iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody allergic to walnut

Started by East ky logging, January 13, 2016, 09:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East ky logging

I was sawing walnut for a couple days last week and I got hives on my neck and back and had a bad headache for several days. That was the first time really sawing that much just one ever once in a while. I was just wondering if anyone has had that problem or if was just coincidence.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

Texas Ranger

Working dried walnut affects me, sinuses and all.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SLawyer Dave

I have a firewood customer that refuses to burn walnut, because she says she is allergic to it. 

Ianab

The juglone in Walnut is an interesting chemical, and you could quite likely be allergic to it.

5-hydroxy-1,4-naphthalenedione is it's full name and it has all sorts of effects on plants and bugs, which is why Walnut species have developed it as a defence against competition and pests. (and sawyers)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

pineywoods

Not so much walnut logs or lumber, but the sawdust makes my skin itch, especially sweaty skin. I wear long sleeves and gloves..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

East ky logging

Thanks everyone for your replies. I guess the next time I saw any I better take a little better precautions like long sleeve shirt and a dust mask.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

Bruno of NH

Wood dust and saw dust of many kinds of wood can bother me .
Ply wood saw dust has burnt my skin . Had a bad reaction to PT lumber dust once and ended up in the ER .
You have to watch out some times .
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

I do not saw any species without wearing a dust mask.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

I guess that I will just have to come and take it off your hands so that you don't get sick  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

East ky logging

I've always sold what walnut logs I run across when logging. This job was for a neighbor who wanted some walnut trees removed and sawed up into lumber to use someday so I went and cut them down and brought them to the house and sawed them up. He's 80 and best friends with my dad and he came and helped offbear and had a ball and could outwork most 20 year olds.

scsmith42

Quote from: East ky logging on January 13, 2016, 09:33:36 PM
I was sawing walnut for a couple days last week and I got hives on my neck and back and had a bad headache for several days. That was the first time really sawing that much just one ever once in a while. I was just wondering if anyone has had that problem or if was just coincidence.

I've always had similar experiences with walnut. 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

I am only allergic to not having any  :'(  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Maybe you need a prescription ???   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Roxie

:D :D

That skit is still one of my favorites! 
Say when

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on January 17, 2016, 08:11:21 AM
Maybe you need a prescription ???   :D

He needs to make an appointment with Dr. Dean.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Oh, I have the remedy.

That one plus a few more.   ;D

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WDH would come to the fork in that tree and not know which way to go.  :D :D :D

Magicman

We plan to fell each stem and then take the "stump" off at ground level.   ;D

WDH

Yogi Berra said that if you came to a fork in the road, take it. 

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 17, 2016, 08:28:55 PM
Yogi Berra said that if you came to a fork in the road, take it.

:D

mesquite buckeye

I got sick of smelling walnut stink by the time I finished Darlene's countertop. The sawdust piled up in the collards and made them a little sick. I wonder if collards are allergic to walnut. ::) :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

kensfarm

I cut a double leaner for my neighbor..  one side was hung in a tree.. I got the half that would make a sawlog.. he just wanted firewood.  So got my half home.. cut out the saw log.. bucked the rest.. then split it.. I was enjoying that fresh black walnut smell.

It started w/ just a cough..  the next couple days I felt like I had the flu.. extreme headaches, chills, respiratory problems.. I was close to going to the ER at one point.   At first I didn't make the connection because I've sawed black walnut plenty of times.. and used it in woodworking projects. 

It was sitting there for an hour sucking up the that smell while running the splitter.  Jugelone is concentrated in the roots.. I had read that the bark also produces it when injured. 

Edit: I had to edit this post.. I hit something on my keyboard.. and it went all crazy and scrambled the post and submitted it. 

Magicman

WDH will have a headache when he reads this about using Walnut for firewood.   fire_smiley

WDH

Thank You Sponsors!