iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wright 37 Sharpener

Started by Foxtrapper, November 30, 2014, 09:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Foxtrapper

I found a used wright 37 band blade sharpener, but don't know enough about them to make an educated decision on buying it.  The guy wants 350 for it.  But it is missing some parts, such as the band blade support brackets.  It comes with one cam which is a c 18 cam.  I currently use wm 10 degree blades, and I also have some 4 degree blades.  Anyone have an info on this sharpener that would help me out?  Need to know if the c 18 cam would work on these blades, and if not, whether or not I can purchase new cams for this..thanks. 8)
2014 WoodMizer LT28

york

Albert

Foxtrapper

Yea, I looked at their website, doesn't tell me which cams are for which blade profiles.  And their manual pdf file needs a password to open..never run into that before.  I have emails out to the company, but they haven't replied yet..thanks for the info..
2014 WoodMizer LT28

york

Not sure now,but few years ago U-CUT sold that sharpener..

http://www.u-cut.com/index.cfm
Albert

bandmiller2

Foxy, that's not a bad price for a decent machine. I don't own a Wright, a Cooks cats claw is all I've used. All the band support brackets do is hold the band level so it can feed into the machine without rocking. Its something you could improvise very easily. Have you seen the machine.?? Plug it in and run it you and the owner could support the band on each side and give it a short test. Has the owner ever used it.?? Don't be overly worried about cams I basically use one cam to do all, their very close just minor changes to the gullet. Most machines have an adjustable head to match hook angles. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

I run that sharpener, the 7/8 pitch cam will sharpen almost any 7/8 pitch blade with some minor adjustments but the 3/4 pitch cam won't work on a 7/8 pitch blade.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Foxtrapper

Quote from: ladylake on December 01, 2014, 08:54:09 AM
I run that sharpener, the 7/8 pitch cam will sharpen almost any 7/8 pitch blade with some minor adjustments but the 3/4 pitch cam won't work on a 7/8 pitch blade.    Steve

Don't happen to know what your cam number is do you?  Thanks for all the replies, I think I will be getting this, as I don't have enough to pick up the cat claw yet. 
2014 WoodMizer LT28

ladylake

I'll get those numbers for the 7/8 and 3/4 tomorrow .   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Foxtrapper

Went and picked it up today.  Bought it from an Amish fellow, so there wasn't anyway to test it before I bought it.  Got him down to 300 for it.  Brought it home and the cam motor wasn't working.  Dang, so I did some trouble shooting, and replaced the cord, works good now.  Going out to set it up this afternoon and then i'll know more...should be fun.. 8)
2014 WoodMizer LT28

ladylake

There are a couple different holes on the height adjustment rod that will make the gullet dept. change, you may have to move from one hole to the other to match the gullet on your blades.  I've also shimmed the mounting block out some to match the gullet better when I sharpen at 4°.  Steve

Foxtrapper

Does yours have the correct blade support brackets ladylake?  Could you measure the length of each side, and the height and width of them if you get a chance?  Going to try to make some as the blade needs to be level according to the manual.  Thanks for all the help..
2014 WoodMizer LT28

ladylake

The 7/8 cam  is  C 18  and the 3/4 cam is C 8
Yes I have the correct blade supports but they would be hard to copy, I'd just use a sheet of plywood with some guides to keep the blade in place.  The blade support should be a little lower than the bottom plate of the clamp as you want the blade to ride on the bottom support on the clamp which is adjustable up-down some.  Steve

Foxtrapper

I rigged up some blade supports today, kinda work ok, blade feeds ok.  Sharpened one blade, but the profile doesn't look quite right.  I figured i'd waste a blade getting this set up.  Won't know how well it worked til I try one I guess.  I have the c18 cam, using woodmizer blades, 10 degree 7/8.  It grinds the tooth face, and the tooth back ok, but doesn't quite catch all the gullet.  I think it will just take some more adjustments to make it work.  Thanks for all the help, stay tuned, I may have more questions.. 8)
2014 WoodMizer LT28

Chuck White

Quote from: Foxtrapper on December 02, 2014, 02:59:54 PM
I rigged up some blade supports today, kinda work ok, blade feeds ok.  Sharpened one blade, but the profile doesn't look quite right.  I figured i'd waste a blade getting this set up.  Won't know how well it worked til I try one I guess.  I have the c18 cam, using woodmizer blades, 10 degree 7/8.  It grinds the tooth face, and the tooth back ok, but doesn't quite catch all the gullet.  I think it will just take some more adjustments to make it work.  Thanks for all the help, stay tuned, I may have more questions.. 8)

That could be all in the profile of the grind rock!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ladylake

If you set the hook angle a little less that will cause the height adjustment rod to ride farther out on the lift arm and will make the gullet a bit deeper, less hook saws better.   Or you could move the height adjustment rod to the hole closer to the mounting bracket which will also make a deeper gullet, then you can fine tune it by adding shims between the bracket and machine.  I'd just try a bit less hook first.   Steve

Foxtrapper

Quote from: Chuck White on December 02, 2014, 05:01:23 PM

That could be all in the profile of the grind rock!

This is my very first try at profiling a grind rock, so you may be absoultly correct in that assement.  I sawed some today, but didn't use the blade I sharpened yet.
2014 WoodMizer LT28

bandmiller2

Foxy, don't be overly concerned if you don't clean the gullet on the first or second pass. One of the advantages of sharpening your own is you can take very light passes and greatly extend the life of your bands. If your hitting the face and the back of the tooth your close. I have found a diamond grit wheel dresser to be fast and easy to dress wheels, not that expensive ether. Frank C.

goose63

bandmiller2 where did you find the diamond grit wheel ?
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

bandmiller2

Goose, its not a diamond grit wheel just a diamond grit wheel dresser used to shape the grinding wheel. I bought it at one of those woodworker wharehouse places but any industrial supply house should have them. I paid around $10.00 but that was 10 yrs. ago. Frank C.

Foxtrapper

Quote from: ladylake on December 02, 2014, 05:48:26 PM

If you set the hook angle a little less that will cause the height adjustment rod to ride farther out on the lift arm and will make the gullet a bit deeper, less hook saws better.   Or you could move the height adjustment rod to the hole closer to the mounting bracket which will also make a deeper gullet, then you can fine tune it by adding shims between the bracket and machine.  I'd just try a bit less hook first.   Steve

By hook angle you mean the degree I set the sharpener to?  I have it set at 10 degrees now.  Although it wasn't quite 10 when I sharpened the blade I did.  I put that one on today for the last two cuts on a 6x6 cant, and it cut quite well, I was surprised.  Will give it a better work out tomorrow on a few full sized logs..
2014 WoodMizer LT28

Foxtrapper

Quote from: bandmiller2 on December 04, 2014, 07:17:58 AM
Foxy, don't be overly concerned if you don't clean the gullet on the first or second pass. One of the advantages of sharpening your own is you can take very light passes and greatly extend the life of your bands. If your hitting the face and the back of the tooth your close. I have found a diamond grit wheel dresser to be fast and easy to dress wheels, not that expensive ether. Frank C.

Ok.  I didn't get the full profile sharpened, but it did ok on the mill today, so maybe that isn't a big deal.  At least it didn't dive, and the cut looked good too..
2014 WoodMizer LT28

Foxtrapper

Thanks for the link, I got to go dig up some parts that are missing.. :-\
2014 WoodMizer LT28

Foxtrapper

Ok, so the blade I sharpened didn't last 100 bf before it started to scallop bad.  I didn't set the teeth on that blade, but have heard tell that setting the teeth on the first resharp isn't usually an issue. 

I started making some better blade supports yesterday, not pretty, but are fully adjustable for up and down.  Still have to make the posts that will hold the blade on the machine.  Getting there slowly.. :)
2014 WoodMizer LT28

ladylake

Keep in mind any blade can get dull fast if you hit some dirt or maybe a small rock, try a few more.  I never set on the first sharpening unless I hit something so that shouldn't be the problem if any.  Are you taking enough off the face of the tooth to get rid of the rounded edges of a dull blade.   Steve

Thank You Sponsors!