iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help, I want to Auto Raise my MightyMite

Started by GareyD, December 09, 2004, 02:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GareyD

After using the mill for a couple days, I can see where auto raising the end stands would really be a time and GareyD saver...as it is now ya hafta go to both ends and raise 'em with the cranks shown in the foto below....

I called MightyMite and inquired 'bout their end raisin' setup...put me on the floor with a price of $3400  :o :o :o
They did however give me the part number on the Hyd. Motor that they use...
 http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2004120915220918&catname=&qty=1&item=981-1027

On most mills that I have looked at...the Hyd. pump looks kinda like a big starter motor...is this the kind that I need...or a different kind...and how big does it need to be...

For power options, I have AC, DC, or  a 1700 Ford tractor that has a broken steering box/column, no remote hyd's, but the motor & PTO still runs fine...

I'm pretty handy at puttin' stuff together...just ain't real good at figurin' out what I need...need sumbody to draw me a picture  ;D ;D

GareyD
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

D._Frederick

GD.,

The problem you have is that you have to raise both ends the same amount. The two choices you have are a mechanical linkage or with hydraulics. If you can find a gear boxes to couple to were the crank is and run a shaft between them powered by a dc motor gear drive would be the cheapest. Check with the Surplus Center and see what they have.

DanG

Garey. What D said.  My MD is very similar to your MM. It uses a 24v electric motor and a reduction gearbox. The two ends are connected by a length of square steel tubing with a gear at each end.  I'll try to get some pics tomorrow if that would help you.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

GareyD

Dang

Pix would be great...I have a couple of ideas on what I need to do...just don't wan't to reinvent the wheel ;D

Also if ya get a chance see if ya can read any of the spec plates on the gearbox and motorsssss

GareyD
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

Frank_Pender

On the only two hydraulic mills MD manufacured (I have both of them) they used a small hyraulic motor to their already rack and pinion system connected at both ends.  
Frank Pender

DanG

Here's a few shots of the lift mechanism on my mill. I don't believe it is standard MD issue, though.

Motor & gearbox

Sprockets and gears at the operator's end

Gears at far end

This is where the cables attach, that actually do the lifting. There is one of these at each of the four corners. The cable goes over a pulley atop the endstand, and is anchored to the crossbeam.

As you can see, my ol' mill has been rode hard and put up wet, but she still cuts like a new one. I get sort of used to looking at it, but these close-ups are reminding me that I need to get handy with the wire brush and paint gun. :-/
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Frank_Pender

DanG, it is a standard issue from the factory.  I have one on each of the hydraulic mills and on my first non hydraulic mill I ran it with both a 24 volt system and later powered it with an electric motor.  Then there was no more fussing with batteries.   The batteries were/are great if you plan on being mobile, which I am not. 8)
Frank Pender

Swede

DanG;

If You use Hammerite (I´m shure you have that painting in US too) , a small roller and a paintbrush You don´t have to use the steelbrush very much! Later  it´s easy to take a paintbrush and do a "makeup" now and then. Red and Dark Blue looks great on old sawmills!  ;D
Hammerite likes some rust more than most new metal surfaces.

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Thank You Sponsors!