iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I'm about to be rich with sycamore!

Started by hackberry jake, December 15, 2014, 08:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

Talked to a distant neighbor over the weekend. He has two MASSIVE sycamore trees he is going to remove from the edge of his yard. He said I can have them if I want them. Now just what to do with all the wood. I'm sure WDH and Customsawyer would quartersaw it and sell it. I might try that I guess. Or just make 2x6s and 2x4s out of it like I normally do. I didn't think to get any pictures of them.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

Quartersaw it so that your 2x4"s and 2x6's don't twist.  If you quartersaw it, you will be happy. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Tree Dan

Nice wood Jake, but I think your pulling our leg ;D
We need pictures. :snowball:
Wood Mizer LT40HD, Kubota KX71, New Holland LS150, Case TR270
6400 John Deere/with loader,General 20" planer, Stihl 880, Stihl 361, Dolmar 460, Husqvarna 50  and a few shovels,
60" and 30" Log Rite cant hooks, 2 home built Tree Spades, Homemade log splitter

Dave Shepard

Using sycamore for studs is like putting good aged cheddar on grits. Or at least, that's what I hear. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

Quartersaw the best at 6/4 and call it "Table Top Sycamore". 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Swatson

Ah the sycamore conundrum...Lots of folks like it, few folks buy it.  I have worked with quite a bit and like it, but it is moody.  Face a board after breakfast and on a humid day by supper you could make a good propeller out of it.  It is beautiful when it is spalted and cut 8/4 as a table top.
I cant figure out which one I like better: working with wood or making the tools to work with wood.

Brad_S.

I wish I could get my hands on some large sycamore logs...I have standing requests for every last piece of QS 4/4 I could produce!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

hackberry jake

Maybe I'll qsaw all of it at 4/4 and haul it to new york.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

sandsawmill14

hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Bill Gaiche

The power line clearing crew just recently cut one on the edge of there right of way. Not large but about 22" at the little end of 8'. I am going to go and bring two of them to the house,or they will go to waste. I intend to 1/4 saw it. That stuff sure has some pretty rays when 1/4 sawn. I am building a vanity out of some now and a mirror frame. It will be stained by someone else with an expresso color. I like working with it. It is pretty nice to work with. Jake I will assure you someone will like something made from it. bg

WDH

Quote from: hackberry jake on December 15, 2014, 10:10:45 PM
Maybe I'll qsaw all of it at 4/4 and haul it to new york.

I like the way you think ;D. 

kevin19343

Sounds like you're about to become a sycamillionaire

RPowers

I'm not sure how big they are, but if you need help breaking them down Jake my CSM will do 51" width. Have fun with them.
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

hackberry jake

Quote from: RPowers on December 16, 2014, 11:36:36 AM
I'm not sure how big they are, but if you need help breaking them down Jake my CSM will do 51" width. Have fun with them.
I might take you up on that!

Quote from: kevin19343 on December 16, 2014, 11:10:42 AM
Sounds like you're about to become a sycamillionaire
:D

petefrom bearswamp

Being away from stream bottoms i dont get any sycamore but would like to try sawing some to add to my pile of unsold hardwoods.
My marketing skills suck for hardwoods.
I have several mbf of cherry maple ash elm beech etc etc etc
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

mmartone

I have a stack of qtr sawn on the back porch waiting to become some kitchen cabinet faces and a slap waiting to become and island top. I think its pretty wood
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

MobileSawmillNJ

Here's a few pictures of dual live-edge Sycamore slabs one of our customers finished and are using as communal tables at a new restaurant in NJ.  They are 9/4 thick, 8' long, and between 29 - 32" wide.
Slabs were taken from about 3" above center heart.

We also supplied the aged "barnwood" on the walls in the background.

Magicman

The "TAPHOUSE" has good taste.  (pun intended)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dboyt

What do you mean by "massive"?  I cut down a 5' dia sycamore a few years back.  It was hollow, but the customer was delighted with it, and made a playhouse for the kids.  He uses a 5' section of it for a blind during hunting season.  Looking forward to photos!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

hackberry jake

Probably around 40" diameter and 100" tall. They should make a whack of logs.

WDH

Thank You Sponsors!