iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log Peeling

Started by kboilers, April 25, 2005, 11:59:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kboilers

I've started peeling 20 ft, 11 inch dia red pine logs that were cut between mid Feb and mid March.  I'm using a spud to keep the natural log look.  It's a good workout.  3 out of 13 logs seemed to have a strong bond between the cambium and wood.  The spud ripped chunks of wood along the entire length of the log.  Also when I pressure wash them, the wood is constantly splintering.  The other 10 logs took the water pressure just fine and look great.  Any ideas on my problem? 

Thanks,
Kurt

UNCLEBUCK

Sounds like your going to deep with that spud maybe and leaving a edge for the high pressure sprayer to get under . Maybe after your done with the spud go back and touchup with a drawknife here and there or change directions with the spud more often . Never used a spud just old razor sharp sye blades like 2 foot wide so I didnt bust my knuckles up. If you left the bark on for a few more months I believe the pressure sprayer would knock bark and all off but you would have worm lines . I dont know how cold it is there but roll your logs the night before with the bark side up and let the sun warm them up so they get loose and juicy . This time of year peeling should be easy . One other thing is maybe you should grind a finer thinner edge on your spud so it dont rip up chunks. If you dont like the looks of a few logs just go back and peel lightly . When you go to run a scriber down the logs just put the ripped chunky side down so it might get cut out of the lateral if its lucky enough to fall inside your scribe line . Good Luck . What ya going to build ?  ???
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

kboilers

I'm building a small tool shed for practice.  If I enjoy it, my next project will be a house.  I tried going over the bark slowly and it would still rip.  My spud has a 6 inch blade with a 5 ft long handle, so my knuckles are still in great shape.   I wonder if those 3 logs were extra dry and the cambium and wood bonded.  You're right about the drawknife, that's probably my best option to salvage those logs. 
  The bark beetle's have already started eating my investment  >:(  I noticed my first one last weekend, so I've started doing more peeling in the evenings to try and finish the peeling this week.  Down south, we've had about 2-3 weeks of warm weather (60 F) starting in early April, so that really got the beetles going.

UNCLEBUCK

That sounds like a fun project and a good plan you have . If you can find old sye blades and hand sharpen them like a razor they work many many times better than factory knuckle bustin draw knifes . Use your spud for wiping off the knots or even leave the knots. I wouldnt worry about the bark beetles and use a garden sprayer when youre all done peeling and spray on a chemical like "organiclear" and spray the log good and flood the beetle holes here and there. I have left bark on what you got there until fall and tore it off in sheets with my bare hands and had beautiful worm lines and a few beetle holes and logs where snow white without any draw knife peeling at all. A dry log would have the bark coming off easier than what your saying is happening. You want a smooth seared surface when your done peeling because when you go to apply your finished stains and preservatives if the log has rough gouge spots the finish will be kind of ratty lookin around the gouge marks. There is a place I think called www.loghomestore.com that carries alot of beetle killin juice , never ordered from them but just get your bark off and rake it up and burn all your bark asap and find organiclear in the bright orange pail and enjoy your project , dont worry you have time and should get a roof over pine logs within a year which it sounds like you"ll be done quickly. You are super smart to practice on your tool shed first and will have a exciting time . Round logs are easy and fun !

UNCLEBUCK

I just did a search on www.ask.com for organiclear and its still available and easy to find. That was my old standby , it will melt big bumble bees on the wing but yet is safe for humans but I would still wear a mask or stand upwind . Believe me your pine beetle problem will be gone and its also a good fungicide when the warm humid summer rain hits . Just spray a bit on and any moldy fuzzy hide that has developed on your log pile will dissapear .

kboilers

I'll give the organiclear a try.  Another log builder recommended timbor.  When the humidity starts up, I'll need to keep a close eye on the logs to keep the mold away.

Frank_Pender

You might try a mixture of 50/50 water and bleach for fighting the mold.
Frank Pender

plantman

From what I've been told the chlorine in the bleach rapidly evaporates and doesn't penetrate the wood well. Therefore if mold exists it can come back from it's roots which are deep in the wood. I think this is one reason the glycol mixed with borates works well.

Thank You Sponsors!