iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Favorite Poverty Meal?

Started by No_Dude, August 07, 2018, 12:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Quote from: Hilltop366 on August 09, 2018, 03:31:20 PM
I'v heard the generation before me talk about being embarrassed about having to take lobster sandwiches on homemade bread to school, if they had the chance the would trade up to bologna sandwiches with store bought bread.
::)  I use to "trade up" homemade cookies and cake for store bought twikies and devil dogs. ::) 
Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

People in tennessee will sure trade pinto beans for lobster. 

Pickle wraps are pretty decent.  Spread mayo on a piece of bread.  Drop on a pickle and make a fist.  Its the corndog of the garden.
Praise The Lord

Texas Ranger

Family would have "slumgullion", what ever canned vegies and what ever meat into a stew pot.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

mike_belben

Fried squash sandwich with ranch.  The bacon is for frying grease. 

Praise The Lord

Roxie

Sorry Mike, but I gotta call a foul on that sammich.  There can be no poverty in anything that includes bacon or cheese.  Now if you were eating just the squash on bread...well yeah.  :)
Say when

Raider Bill

Quote from: Roxie on August 10, 2018, 12:08:52 PM
Sorry Mike, but I gotta call a foul on that sammich.  There can be no poverty in anything that includes bacon or cheese.  Now if you were eating just the squash on bread...well yeah.  :)
I dunno.. that welfare cheese make a fine sammich.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

mike_belben

I live in a soggy camper parked in a mudpit, so i get a pass.  :D

Now if i had a mortgage, itd be just squash.. The only part i got free. 
Praise The Lord

olcowhand

I vote we give Belben a "Pass" on the store bought Bacon (he only has about 1/20th of a pound on his sammich). He has too many other "good idea" posts that make up for it.
Thanks, Mike (That does look good).
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Novascotiamill

Fortunately the lobster sandwiches became defunt when i was about 10( father was no longer able to tend the pots due to nosey fisheries officers) 

My favorite poverty meal occurred on saturdays. Supper was home fried french fries . The cooking oil came from the lard pot,bacon fat etc that was saved overtime . These were the best tasting fries ever .
Nothing else was served with them except ketchup and vinegar.
2017 HM130
Stihl 261
2010 F150 xtr
Lots of rigid genx5 tools
1 long haired german shepherd
2017 kioti ck2610HST with FEL and forks
Grindlux band sharpener
Wicked 55" root rake grapple
O

No_Dude

Quote from: Texas Ranger on August 10, 2018, 10:09:26 AM
Family would have "slumgullion", what ever canned vegies and what ever meat into a stew pot.
My family always called that "Muskgo" You walk into to the kitchen and open all the cabinets, and start picking out all the things that must go, "This must go, this must go, and this must go"  :D

scgargoyle

When I was a starving young man, I  ate a lot of mac 'n cheese. The cheap kind, with powdered cheese. It was 5 boxes for a buck. On Sundays, I'd splurge and throw in some Spam.
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

DanG

My Mom would make chicken&rice using the backs and necks. She called it "Napoleon Stew" since it was made with the bony parts. :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Roxie

Now, that's just wrong.  :D :D :D :D
Say when

LeeB

Used to be chicken and dumplings for us. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: olcowhand on August 09, 2018, 05:54:46 AMI always enjoyed having Chicken Gizzards on noodles.
I remember having that quite often as a kid (youngest of 7).  I really liked it.  Another favorite was Lizard's Tails - I think my mom made up the name so us boys would gobble it up. :D  It was a red soup/sauce of sorts with long strips of green chili peppers (the tails) and eggs poached.  It might have been served with rice or noodles - I don't remember.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

lxskllr

My poverty lunch today...

1 can blackbeans drained, and mashed with ~1tbsp jarred chopped garlic
    Mixed in 1 can Rotel
    Added a ton of chopped cilantro
    Shredded sharp cheddar on top
    Eaten with blue corn tortilla chips

Pretty good, but in retrospect, I should have drained the Rotel. Made it a little too juicy.

The Rotel and cheese were new additions today. Otherwise, That's what I sometimes take to work for lunch.

No_Dude

Black peans would kill me, swap that out with something else and that sounds pretty decent.

lxskllr

Quote from: No_Dude on August 12, 2018, 08:34:58 PM
Black peans would kill me, swap that out with something else and that sounds pretty decent.
Gas? Beans don't affect me at all. Whole grains OTOH... Oof. Not even sure exactly what does it. Some are fine, but others tear me up. It happens infrequently enough that I haven't narrowed in on the exact cause. Oh, there is one bean that gives me terrible gas; limas. I love them too. Just need to make sure I only eat them when I'll be by myself for awhile  :^D

No_Dude

Hahaha, no no, I just dont like black beans that much. If they were mixed w some others it would be fine, but straight is too much. Now I do think I have late onset Lactose intollerance. I think processed milk like cheese and the sort or fine, but straight milk may mess me up. I havent had a long enough time alone where I feel comfortable testing that theory yet.

MAF143

Cracker Magic 

Accidentally discovered this when the boys were young.  My wife was away for the evening and I was fixing spaghetti for the boys.  I put the can of sauce in the pan to warm up and discovered we had no spaghetti pasta in the house.  We had no time to run to the store since we had a Scout meeting that evening so I crushed up saltine crackers on their plates and put the sauce over it.  They loved it and it became a frequent favorite till they moved away many years later.
Always having a great day!
Husky 357 self ported, MS 250 MM, MS 362  MM, HM-126, Ferguson TO-35, '04 F-250 wood cuttin' truck, splitter, Woodland Mills Grindlux 4000 sharpener, Vogelzang Ponderosa keeping us warm

Roxie

That was genius!  I load up my tomato soup and chili with crackers.  Stands to reason that would be good. 
Say when

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: MAF143 on August 13, 2018, 01:27:29 AM
Cracker Magic

Accidentally discovered this when the boys were young.  My wife was away for the evening and I was fixing spaghetti for the boys.  I put the can of sauce in the pan to warm up and discovered we had no spaghetti pasta in the house.  We had no time to run to the store since we had a Scout meeting that evening so I crushed up saltine crackers on their plates and put the sauce over it.  They loved it and it became a frequent favorite till they moved away many years later.
??? ??? ??? food1
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

gspren

Quote from: Raider Bill on August 09, 2018, 05:14:49 PM
Quote from: No_Dude on August 09, 2018, 03:01:42 PM
Quote from: gspren on August 09, 2018, 01:00:22 PM
Regular barn pigeons have more meaty breasts than most people would believe and with a small fishing net taped to a long pole they are easy to catch at night.
How do they taste
Taste like chicken
That's pretty much true. My grandmother would tell us to get a mess of pigeons which grandpa would dispatch by wringing their necks. Grandma would fix them like miniature roasting chickens complete with filling/stuffing and put a bunch in a roaster and we each got our own.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

mike_belben

Cracker magic reminds me of another one ive done in the past.  The leftover chunks of chicken on a next day bird carcass.  Toss them in the pan with some butter, fry up then pour on a bit of tomato sauce and shredded or sliced cheese as you turn the burner off.  

It comes out like some kinda hackjob italian dinner. Chicken, sauce and cheese is hard to get wrong.  Eat it as is or on bread, hot dog roll etc.  With grape drank. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!