iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

JD 440a info

Started by Bucksaw, September 14, 2018, 03:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucksaw

I bought a old JD 440. A series I think. When I cold start, she fires right up and the battery/ starter spin over fast. When I shut off and then go to restart it will barely turn over. Let it sit for a 1/2 hour and it spins over fine and fires up. Did some reading and found the suggestion that hydraulic pressure build up makes it turn over slow and to wiggle the steering wheel while starting will help.
I am going to replace the battery anyway, but haven't had the chance to try the wheel wiggle trick yet.
Anyone have this issue?
Pics of the old girl to follow. Serial number indicates a early 1967 440 Series A made in Welland Ontario. 

Grandpa

Wiggling the wheel is a pretty common trick.

A better way to isolate the problem is to take the grill off, on top of the pump you should find a screw with a T handle. Turn the screw in until you feel resistance, then turn it one more turn, that will destroke the pump so it wont pump at all. 

Bucksaw

Quote from: Grandpa on September 14, 2018, 07:29:06 PM
Wiggling the wheel is a pretty common trick.

A better way to isolate the problem is to take the grill off, on top of the pump you should find a screw with a T handle. Turn the screw in until you feel resistance, then turn it one more turn, that will destroke the pump so it wont pump at all.
Thanks. I am aware of the front pump screw. I anticipated doing this in cold conditions. I was wondering if the battery was on it's way out and the wheel wiggling was just to make starting with a bad battery easier.

Maine logger88

A lot of times the roosa master fuel pump will wear out and the won't start when hot but it usually doesn't make it turn over slow like you say. I would look into the starter I wonder if it's dragging when hot
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Bucksaw

Quote from: Maine logger88 on September 14, 2018, 09:21:33 PM
A lot of times the roosa master fuel pump will wear out and the won't start when hot but it usually doesn't make it turn over slow like you say. I would look into the starter I wonder if it's dragging when hot
Thanks for the info. I only started and shut it off less than a minute later, so it wouldn't have had a chance to heat up.

Maine logger88

Ok then disregard what I said. Probably your on the right track with the hydraulics
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Grandpa

I think that engine should have a stanadyne (spelling?)pump.

snowstorm

shaking the wheel to start is normal with an old 440. when it was built they had a small sorta round injection pump. rosoa master. they were troublesome. in the early 80's deere had a update kit. a new standadyne pump and fuel lines. i dont recall what i paid for the kit. around 1k

Bucksaw

Quote from: snowstorm on September 15, 2018, 07:25:59 AM
shaking the wheel to start is normal with an old 440. when it was built they had a small sorta round injection pump. rosoa master. they were troublesome. in the early 80's deere had a update kit. a new standadyne pump and fuel lines. i dont recall what i paid for the kit. around 1k
Thanks for the info. Apparently this one didn't get the update.

teakwood

My 540A does the same. hit the key when cold and she starts right up, when warm i have to wriggle the steering wheel hard just to get her started. so i tend to not shut her off to often  
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Bucksaw

Good to know. I guess the old iron is temperamental. Lots to learn. Any additional info would be much appreciated.

Jack Lilley

I had forgotten all about wiggling the wheel thing, it works, can see my father wiggling the wheel  every time he started the old JD.

Bucksaw

Thank You Sponsors!