iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Selling Squares of Bark

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 07, 2018, 02:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

I've found that each species of tree has a certain time of year when they peel the best!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

tgalbraith

Several years ago, my wife and I took a "Fall Colors" bus tour thru the Adirondacks, and visited the Vanderbuilt Estate Summer Home.  All the original buildings were sided with white pine and hemlock bark. It had been exposed to the weather since the turn of the century, and still looked good. They had a photo gallery that showed the workmen peeling it with spuds and staking to dry.  The individual pieces were quite large and they had about 18" exposed. Don't know if there is market for it now.
'
M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

WV Sawmiller

My wife and I visited a pygmy village in north and east of the town of Kribi  Cameroon in West Africa back in February 2008 and I noticed the huts there had been sided with big sheets of some kind of bark off a local tree. I found this unusual as the pygmies normally made round huts covered with various big local leaves from the jungle added from bottom to top to shed water. More/replacement leaves would be added as needed if they stayed in that spot longer than the original leaves would support. A common roof and sometimes side walls material were palm fronds split then the leaves would be folded to one side and pegged with what looked like toothpicks. These panels were usually 5'-8' long and 14"-16" wide and were installed from bottom up to shed the rain. An advantage of corrugated metal panels, commonly referred to as "Zinc", was that they cost nothing except a little labor which had no value there, and they were much cooler than metal but they did have to be replaced every few years while metal typically lasted 20+ years.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

47sawdust

Hemlock was peeled in much the same way for use in tanneries.The stripped tree was left behind.I wonder if those stripped poplars were left behind as well.Would be a shame as they were some very nice trees.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

starmac

While stripping the bark and leaving the log would seem to be a terrible waste, I see on a regular basis here where someone strips a 2 foot section of bark from a birch tree and leaves the tree standing, looks like it would be less waste to drop the tree and strip the whole trunk.
I think it is mostly used for arts and crafts, so they probably do not need that much bark though.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

LeeB

And may not know that they have doomed the tree.  :-\
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

WDH

Taking off the bark and leaving the skint tree standing is like killing a deer and only taking the backstraps. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

starmac

Drive any of the log roads and you will see it quite a bit, usually about a 2 foot section. I suspect it is mostly folks using it for arts and crafts and they probably think the tree will be fine if they just take a little.

alan gage

I don't believe removing the bark from a birch necessarily kills it. A little googling found this paper: http://nrd.kbic-nsn.gov/sites/default/files/GatheringBirchandBirchBark_0.pdf

It's long but the first couple pages cover birch bark removal from standing trees.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Ianab

Difference is choosing between the outer and inner bark. If you can peel off the outer 1/2 thickness of the bark, while leaving the "green" and still living layer next to the wood, then the tree is likely not harmed.

If you remove all the bark layers, then the tree is in trouble.

Same thing with Cork Oaks. They can go around and trim off the out layer of cork bark, without harming the tree. More bark grows back in the future, and can be harvested again.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

starmac

I should mark some of these and see what they do. I know where the bark has been removed, they are pretty much black after a while.

low_48

Walnut will peel just as well, timing of the sap moving is everything. I slit a small 10" log, 5' long, vertically with a chainsaw, just starting to cut into the sapwood. Got it started with a flat bar, and took the entire bark off in one piece. I was just goofing around, and as mentioned, it curled like a potato chip as it dried.

Rigg

I sold a little this year.  Its more work than you think.
Frick 00, International UD-14A

starmac

Well was it worth it, is the market pretty strong?
Watching the vides, yep it is labor intensive.

Thank You Sponsors!