iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Proud Papa

Started by Fla._Deadheader, January 03, 2003, 04:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fla._Deadheader

At exactly 1:00 PM today, A new family member was added. He came to life with a roar. He is 21' 7" long and weighs approx. 2700 pounds. We named him "Home Mizer".  8) 8)

In no time, HM had adjusted to the harsh conditions facing him, and proceeded to wade through them through thick and thin. Tearing off the wrappers of his new found challenges, HM performed his chores nearly flawlessly. He delivered on the straight and narrow. He will require a new set of clothes and a little "slick-um" from time to time, but, all in all, HM has made us very proud.  ;D

Tomorrow, we will hopefully get his "running gear" in working order, and do the final touches on his nerve center. It has been a long time, anticipating the day that HM would greet us with open arms and show his appreciation of our tender care in giving him life, with the best supplies we could muster, and the total support of all the fine folks on this forum.  :) :)

Thank you all for your generous contribution of ideas and helpful hints, to keep us from encountering the total and supreme failure of this project. ;) :) :).

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

RMay

Fla-Deadheader   congratulaticns on the new H M  happy sawing . 8)
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Jeff

You should have hats made up!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

RMay

Fla.-Deadheader what color pant job did you end up with its not pink, mauve and lavender is it  ;D
RMay in Okolona Arkansas  Sawing since 2001 with a 2012 Wood-Miser LT40HDSD35-RA  with Command Control and Accuset .

Jeff

I say paint it Gator Green and gaurd the blade to look like a gators open mouth chewin up wood. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

J_T

Where's our cigar? 8) :D :D
Jim Holloway

Tom

Paint it Gator Green and I'll send a white Bulldog to debark your logs and dispatch your gator. :D

No cigar but I'll take a pack of peanuts and a small coke :)

Fla._Deadheader

It's not finished. Paint looks terrible. That was just for rust protection. Need to plumb the hydraulics and wire it up right. We had so much bad info runnin around about homemade mills, on the OTHER forum, we just HAD to run it. Pushed the head by HAND. That thing runs smooth, no matter what speed you run it at. NOW we feel confident that we were NOT wasting our time.

Sorry, can't afford cigars. I got to build my hat !! ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Tom

SawBilly

I'd drink a coke to that! Dr. P. if I had my choice.

Tom

That'll be one little coke and one Dr. P., Harold.  .........oh, and a little pack of peanuts too :)

Frank_Pender

Well done, deadheader.  Pictures to follow with tomorrows 6:00 news? ;D
Frank Pender

Fla._Deadheader

When ya'll meet me at the river, I will furnish the Peanuts and Coke's or Dr.P's.  8) ;D

Thanks, Frank. No more pics until it is completed.

We are headed for the river tomorrow night. Should be interesting. Temp should be in the 40's and the water temp is in the high 40's. Anybody want to help ??? I need bait,er, DIVERS. :D :D :D

First, it is ridiculed;

Frank_Pender

I could probably furnish some "bait", help from the floor of Oregon's state legislature, but shipping would be costly and cumbersome. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ;D ;D ;D ;D
Frank Pender

Fla._Deadheader

Frank. Duct tape 'em all together, put 'em in one of them baskets with the big balloon on top, stick tubes in their mouths and let 'em fill the balloon. When they float by, I will "plink" 'em from the sky!!! :D :D :D :D
   First, it is ridiculed;

J Beyer

What is an HM?  Just a neat term for a home-built mill or one made from a WM that was missing many parts?  There was an old mill for sale on eBay, looked like a WM without an engine but had wooden bandwheels.
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

Fla._Deadheader

The HM is a homemade version of a woodmizer. I like the side opening access to the log. I used Woodmizers catalog and mixed features from 3 of their models to create the one I wanted. My son and I built the entire machine.
   First, it is ridiculed;

J Beyer

Get some pics to us!

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

woodbeard

Have you kept a tally of materials costs and labor? Might be good info for anyone deciding between building or buying.

Fla._Deadheader

The total cost, if you figured an hourly wage, would probably be more than you could buy a manufactured mill. We have about $2200.00 in it and still need $400.00 worth of hydraulic hoses. We never kept track of the labor.

If we had a "real" job, we could compare how much it would cost for labor. Being as how we are "self employed", we did most of it on nights (milling and turning parts) and the rest as we had spare time. That's why it took so long.

Oh yeah, extra cash for the metal and motors and stuff, was sometimes VERY scarce.

The main reason we did it was, we enjoy making machinery and then using it to further our businesses. It will definitely help in getting more from the sinker logs than the mill we sell to. He will "double" our money for cut lumber, IF we do it to his specs. I am SURE he will be hard on the grade, but, that should make us better sawyers.

Plus, we have a couple of sawing jobs lined up in the area where we are working, so, on off or cold days, we can still turn a buck.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!