iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

whatzits from the secret pond shore

Started by Jeff, March 15, 2007, 10:35:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Riles

Vaccinium. aka huckleberry aka Eliot's blueberry. Just started blooming around here too.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

Tom

Texas Ranger

I recognize them first two, the front one is a red shirted good ol southren boy.  The one sneakin up behind is a DanG Yankee! 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

Yeah those vaccinium blooms are unmistakable.

I was looking close in that first picture for any snakes in the grass.  :D ;)

I think Tom's beverage can is empty. Did Jeff run back and get a new one Tom? That chair looks too comfy to move from. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Is it a persimmon? Can't tell if the twigs are zigzag growth. I can't tell if those are old leaves or seed pods of something else.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

They are seed pods and are dry.  they rattle in the wind.

SwampDonkey

Is it an invasive, like tree of heaven? Ailanthus altissima

Tom

Actually, I don't know.  I'm not even sure what it is.

In the Tree and Plant I.D. , a long time ago, I pictured the blooms and leaves.  We considered it solved at one point, but, I'm not convinced we got it.

SwampDonkey

I know it's not hoptree, it has more rounded pods and more clustered.

There is a perennial we grow here that is called 'silver dollar' or Honesty Lunaria biennis, but that shrub looks woody in your picture.

Tom

Jeff

I'll get a picture of the seed today. Each of those pods have one seed that looks just like a bean.

SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey

Jeff

Jeff

Tom says this seldom comes up in undisturbed ground but if you plow or scrape, or burn, they come up prolifically.

This is the thread that contained the flower. but we need to reconsider as we may not have solved it.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=4007.0

SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey

Jeff

Thats not it either but Tom says its DanG close.  The example plant in over 8 feet tall with smallwe ones scattered around. Here are good photos of the pods, which each contain two "beans" and the "beans" :)

SwampDonkey

It's definately the same genus man.

Look at these seeds of Sesbania vesicaria Bagpod

Tom

Yes, I think you've hit the target square on.  I'm enjoying reading about the plants now.  :)

SwampDonkey

Tom, is there a SE Plant guide by Audubon? I Have 3 shrubs and flower books of the east and they don't even have that genus in there. I'd be writing Audubon a letter. These plants are native.  >:(

SwampDonkey

It's kind of odd looking at the fruit of it. Looks like two cases. But think of an apple, there is an outside skin, then the flesh, then another membrane around the seeds.  ;)

Jeff

That was fun, may we have another? Well certainly!

SwampDonkey

:D :D Can't catch us off guard now man, we found the site with the mother lode :D

Sesbania herbacea Bigpod Sesbania -Seeds

Leaves,Pods (fruit) and Flowers

;D

SwampDonkey

Tom, are you gonna be able to keep these 'pods' all separated in your mind the next time your neighbor or guest asks ya to id it? By the looks of that USDA site, we's just begun to discover them. A lot more yet to separate. ;D ;)

theorm

Quote from: Jeff B on March 17, 2007, 06:14:07 PM
Thats not it either but Tom says its DanG close.  The example plant in over 8 feet tall with smallwe ones scattered around. Here are good photos of the pods, which each contain two "beans" and the "beans" :)

I thought they look like dingle berries. Nah, dingle berries are found on the south end of sheep.
The essence of loyalty is reciprocity.

WDH

Today, in East Texas, I saw a lot of sesbania!  It is quite distinctive.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

WDH, I think the boys fell into the pod pond. What do you think? ;D

Thank You Sponsors!