The soup stew or whatever you would call it i made was good. It had deer, chicken, smoked sausage, celerey, green onions, yellow onions, carrots,  green peppers, parsley, basil, black pepper, seasoned salt, and chicken broth. It was really good. 
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

rubberfish

Speaking of "Venison on the rocks"

I've got to try some of these recipes guys. I'm moving out of the city in a couple of years.
We bought a small acreage on an island here in the PNW. Poor hunting practices over the last 
50 some years (because bambi is so cute) has led to about 3K deer on a 9 square mile island
with a 1K humans on it. :o We're almost tripping on them while we try to build our home.
Between the crab trap, fishing pole and unlimited deer meat, hoping the freezer and pantry remain full.

And I'll get to play with my new to me 372xpg

Cheers
Confucius says "He who stands with hands in pocket is feeling cocky"
Bob

mike_belben

You can make deer taste JUST like cow if you understand the fundamentals.  Rigor mortis and lactic acids take time to break down.  Beef is aged for weeks, so dont think a 2 hour old piece of deer is gonna match it.  It needs to sit in the refrigerator until the red fades to a brown and the muscle softens up. A deers forearm cannot taste as good as its hams or loins or backstraps because there is just too much tendon tissue in it that cant be removed.  So you gotta butcher em right too.  Tough pieces for burger, jerky or stew.  Only the finer cleaner cuts and chunks for grilling and frying.  The poor cuts with lots of silver skin need a long period of time simmering in liquid so they dont dry out.  You want to see 200F internal temps on that sort of stuff and then itll fall off the bone and cut with a spoon. 

Beef and pig fat taste great.  All white parts of a deer are terrible.  Lean red deer meat lacks fats to flavor when fully trimmed so you need compensation there. Butter or lard and some seasoning.  If you were raised on it salt might be fine.  If you werent or the wife is iffy on it, toss on the salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder or minced garlic sauce, even BBQ sauce or ketchup and booze.  Onions go great with venison, i think sweet/red peppers do too.  For the grill, you want your backstrap pieces rubbed in oil and salt then plopped into a raging fire for 2 minutes per side.  You want an external sear and a fully rare red interior.  DO NOT cut or poke them to check.  Just trust me. 2 mins per side, then 10 mins settling on the plate.  Then eat it. Free filet minon buddy. Goes excellent with grilled potatoes and corn,  fried squash etc.  I cant wait til garden season.

Yesterday morning i had to make room in our tiny freezer and defrosted a few hunks of backstrap and some smaller leg cuts.  I took a big bowl, filled the bottom with ketchup and whiskey [for acid and alcohol to break down and soften the muscle] then salt pepper, minced garlic sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, some grill seasoning and some chipotle.  A hodgepodge of unmeasured everything.  Stirred it up and let the pieces defrost in there.

Went in cabinet, not much in there.  Hmm.   Into the crock went a can of vegetable soup, a can of corn and a can of green beans including all the liquids.  I hunked up a bag of potatoes with skin on, dumped in the bowl of meat and sauce and set it to high all day.  When we got home at 8 the house smelled like delicious meat lust as soon as the door was cracked.  I was cutting 2" thick muscle with a spoon and cant wait to cook up the leftovers.  I wonder what the rich ate last night.   ;D
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

Welp, i messed one up last night.  Neck roast, bone in.  My first try at a multiple layered muscle group with connective tissue [tendon/silver skin] between the layers.  

I made up a ketchup/booze/seasoning & water mix and dumped that in a roasting bag then defrosted the neck in it, rolling around periodically all day.  On a whim i dumped in some vinagarette salad dressing cuz i like vinegar.  Baked it in the bag about an hour on 325 or so and kept it wet.  Internal temp was different all over but too low in center and drying out exterior.  So i pulled it, sliced off a bit of the outside which tasted good, then cut into a bloody rare mess with way more tendon than im willing to chew.  Im still kinda recovering from food poisoning and the smell had my gut nervous.

I almost tossed it over the fence but sliced off the best of it, reclaimed the juices and sat that all fridge overnight in a bowl.  It is now all day simmering in a pot with some wine, water, and 2 cans of chicken noodle soup plus onions and more seasoning.  I hope to pour it on white rice and salvage the time ive put into it all.  Hate to waste an animal.
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!