iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LogRite 78 inch cant hook tool

Started by MbfVA, November 27, 2017, 04:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MbfVA

Biggest one they offer, and the handle is aluminum. Opinions on this v the shorter one(s)?   Worth the money?

Except when sold by Wood Mizer (they apparently OEM it orange from logrite), the handle is yellow to distinguish it from their other "lesser" products.  I have the multitool one made by someone else (brand escapes me at the moment), which I'm still learning to use ( almost like buying a computer) which is lighter duty. I'd like to have this big one for horsing the really big stuff around.

I like the lifetime guarantee.
www.ordinary.com (really)

bandmiller2

A fella really needs at least two a short cant hook and a longer cant or peavey. I use a short LR sawyers special cant hook on my circular mill as a longer handle is awkward. On the bandmill I use a medium length peavey. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

bandmiller2

Rereading your post I see you have equipment to handle logs, you may find the long canthook awkward. If a fella has a manual mill and has to horse the logs around himself A long handle is indispensable. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

The mega hook is also built using thicker aluminum tubing.  All of the powder coating, regardless of the color, is done by an outside source before it leaves Logrite.

PatD and I toured the Logrite factory in July and it was amazing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Joed

I have the long one that I use when I have an odd shaped or large log. Works very well, most of the time I hand it to the young guys and I grab one of my shorter one's.
Valley Big Green Monster

Savannahdan

I have 2 Logrite 60" peaveys and 1 48"or so offbrand cant hook that I got for free. Lot's of times I probably could use the 78" model. 
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Grizzly

a 78" would be grand when muscling a 36" wet spruce. ours are all 16ft so they get heavy. we currently have 1 - 48" and that's not enough.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

terrifictimbersllc

As the handles get larger so does the hook size.  The 78" is not suitable for grabbing small logs.  You want a range of them.  I have three, the 78, a 60, and a 48.   Sometimes I would like to have a little one but you CAN have too many tools if you are portable milling.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

starmac

Here we go with a dumb question.
My one and only cant hook is a 60 inch, I do not know the brand, but it is old. The older logger that I bought my mill from gave it to me.
For my use (limited) it works and works well, can't ask for better. I keep reading the logrights are better, what would be the justification for me to upgrade? I do think I might like to have one of the mill specials.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Dave Shepard

A LogRite will hook into the log better than any of the other kinds. I have a 60" and a 30". Been using the 30" in the hewing yard a lot lately. Also, you can run over a LogRite and they don't seem to mind much. Although that is not recommended.  :D

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

starmac

Well, that is what I am trying to understand, mine hooks up as good as it gets, and will stay hooked for more pressure than I can put on it. I just can't see better. I do like the handles, but the way mine is used, I figure the handle will outlast me, unless I do run it over or something.

To be fair I pretty much only saw spruce, that is straight and not nobby.  If I sawed the variety of logs you guys get it might not hook up as well.
I also always lay a couple of similar sized logs down for a log deck, and basically only use the can't hook to roll the logs off onto the loader, which is pretty easy duty on it, infact a lot of logs I can just roll by hand.
I also have no need to saw smaller than 10 or 12 inch tops, smaller goes for firewood, so no need for several sizes.

I can see where it is possible mine would not be as good as I think it is if I was sawing logs with crooks, nobs, crotches and maybe in different types of bark.

Stuart Caruk

I've ended up on my butt far to many times with cheap cant hooks. I swapped everything out to logrights and won't ever go back to anything else.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Dan_Shade

The 78" one is for seriously large logs.  Not sure of the smallest log that they'll hook, but it will definitely hook up a 60" log

I have two of them, I figured if the log is that big, then I would need help
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

fishfighter

Quote from: Stuart Caruk on November 27, 2017, 04:53:53 PM
I've ended up on my butt far to many times with cheap cant hooks. I swapped everything out to logrights and won't ever go back to anything else.

Yep, after a very good busted butt, it was time for a up grade. ;D

WV Sawmiller

I have the 60" and its great. I did customize the handle a bit with a 1600 bf poplar I cut on it. Still works great even with the slight extra curve. I have an old beater of a wooden handled hook I use as a sort of mill special but it is nothing like the logrite. I thought about the 78" version but decided my mill was never designed to cut logs that big anyway so stuck with the 60". One of these days I will break down and buy a second one as sometimes I really do need another one to help turn big logs. I cannot expect a customer on a mobile job to have one and even when they do have an old cant hook they quickly see the logrite far outperforms theirs.

I have it on good authority a member in Mississippi has an excess of Logrites but he has not seen fit to share with us unfortunate brethren. :D ;D ;)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

drobertson

All I can say is if you need a 6' hook? You may need other things too, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

I retired these.

And now have what I consider to be the perfect arsenal of Logrites.   logrite_cool
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

starmac

Quote from: drobertson on November 27, 2017, 07:12:20 PM
All I can say is if you need a 6' hook? You may need other things too,

A good chance before long, you might need something you don't want. lol

Stuart Caruk

MM, that zombie killer on the bottom it the cats meow. I have a pair of them since I'm too lazy to walk far to pick one up. I still can't figure out why a flitch that I can barely move when I grab it, is coerced to fly off the log with little effort after stabbing it with one of these suckers. They sure do make life easy. I may have to grab another one just for grabbing firewood out of the shed.
Stuart Caruk
Wood-Mizer LX450 Diesel w/ debarker and home brewed extension, live log deck and outfeed rolls. Woodmizer twin blade edger, Barko 450 log loader, Clark 666 Grapple Skidder w/ 200' of mainline. Bobcats and forklifts.

Thank You Sponsors!