iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Don't ask me, ask Noble

Started by Jeff, October 11, 2003, 06:41:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

For some reason Noble hates Pumpkins.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin_H.

Sounds like we may need to dig a little deeper...
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Tom

Kevin

Be sure to call before you dig your potatoes.

Jeff

He don't like skulls either. He wants santas. I tried it. I aint ready for Santas :P

Tom

All in favor say aye.  All opposed say neigh-h-h-h-h-h-h--h---h!

The Eyes have it

L. Wakefield

So- we have- *potato* icons now???   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Tom

I think that would be cool, LW.  I would make some if I knew how. :D

Let's see.........  We could use potatoes for St. Patties Day. :D

L. Wakefield

mash em, smash em, slash em- sounds like a kool smiley grouping. Bout right for halloween- an Irish Halloween maybe. The great pumpkin ousted by the great spud.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Kevin_H.

Well,
I meant we need to dig a little deeper into why noble doesn't like pumkins, but....

Potatoes sound interesting...
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

L. Wakefield

And to slam it right DEEP into left field- potatoes make me think of the Jerusalem artichokes which were about 9ft tall the last time I were down in the garden- I want the tubers to get big and then to get some got frowsts- They were quite good eating last year, for all people thought I had taken leave of my senses (that happens all the time anyway..)

anyone else willing to admit they've tried these weird things, let alone LIKING them? If you let them get frosted, digum and then stickum in the fridge for a few days- then scrub and simmer til they slip out of their skins easy they do- they really DO- taste like (globe) artichoke hearts. Excellent with butter. Folk were selling them as 'sunchokes'. I have the red-skinned variety. They are also a superb flower.

(betcha wanted to hear all that..)  lw            

Bro. Noble

Louise,

We grew J artichokes a long time ago.  I like them raw,  taste a little like waterchestnuts.

Do you grow salsify?  It's good stuff that not a lot of people have tried.

By the way Louise,  If Jeff ever asks your opinion about something,  just ignore him or he might make a post in an attempt to embarass you.  I'm just ignoring him----and Kevin too.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Jeff

So Noble, why don't you like Potatoes?

Kevin_H.

Jeff

And why the unusual fascination with Santa?

Bro. Noble

So-----da   ya    think    it's    gonna    rain  --------PILGRIM

pappy

Just like 93.99% of the people in this great country of ours I like potatoes!! :D

I think potatoes would be appropriate. ;D

Are you the type of person who longs for patience and tranquility in your life?  Just Released

"Bonsai Potato -Zen without the wait"

check this out  ;D  http://www.bonsaipotato.com/  ;D

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Paul_H

Vegetable art in it's rawest form.Not for any hack with a knife and a spud,you need to have an eye for it.

(I know,I know,but if it wasn't me,it would have been somebody else) :P
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Jeff

lordi.

We used to always have a sweet potato growing when I was a kid. You know the method, poke toothpicks around the side of one so it holds it half submerged in a container of water. Mon used to do it because they make an interesting looking house plant.

I however use to grow the toxic crystal gardend ;D  I cant remember everything in there but seems like it was ammonia, laundry bluing, and salt or sugar, and some other stuff too. You poured the mixture over some course textured stones in a shallow tray, then applied droplets of food coloring here and there then set it where it would absolutley not be disturbed or shaken up. You could grow some pretty impressive alien landscapes.

L. Wakefield

QuoteLouise,

Do you grow salsify?  It's good stuff that not a lot of people have tried.

Let me see- I bought 2 this year I hadn't seen before- lovage- and slald burnet- nope, neither of them is salsify. I can't remember if I tried that or not. Is it a tuber?

We had the one night @25* and now it's truly giving us a good indian summer. I put in 2 linden trees- greenspire- bit the bullet and paid the reatil price cuz I haven't got my wholesale license yet- but I think I will go for nursery status. It should be worth the paperwork, I hope.  lw

Bro. Noble

LW,

I think Salsify is a root rather than a tuber------looks like a white carrot.  They also call it 'vegetable oyster'  cause you can cook it in a white sauce and it tastes like oyster stew.

Linda

It isn't slimy, is it?  :P

I remember an awful experience when I was a kid and my mom made us kids eat at least one oyster in our soup.  Lets just say, I about ruined everyone's dinner that Christmas eve.  :o

Mom decided to have a choice the next year!  ;D ;)

By the way, I don't like jack-o-lanterns, Noble.  I do like pumpkins, though.  

The fact that Jack-O-Lanterns's are associated with evil spirits makes me uncomfortable.  The ancient Druids used to teach that the souls of the wicked dead inhabited the bodies of living people to be entertained.  These "possessed" people would go to farm houses and play trick or treat.  If the frightened country folk did not provide suitable food, shelter, and entertainment the druids would destroy their property and cast evil spirits upon their home.  In the British Isles, ghastly faces would be carved in gourds, lighted and carried to aid in spooking the country people.  The Celtics used to believe J-O-L's would ward off evil spirits (they actually carved turnips at that time).  It was an ancient symbol for a condemned soul.

The Celtics Day of the dead festival "Samhain," was renamed "halloween" by Christians (which actually means "All Saints Eve.").

Linda
Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

AtLast

Imma thinkin when he was w weee tike some one musta told him bout the ole GREAT PUMPKIN soin he and his faithfull dog sat 1 night in da pumpkin patch a waitin and a hopin to getta glimpse of the GREAT PUMPKIN....well...im thinkin yall are fixin to kno the restta da story here....but Imma thinkin that GREAT PUMPKIN musta scared the lil feller back in da day and since then...welp...things just aint quite been da same when it come ta dem dern pumpkins

Jeff

We always celebrated Halloween even in a church home. Growing up I never associated it with anything evil. just gruesome. ;D

Dad had a way of making bad things good.

As an adult with children with a little artist thrown in, I ended up as the guy who made the kids up for halloween for several years. It even turned into where I had to take the afternoon off in order to get everybody done. I found a couple old photos in the drawer. I was responsible for all these ghastly sites

Stephen_Wiley

Those faces don't look much different than the ones I have seen in the mirror or one of my friends while having one of the following days:

Right after the saw broke down for the ump..........teenth time, or the pickup refuses to start, or stayed up late working on ...........

:D
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Thank You Sponsors!