iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Biggest tree in Britain& Ireland- Drying a rou

Started by Swing_blade_Andy, January 19, 2003, 04:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swing_blade_Andy

Hello guys

I'm trying to find out how to dry a roundell from a rather big tree. Its 18' in diameter at the bottom and the client wants to take a roundel and put it on display with the history of the area marked on it. So this laddie needs to be presentable - hopefully without a monumental shrinkage crack and under 20% safe moisture.

So far the suggestion have included PEG (polyethyl glycol), Pentacryl, and even dishwashing detergent. Has anyone had any experience with this or any suggestions on the most successful mehodology.

I'll have a go at posting the pic but it took me a while last time.

Cheers

Andrew

Bro. Noble

;DAndy,

Welcome back.  There's something new since your last visit.  Click on membership map and put a tree on the site where you live.  I don't think you will find it very crowded there.  After you do that write us up a little biography.  We are getting to have a few members from the British Empire.

Anxious to see some of the reccomendations the guys have for preserving your chunk of wood.

I think there is picture posting info in the knowledge base and several pros to give you any additional help you need.

Still would like to see a photo of those 'Hookers' you used to saw for. :o ;D

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

beenthere

Can you elaborate more about the "roundell", regards species, time since tree was cut (assumming "roundell" is still in the log), thickness the "roundell" is planned to be, time you think you have available to treat this (i.e. PEG treatment will take 6 mo. to 2 years, depending on species), and any other limitations such as the availability of PEG-1000 (molecular weight of PEG should be at least 1000 to treat wood).
I suspect you will much rather have the drying check that will occur, rather than expend the time, energy, and money to treat it with PEG. The drying check can be controlled as to its location if a sacrificial cut can be made from the bark to the pith.
(All this is predicated on the assumption that a "roundell" is a cross-section of the log).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

I am pretty sure a roundell is what we would call a tree cookie. I think that with that type of Diameter you will certainly have a crack. I also think that beenthere is on to the best plan which would be to plan on the crack and control it. Perhaps incorporate it into the stand or mount on which your roundell will be displayed?

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Swing_blade_Andy

Swing_blade_Andy

Yahoo

Thanks jef for your help.

Anyway I havn't had a lot of luck with any majic remedies to the splittling question so far. there are a couple of interesting ideas with the Pentacryl though. Most think that it or the PEG will have to be applied under negative pressure. ANy thoughts.

I was going to use a bath and dry heat.

Andrew

Den Socling

Hi Andrew,

Jeff's reply reminded me of an idea that Gene had a while back. Cut a pie shape out and return it after drying. Or maybe just leave it out to show more of the character of the round.

Did you ever get that questionaire back from the group in Romania?

Den

Bro. Noble

Andrew,

You sure get involved in some interesting stuff.  Tell us a little background on the tree (would be nice to have some about you too).  What's the building in the background?  It looks kinda familiar to me.  That's not the juvenile detention center in Springfield is it?

Did you see the similar thread on the crossection of Maple?  You guys need to compare notes.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Swing_blade_Andy

Noble

Thanks for asking! The 'building' in the background is Kilkenny Castle - the first part of which was built in the 13th Century and is now one of the most awe inspiring visits in Ireland. I'll try to dig out a broader pic to give a better panorama.

Den
Yes there have been a lot of ideas about the splitting question. One was to cut the roundel in half and then compensate and rejoin when its dry. That sounds like easier joinery than a wedge do you think? I'll check the post on the maple.

We think that the tree is about 500+ years old but the whole point of the project is to produce an almanac in the rings of the tree, perhaps showing the rebellions, revolution, famine, and the secession. There has been whole lot of Ireland's history this tree may have witnessed.

The Project in Romania still teeters along but I fear that there is some difficulty in talking these men into the technology without them trying and failing at Conventional stuff. They have just spent about $100K on a used conventional kiln, which it was promised, would produce 50 cub of 1" oak in 6 weeks. I tried to tell them that this was 'bollocks' but they went ahead and did it anyway. I guess that we'll have another conversation with them when they get 'burnt' (sic).

I'll keep you posted.

Andrew

Thank You Sponsors!