iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What livestock do you have?

Started by Okrafarmer, August 28, 2010, 10:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

To help with the predators I would suggest you get a young donkey or two to raise with the goats so they bond with them. Ours will kill a dog or coyote that goes after what they consider part of their family.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Norm on September 08, 2010, 10:36:23 AM
To help with the predators I would suggest you get a young donkey or two to raise with the goats so they bond with them. Ours will kill a dog or coyote that goes after what they consider part of their family.

One would be better than two. Two donks together get cliquish sometimes and ignore the other animals. My boss's two donkeys let the yotes get a goat our of the same pasture-- evidently they weren't near enough by that night, didn't care. Hanging out w/ each other.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Okrafarmer

We just added the two little piglets Saturday.  8) 8)

They are reported to be 1/4 Landrace, 1/4 Poland China, and 1/2 Russian Boar. I saw both parents-- that Russian Boar daddy is one mean looking varmint! The piggys are white. We got them around 15 lbs. I put them in the garden but they kept getting out through the wire  >:(  So I built an 8x8 enclosure for them out of OSB (2' high) and they calmed down and got happy. My incorrigible kids have named the little blighters (Yeah, I know, don't start) Arthur and Samantha. Why, I don't know.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Patty

We always used to name our piggies after cuts of meat...pork chop & hammie were my favorites.  :D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

isawlogs

Those work fine with me Patty  ;D :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Pudge

I have horses,Mr Gennie,one big brown hen that lays eggs but mr gennie eats them. A few barn cats an dogs. Lookin for a donkey so maybe I quit loosing the little animals

Faron

Quote from: fishpharmer on September 02, 2010, 07:54:05 AM
Faron, do you pasture the goats with the cows?

Yes, that is what we are doing.  I think it would work to keep one big group of goats and move them to different pastures on a regular schedule.  I am learning that our humid weather and damp grass are not ideal for goats. 
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Okrafarmer

:P It's ideal to have your pastures divided up (permanently or temporarily) to where you can move the animals every 1-3 days. That translates into about 15-30 different paddocks or subdivision plots. Some of us wouldn't have time to move them that often. . . . . . Anyway in that case you would leave them in there just long enough to eat everything down to the target level, then move them out before they overgraze.

Faron

I rotate cattle some, but have never been able to do it the way it should be done.  One problem is getting water to that many enclosures, and the other is it costs a lot for fencing.  We used to fence cattle with a single hot wire.  In recent years, our cows will find a way out without at least three strands of electric barbed wire.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Faron on September 23, 2010, 06:52:46 AM
I rotate cattle some, but have never been able to do it the way it should be done.  One problem is getting water to that many enclosures, and the other is it costs a lot for fencing.  We used to fence cattle with a single hot wire.  In recent years, our cows will find a way out without at least three strands of electric barbed wire.

Yes, that can be a problem. For water, consider setting up a lane system allowing the cows to go through a narrow lane dedicated to always letting them get to the water. (should be at least 16-20 ft. wide or the cows will feel claustrophobic in it). For temporary fencing, consider electric netting. Only thing about that is, you have to make sure you take a weed eater, lawn mower, etc, and cut the grass out of the path of where you put the netting, so it doesn't short out. With cows you might be able to put it off the ground a few inches, unlike with sheep.

sandhills

We rotate also, with our largest group but the lane idea wouldn,t work in this country unless you wanted a really long blow out. ;)

pigman

I rotate my cows about every 4 or 5 days most times.
Faron, I have the opposite thing happen. I started with three hot wires and am now down to only one wire on all new fences. The only difference is that I finally bought a  good charger.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

isawlogs

That moose afore mentioned .. wellll  it came back last night and took two fences out in his wunderings  >:(  I had to fix um this morning to put the horses out to pasture, both fences are in two different pastures , he walked up from the river both places ....  He/she is quite high on list of things that need be put in Freezer.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Okrafarmer

Quote from: isawlogs on September 23, 2010, 11:39:02 PM

That moose afore mentioned .. wellll  it came back last night and took two fences out in his wunderings  >:(  I had to fix um this morning to put the horses out to pasture, both fences are in two different pastures , he walked up from the river both places ....  He/she is quite high on list of things that need be put in Freezer.

I had one that kept visiting my calves when I lived in Maine. I learned to build certain spring releases in the fence along the trails he used to get in there-- that way I didn't have to rebuild the fence-- only pick up the wire and put it back in place. Spiffy. (I mean, the calves were going to get out whether the moose knocked the whole fence down or just the release gate, right?)

Kcwoodbutcher

Right now I'm down to about 40 horses and one mini-mule. I'm smart enough not to own any of them, I own a stable. At one time I was up to sixty here and managed a brood mare operation down the road with another 60. That was way too much. I don't mind taking care of the horses, they don't complain much, but most seem to be an accident waiting to happen. The owners require a lot more care. There's nothing worse than a older woman with no children,that horse is her baby and most of the time I can't seem to do anything right.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Okrafarmer

Now we have three roosters and around 35 hens. Can't count them, they won't hold still long enough.

Today we collected 3 (count them) eggs.  :-\

isawlogs

Add five red chickens to the lot.

Also , today I found out that goats can swim.  ;)   One of the kids fell into the pool and made it to the steps and got out . Seeing as the goat is only a foot high off the ground to the tip of its ears and maybe a foot anf a half long standing on its hind legs, it had to swim in the two feet and deeper water it was in.   

Marcel

sandhills

I have yet to see anything a goat can get itself into that it can't get out of :D.  And Oakra if yer having trouble counting the chickens the best I can suggest is get a job at the local salebarn for oh, about 15 years or so, things never slow down there either and you still have to count them all, about 20 times before they leave usually :D.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: sandhills on October 13, 2010, 01:40:35 AM
I have yet to see anything a goat can get itself into that it can't get out of :D.  And Oakra if yer having trouble counting the chickens the best I can suggest is get a job at the local salebarn for oh, about 15 years or so, things never slow down there either and you still have to count them all, about 20 times before they leave usually :D.

The only way to count chickens is before they hatch-- they don't move around then.  ::) ::) ::)

Quote from: isawlogs link=topic=45605.msg667358#msg667358
date=1286943286

Add five red chickens to the lot.

Also , today I found out that goats can swim.  ;)   One of the kids fell into the pool and made it to the steps and got out . Seeing as the goat is only a foot high off the ground to the tip of its ears and maybe a foot anf a half long standing on its hind legs, it had to swim in the two feet and deeper water it was in.   

Goats are very resourceful. Sometimes I think they are like monkeys trapped in a deer's body. I did see one about 6 feet up in a tree one time, eating the leaves. It was standing on relatively small branches.

DanG

One of the happiest days of my life was the day the last cottonpickin' goat left this place! 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Okrafarmer

Quote from: DanG on October 13, 2010, 11:36:19 AM
One of the happiest days of my life was the day the last cottonpickin' goat left this place! 8) 8) 8)

But-- but-- but-- who picks your cotton now?????
??? ??? ??? ???

:-X

isawlogs

Aint my call on them goats  ::)  They are kinda cute  :D :D  I did get me five laying hens earlier this week .. I have some hens in the makin' but they are too young and the older hens we have aint laying much anymore. Hotchicken anyone  ;D

Marcel

Okrafarmer

Quote from: isawlogs on October 14, 2010, 08:56:08 PM

Aint my call on them goats  ::)  They are kinda cute  :D :D  I did get me five laying hens earlier this week .. I have some hens in the makin' but they are too young and the older hens we have aint laying much anymore. Hotchicken anyone  ;D

hmm-- anybody know how to jump start their laying? I could use that about now.

isawlogs

For starters you could regulate the daylight in the coop .. 18hrs/day . I dont bother with it but it is the optimum for laying hens. Temperature would be good to control too ... Another thing I dont do , the barn is heated by the animals in it , so at this time of the year it may get a little chilly at night but never cold.

Marcel

Piston

Alright I'm not allowed to post here because I don't have any livestock, but I want to someday so does that count?  I want to start off with a couple goats and some chickens, then go from there.

By the way, can we get some pics here please!  ;D
48 posts and not one picture, I'm disappointed in you guys  :D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Thank You Sponsors!