iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"Rough cut"

Started by irvi00, February 21, 2018, 08:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irvi00

Anyone else out there getting calls and requests specifically for rough cut lumber? They want full dimension, bandsawn lumber and willing to pay a premium. I can't keep up with orders, and I'm pricing ABOVE kiln dried, dressed prices. Seems like folks are after that ole rustic look. 

PAmizerman

That's all I sell. I've never sold any planned material. But then again it's all hemlock.
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Been experiencing it for 7 years.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Southside

Reclaimed wood, farm tables, rustic flooring, and walnut tops, all the in thing these days.  We can thank HGTV for it.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

The reason that I was called to saw that 230 mile away road trip job detailed on the "Whatcha Sawin" topic was that the customer wanted rough cut posts, beams, and timbers.  I sawed ~12Mbf and now he is calling and wanting me to come back as soon as possible.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

irvi00

Quote from: Southside logger on February 21, 2018, 08:20:45 PM
Reclaimed wood, farm tables, rustic flooring, and walnut tops, all the in thing these days.  We can thank HGTV for it.  
Aside from the specialty wood, and "exotics". People are desperate for anything they can get. Even after I explain that squirrels were running on it that morning. 

redbeard

Saw this the other day and thought it was good advertising for sawmillers
Buying Lumber Directly from the Sawmill - Money Saving Hacks for Woodworking Part 3 - YouTube
Edit: 
Well I can't find the one I wanted too share. That was more pertaining to this thread. 
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

WLC

What are they wanting?  Pine, hardwood, or does it matter? Green, or air dried or does that matter?  I guess lots of construction is still going on in your part of the world.  That area has been growing a lot since the late 60's/early 70's when Helen went from sawmill town to alpine wonderland.

Grew up in Robertstown.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

irvi00

Quote from: WLC on February 21, 2018, 09:54:17 PM
What are they wanting?  Pine, hardwood, or does it matter? Green, or air dried or does that matter?  I guess lots of construction is still going on in your part of the world.  That area has been growing a lot since the late 60's/early 70's when Helen went from sawmill town to alpine wonderland.

Grew up in Robertstown.
Growing up I can remember 20 sawmills within 20 miles of us. Now theres 2. Seems like the push is more "rustic" these days. They don't care what it costs. Green off the mill is ok with them.

Dave Shepard

I think I'm the third largest sawmill in my county, but only because there only three sawmills in my county.  :D There used to be many, now there are none even close to the scale of what used to be here. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WLC

Quote from: irvi00 on February 21, 2018, 10:16:44 PM
What are they wanting?  Pine, hardwood, or does it matter? Green, or air dried or does that matter?  I guess lots of construction is still going on in your part of the world.  That area has been growing a lot since the late 60's/early 70's when Helen went from sawmill town to alpine wonderland.

Grew up in Robertstown.
Growing up I can remember 20 sawmills within 20 miles of us. Now theres 2. Seems like the push is more "rustic" these days. They don't care what it costs. Green off the mill is ok with them.
Yep, I guess yall and Mt Yonah are the only two?  Or is Mt Yonah closed down now?  Haven't been home in several years so don't really know.  Is the hardwood flooring plant still there in Cleveland?
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Ga Mtn Man

irv00- Should I stop sending folks your way when they call looking for lumber?  I'd hate to see y'all having to stay open on Saturday just to keep up.  :laugh:
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

goose63

I have a guy that comes from Ft Dodge Iowa 100 to 200 bf at atime green off the mill 

This 100 bf when he askd how much I told him $500 he brought cash Morri just let me know he would like more now if it would just warm up so I can get back to milling
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Brad_bb

Rough circle sawn I can understand.  But with a woodmizer, you don't get good sawmarks unless you're dull or have hit a nail.  I actually bought some rough circle sawn oak that had been sitting a while and was grayed.  By the time I finished it, it was close enough match to the barnwood I was using when I ran short.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

scully

It is a craze ! I know this young lady that started a printing business . She called me and asked if I would mill and build her some "rough cut " lumber shelves . I laughed so hard when she handed me a bunch of printed pictures of rough cut lumber so I would know what it looked like . I did the job with 2" thick pine slabs live one edge 16' long  4 shelves . She almost had tears in her eyes ! I don't see this trend dying off any time soon . As for reclaimed stuff I have seen pit sawn walnut and it is real nice !
I bleed orange  .

WV Sawmiller

Goose,

I'm betting that was 1,000 bf not 100 based on the size of the trailer and such. Can you clarify?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 22, 2018, 12:34:01 PM
Goose,

I'm betting that was 1,000 bf not 100 based on the size of the trailer and such. Can you clarify?
Yea goose, that looks to me like between 750 and a 1000 feet presuming it is 8 ft long.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

PC-Urban-Sawyer

And if that's a hundred bf, I'll take a couple thousand bf as soon as I can get a semi there to pick it up...

Herb

goose63

OOOOPS my bad it was 700 bf boy you guys sure on the ball eh  ;D
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

WV Sawmiller

Goose,

Glad you cleared that up as to the amount and the price. I know my 5X8 trailer stacked level with the top of the side rails is about 500 bf. Also I'd hate to see you selling lumber for 50 cents a bf. I do sell my poplar and pine for 75 cents a bf (and that's probably too cheap) but more for everything else.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bert

Rough circle sawn? Wish i could find these people. It is a look that many flooring mfgs copy but yet I cant deal it. Done a few, but no real guarantee on steady business.
Saw you tomorrow!

irvi00

Quote from: WLC on February 21, 2018, 11:00:29 PM

Grew up in Robertstown.
Yep, I guess yall and Mt Yonah are the only two?  Or is Mt Yonah closed down now?  Haven't been home in several years so don't really know.  Is the hardwood flooring plant still there in Cleveland?
Mt Yonah is long gone. Its me and Hogan now. Last two sawmills standing. Atlanta hardwood and Wilbanks lumber are still running their lumber yards. Thats pretty much it for North Georgia.

irvi00

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on February 22, 2018, 08:22:56 AM
irv00- Should I stop sending folks your way when they call looking for lumber?  I'd hate to see y'all having to stay open on Saturday just to keep up.  :laugh:
Send em on! I'll do my best! Get by here one day and lets talk! 

SawyerTed

I've got 1200 bdft of 4/4 rough sawn 6", 8"' and 10" wide white oak.  The 6" is 12', the rest is mostly 8'.   The trees came down in 1989 in Hurricane Hogo and has been air dried since it was milled.

I can't find a buyer!  What am I doing wrong? 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WLC

Quote from: irvi00 on February 22, 2018, 07:54:47 PM
Quote from: WLC on February 21, 2018, 11:00:29 PM

Grew up in Robertstown.
Yep, I guess yall and Mt Yonah are the only two?  Or is Mt Yonah closed down now?  Haven't been home in several years so don't really know.  Is the hardwood flooring plant still there in Cleveland?
Mt Yonah is long gone. Its me and Hogan now. Last two sawmills standing. Atlanta hardwood and Wilbanks lumber are still running their lumber yards. Thats pretty much it for North Georgia.
Yall still out there in Leaf?
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Thank You Sponsors!