iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chainsaw is lonely

Started by thecfarm, January 01, 2018, 09:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I have not started my saw for quite a while. Maybe a week.Been so cold here,most days the only time we see double digits is with a minus sign in front of it.  :( I just get a little firewood at a time. It ls harder to get with snow on the ground,but I like to be outside. I don't need to get a cord a day. Just a few trees a day,keeps me happy and out of the house.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

TKehl

I hear you.  I told my wife I didn't plan to go outside at all this weekend with single digit highs... 

That lasted almost a whole day.   ;)  Decided it would be a great day to walk the woods with my pole saw and trim lower limbs.  Nice and quiet!   ;D
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

GRANITEstateMP

I brought my dad's inside, told them they were good boys and got to sleep in the house!

I plugged the tractor in for 4 hours, she started right up! Brought in another 1/2 cord of wood into the basement.  That should last me for a bit longer. Hope it warms up a bit more, I got to start stacking next year's wood soon
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Peter Drouin

Mine is too cfarm, I haven't started a thing in the yard, Too cold, walk out and feed the birds, I have to bring some Fire Wood in, not much just a wheelbarrow or two.
Tomorrow I have a load of W Pine coming in, Maybe two.
My chain saw will rest till maybe Thursday if the temp comes up to 18+.
  :new_year:
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Woodcutter_Mo

I haven't used the saws much lately either since it's been so cold. I got the 024 and the 455 Rancher out the other day to "noodle" some big crossed black Oak rounds that didn't want to split (just an excuse to fire them up  ;D ) but the 372 still needs used. I thought about bringing them in the last couple days since it's been so cold.  :D
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

lopet

I don't think they mind the break.  ;D  Got one at the doctor and one apart, the others are resting.
Just tinkering with old tractors in a heated shop. 8)
Sounds like it's gonna be chilly for the rest of the week.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Kwill

my saw got a little bit of use today. Cut some dead trees down to get some smaller dry dead stuff to put in the stove to get the fire going when it dies down.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

square1

Christmas Eve was the last day of work for the saws.  Hasn't been over 20* F since and not out of single digits any time they could have been working.  Maybe tomorrow, supposed to hit mid 20s!

Rick Alger

More snow forecast before the cold leis up. Going to be tough going breaking trails

Kwill

Cut this little jag of wood. It started raining so I had to quit. Cut some more today in the cold.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

LeeB

My saws are all bundled up in a puppy pile in the garage patiently waiting for me to get back home. No pics though. My camera can't see there from here.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

upnut

For the first time in my life, worked on firewood all summer and taking the winter off from wood cutting. The bitter cold weather has made that plan look even better! Did take advantage of a mild day to run some trails, the battery Stihl got to go along for the ride, everybody else is resting....

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

Woodcutter_Mo

Yesterday I finally got out and fired up the saws. There was a 22"+/- downed red oak that was need cut up so I cut a few rounds with each saw, more or less just as an excuse to use them. I cut a few rounds with the 024 with the 18" bar, that was the first larger oak I've cut with it since I added the Speedcut setup. It cut through it really well. Nothing compared to the 455 and especially the 372xp though  :D

Was nice getting them out and burning out the cobs (they all actually stunk until the dust burned off   :o :D)
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

crazy4saws

Woodcutter, whats the speedcut setup? Several years ago I rebuilt a 024wb with OEM p&c, $$$$, Ive put about 10 tanks though it, Its sporting .325, 16", and cuts ok, nothing special. I visited a friend on another site friday, he was explaining that the 3/8LP will really help 50cc and under saws in speed/performance. Ive typically run .325 on most saws 40cc and up. 3/8lp on the top handle saws though.

thecfarm

Finally me and saw could visit for a while. No big deal,but cut off a down white pine and hauled it up to the house. Even got to try out the shiny brand new chaps that Brenda bought for me too. It felt good to visit with an Old Friend.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lopet

You're definitely a chainsaw addict !! ;D  Or a sawdust addict or a play in the snow addict  :D
That's pretty serious Ray, you should get that checked out.  ;)
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

thecfarm

I don't have time tommorrow,I have to go cut some more trees with my chainsaw.  :D

Woodcutter_Mo

Quote from: crazy4saws on January 21, 2018, 10:58:33 AM
Woodcutter, whats the speedcut setup? Several years ago I rebuilt a 024wb with OEM p&c, $$$$, Ive put about 10 tanks though it, Its sporting .325, 16", and cuts ok, nothing special. I visited a friend on another site friday, he was explaining that the 3/8LP will really help 50cc and under saws in speed/performance. Ive typically run .325 on most saws 40cc and up. 3/8lp on the top handle saws though.

The Speedcut system is just a narrow kerf bar and chain setup that Oregon has that's supposed to cut faster, it is a .325 so only the bar and chain are needed. I was going to try the Stihl 3/8lp setup that they sell but I just decided on the Oregon since it was cheaper. It does cut well, I dont know how it cuts compared to the 3/8lp though I would like to try it out as well some day.
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Woodcutter_Mo

Today I got the 372xp out and noodled a few large red oak rounds that did'nt want to split with the maul. Feels good to use the saw a bit but I really need to invest in a hydraulic splitter  :D
-WoodMizer LT25
-Fixer-uppers/projects:

Kwill

Quote from: Woodcutter_Mo on January 21, 2018, 07:56:37 PM
Today I got the 372xp out and noodled a few large red or rounds that did t want to split with the maul. Feels good to use the saw a bit but I really need to invest in a hydraulic splitter  :D
some of the best money I spent was building my splitter. Its still work using one but not near as bad as a maul.
Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Corley5

My chainsaws don't miss me and I surely don't miss them :D ;D  They're both tucked away under the work bench in the shop.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Kwill

My chainsaw got some action today. The log arch sure speeds things up. Found several dead red oaks.

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

petefrom bearswamp

Looks like the arch is doing its thing in a fine manner
Had the cs600p running 2 weeks ago felling a fair sized cherry next to my one slab pile.
I plan to have a mystery case of arson sometime this winter.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Kwill

Mine ms 250 stihl got a little workout today.

Built my own log arch
Built my own FEL grapple

Thank You Sponsors!