iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Outdoor wood boilers

Started by delvis, April 01, 2014, 12:53:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delvis

Hello folks,

This is my first time posting on this part of the forum as I usually post in the sawmilling section.  I need to upgrade my home heating system and am trying to find the best tool for the job.  Right now I am bouncing back and forth between a traditional outdoor wood boiler and a coal/pellet boiler.  I have oil fired baseboard heat in the house and also have an old forced hot air wood furnace in the basement.  I have been burning wood in the wood furnace for quite a few years now but I feel that it is just not efficient enough to heat my old drafty house.  One of the main problems I have is getting a good hot fire going and then having pipes in the baseboard system freezing because the temp in the house is too warm to make the oil furnace come on.

I would like to get the fire out of the house and with the rather large garage I have, I think I could put a wood boiler in there with its own chimney.  I could heat the garage that way as well.  I currently buy tree length firewood and process it with a chainsaw and wood splitter but I have access to a lot of slab wood from my sawmill that I can't burn in the wood stove downstairs.  This would help cut down on some of the hardwood I am currently using.  I cut and split close to 16 cord a year now.  Like I said the house is old and drafty and needs windows and insulation, but I want to get the heating problem fixed first to cut down on the amount of money I am spending on oil.

What brands of wood boilers do people have and what do you like most about them?  What do you like least about them?  What about their lifespan?  I have heard stories of people not being happy because the fireboxes aren't lasting on some brands. 

Any information I can get from those people using wood boilers would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks, Mike
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

dave_dj1

I would spend the money on upgrades to your home such as windows, doors and insulation. That will give you an annual payback. I love the idea of an outside wood burner but to spend 10K or more putting one in and knowing that I would be losing so much heat to the outdoors not to mention all the extra wood you would need to work up just doesn't seem right.
That being said, can you use a conventional unit up there or does it have to be a gassifier?
dave

Upnorth

Hi Delvis,

I run a Central Outdoor boiler, model 6048. It is a 400 gallon stove with the optional dual fuel burner installed (diesel or home heating oil). I have a 200 gallon fuel tank beside the stove, and use the burner to start fires occasionally or as back up if we go away.

This is supposed to be the cadillac of boilers, however,.... The dual fuel burner is horribly unreliable. Don't go away for a week in January and expect it to be working.

Anyways, the 6048 is a nice stove. Huge firebox, 25 yr warranty (limited), will burn wet green wood that you couldn't burn with a torch, and has 2 pump ports. The insulation on these stoves is incredible. I will have snow accumulate on the roof.

I heat my house, 3700 sq ft total, with in-floor heating in the basement, and forced air throughout, and my shop that is 30x50x12 with forced air.

In our area, NW Ontario, dry birch is about the best, however I often use green poplar right off the stump if it's not too cold (-20 C or warmer). Dry pine is nice too if you have it. Point being is that these things will burn wood that you wouldn't consider using in your indoor stove.

I had a very bad experience with an indoor stove a few years ago (lost everything) and swore I'd never do it again, and I won't. The outdoor boilers are safe, no mess in the house, no dust, smoke, etc.

If I was heating only the house, I'd go propane. If you have a big toy box to heat, or a few outbuildings, you will like the boiler.

Upnorth.
TJ 205
TJ 240E
TJ 350A x 3
TJ 230D x 4

LittleJohn

Check with INSURANCE, some now will charge you and arm and a leg for indoor wood furnace/boiler.  In my opinion, have the fire outside the house is better; used to have indoor wood furnace, few years back moved out of town and installed an OWB - all the mess, smoke and wood piles are all outside.  Only drawback to an outdoor - is that you have to put pants on to fire, unless you are brave and can handle the cold. 

thecfarm

Quote from: delvis on April 01, 2014, 12:53:55 AM
I would like to get the fire out of the house and with the rather large garage I have, I think I could put a wood boiler in there with its own chimney. 

If you do the above you don't want an OWB in your garage. My smokes when I open the door. I have a Heatmor and they have no natural draft. Air come in from 2 fans. I have a OWB that will take a 54 inch stick. Brought it back in '07 when things was reasonable in price. I bought it thinking I was going to have a working garage. I don't see that now in the plans. I brought it to burn all my softwood and dead wood in it. After about 4-5 years of burning all my junk wood just about steady,I am very happy with it. Only had problems with a blower. No calls to the dealer to ask questions or troubleshoot. The ones out now are diffeant than the one I have.
Good luck with your search. I looked for years before making up my mind.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!