iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Almost firewood

Started by OHBucknut, March 10, 2019, 02:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OHBucknut

Well I finally got my mill assembled and made a few cuts. I recently bought norwoods budget mill,the frontier os31. So naturally I couldn't wait to make the first cuts. I don't know anything about milling other than what I read on here and have YouTubed lol. 

I have a bunch of standing dead maple on the back half the property and before I had the mill I was cutting them in sections and dragging them to the firewood pile. So I decided to throw one I haven't cut up yet on the mill for kicks.

Here are the results. It's still mostly usable but not far from being too far gone.

Sorry I can't seem to figure out posting pictures 

terrifictimbersllc

Looks like you got the photo posting down pretty good.  Just before clicking on "insert photo into post", you want to rotate these 90 degrees, so click on the +90 button first. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

btulloh

Congrats on the new mill and the new sawdust.  And posting pics too.

That there log has some character.  :)
HM126

thecfarm

Can you say splated? What's the plan for the rest of the lumber you are going to saw?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

OHBucknut

I really don't have a plan. Lol. I really just need to cut a bunch of dimensional lumber for a building but whenever I come across a log like this one I'm not afraid to cut a 9/4 live edge slab. 

I have to come up with plans for a mill shed, solar kiln, and a small barn. (More projects than time ) 

marcnaz

Thanks for sharing the pics and congrats on the mill! I appreciate the info I got from you via PMs. Looks like you're up and running and and it's alive!
USAF Retired

RPF2509

Don't diss that maple.  Spalting like that is sought after in the cabinetry trade.  Wood can even be a bit punky and still be usable.

OHBucknut

Some of it was a little punky but most was solid. I don't see how the pinky stuff would be any good?

Thank You Sponsors!