iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Really Nice Cedar Grain

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, December 09, 2014, 06:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Don't get a lot of nice Cedar around here especially larger logs.
I was able to squeeze out 14 boards - 12 inches wide - 9.9 feet long.

I was really surprised at the grain and I'm not sure if Cedar Technically has a grain. Its just wood. ;D

Don't forget to check out the AUCTION!

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Delawhere Jack

Suddenly I want a strawberry milkshake......

Baaaah........baaaah!!!

kelLOGg

That is nice. Most cedar I saw of late has small streaks of rot in the heart. The consistently best cedar I have sawn was from standing dead trees on my neighbor's property. All gone now.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Nichols

If Balein' wire and Duck tape ever quit, my whole place is gonna fall apart!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on December 09, 2014, 06:31:49 PM
Suddenly I want a strawberry milkshake......

Baaaah........baaaah!!!

:D :D :D

drobertson

Poor growing conditions contribute to this wood grain growth,, but for where it's from not too shabby,  a big one for sure.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Yours was much nicer than the ERC that I finished up with today.  Two very junky logs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

wood monger

That's some perty cedar Poston, what's up with the goats? You do have them trained pretty well to wear those costumes.

Tree Dan

Yaa I like his new hat ;D
We never see cedar like that up here...I bet It smells nice

Cheers
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Peter Drouin

Nice, was the tree from someones front yard?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 09, 2014, 08:17:05 PM
Nice, was the tree from someones front yard?

As a matter of fact it was Peter. The tree service brought in it last week from our nearest town. It was in a yard from the old homes part of town.

WDH

That is some of the prettiest cedar that I have ever seen. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

I reckon you southern boys need to take a gander at Ozarks cedar, however, ECR is real nice no matter where it's from.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

caveman

Nice boards.  $300???  Just a guess. 
Caveman

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I could call them "BUCK BOARDS" . ;D

I have tried scroll sawing critters out of Cedar before...it looked nice, but trying to scroll saw Antlers was hard....they kept breaking.  >:(

woodjunky

dgdrls

Lane Cedar Chest folks would be drooling if they saw that material.

Very Nice indeed.

DGDrls

Dave H.

Left Coast Chris

Just beautiful.    Looks like it did not have much taper?

Our western red cedar is a bit less colorful but still nice although it usually has a lot of taper.   Just not fair.... ::) :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

okmulch

That definitely is some nice cedar!

Out of the thousands and thousands of logs we sawed at my cedar mill in Alabama each year we might come across 10 that had that grain pattern.

At last years pig roast I gave Fat Old Elf several pieces of that type of cedar for him to work with. :)
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

drobertson

I've seen so much cedar and it's all pretty, one better than the next.  it really is some beautiful wood,

Thank You Sponsors!