iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dog training

Started by sawguy21, May 26, 2016, 11:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

I need some help here. We acquired a Shi Tzu/Maltese cross history unknown that immediately bonded with me, I can't move without her in attendance. The problem is she will not go outside to do her business without me. If I try to shoo her out she just stands there and looks at me. I have tried going out with her then immediately coming back closing the door behind me, she just stands at the door and barks if I take too long. She has been trained to go out as she has bolted out ahead of me to the grass on occasion.
Even if the door is open she starts bugging me to take her out. Anybody have any ideas on how to potty train this little squatter?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

warren46

I don't have any suggestions for raining but I know from experience it is really a bummer when it is raining or twenty below an 3:00 in the morning.
Warren E. Johnson
Timber Harvester 36HTE25, John Deere 300b backhoe/loader.

thecfarm

I wonder if you could feed her outside a few times? You go out too and than go back inside after a few times. Put her food down and than go inside. Good luck. I have a Shi Tzu and Pom mix. She acts likes she is numb,but she is not. Can't teach her much. Does great on the going out part,but that is about it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

It may be that she wants to stay near her new pack and has determined that you are the the leader. Give it some time and try having someone else take her out on a leash and give her a cookie when she comes back in. I have 2 small dogs and they have trained me well.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Roxie

If I hadn't done it myself, I wouldn't have believed it, but you can litter train a dog.  Given your location, weather, and the size of your critter I'd say that would be the easiest and most stress free way. 

I'll skip the details for now, but I'd be more than happy to relate my experience on how to proceed, if anyone is interested. 
Say when

Magicman

Sounds like she has you trained well, so it may be time for some "tough love".  Put her out and close the door.  Yup, it may take some time, maybe hours and probably more than once.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Den Socling

We have developed this system with our Cocker Spaniel/Poodle mix. It started with feeding. When he was a pup, as soon as he ate we put him outside on a long rope. We have one in the front and one in the back. He then learned to scratch the door when he wants out. At that time he gets a little treat. It took a few months to get to this. I didn't happen overnight.

clearcut

It may be a form of Separation Anxiety in Dogs. Google the term for training ideas. "Tough Love" could make the problem worse.

Carbon sequestered upon request.

sawguy21

Thanks for the suggestions. Karen has limited mobility due to severe arthritis, it is not practical for her to be walking the dog with the steps off the deck and slope in the yard. Millie also will not go willingly with her if I am present. I tried leaving her outside by herself but she ran and hid under the bed the next time she was due to go out.
This dog has serious anxiety issues. We got her from a friend of my sister who rescued her, we have no idea of her history but she has a real fear of people and women in particular. She really needs counseling  ;D

Magicman

OK, I thought that it was a young puppy.  Seems like there is something about "old dogs and new tricks".   :P

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

She will be five in a couple of weeks, we got her in November. The seller used her to breed two litters then sold her to my sister.

lowpolyjoe

Sorry to hear it.   One of our dogs has bad separation anxiety and goes absolutely crazy when my wife and I try to leave the house.  I think that is somewhat commong - but I never heard of a dog that would only go outside with one person.  You must have made quite an impression on the little critter :D

Good luck!

rick carpenter

What about going out with her, leave her out for a few minutes by herself, go back out, repeat a bunch of times. Give her small treats when she wanders away from you even for a few feet. When she gets accustomed to that, very gradually lengthen the amount of time you spend inside. Give treats when she does what you want.
Suburban Redneck raised up in the Deep South!

sawguy21

I have been trying that, she follows me back to the door and sits there although if she gets busy sniffing I can sometimes sneak away.

grouch

If you got the time, maybe pull up a lawn chair and see who gets bored the quickest. :)

I don't know much about training a dog but it sure sounds to me like she's scared of losing you -- the separation anxiety mentioned by clearcut looks like the right fit. It took a long time for Marshall (English mastiff in my avatar) to trust that we weren't going anywhere without him. Now he'll go inside when he's hot and come outside when he wants without worry.
Find something to do that interests you.

Thank You Sponsors!