iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oak fungus

Started by Frickman, April 11, 2004, 04:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frickman

There's an article in today's Pittsburgh Sunday paper about a new kind of fungus that affects and kills oak that was discovered in California a few years ago. The Feds are concerned about it spreading to the east coast and affecting our forests. Already there is a ban on shipping some nursery stock from California. Have any of you forester types read anything about this?
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Ron Scott

Yes, it's oak kill. Very serious and deadly. I believe there is mention of it on other threads here on th Forum.
~Ron

chet

This is a very good site to answer questions about Oak Wilt. http://www.oak-wilt.com/
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Frickman

Thanks for the great link Chet. This however is another fungus just identified in 2000 called phytophtora ramorum. It started to affect oak in California and Oregon in 1995. Look up    post-gazette.com    the story is halfway down on the opening page. You'll have to type it in yourself, as I'm not too good with this links and computer thing.

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

chet

My mistake. I thought you were referring to Oak Wilt. It is a very severe problem in these parts, with no real end in site yet.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Frickman

No problem Chet. This is one I'd never heard of until today.

chet

The common name for the disease you are refering to is Sudden Oak Death. Here is a link to another pretty good article about it.

Frickman

Chet, where's the link?

chet

Ron Scott

Yes, its Sudden Oak Death. Different than Oak Wilt. Both are not good for the oak.
~Ron

Frickman

Thanks for the link Chet. Interesting stuff, this fungus is related to the one that caused the Irish potato famine.

Thank You Sponsors!