iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Plasma Cutters

Started by Night Raider, November 16, 2009, 02:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Night Raider

I know this isn't exactly forestry related but I know lots of guys here have a lot of experience with welding etc... I was wondering if anyone had experience with a Cut-50 Plasma cutter, here's a link to the specs http://www.bobthewelder.com.au/product.php?productid=900&cat=163&page=1 I wouldn't be asking, but it appears to be a chinese made unit.  There is a guy in town that has one for sale "new in box", I also wasn't sure about replacing the consumables too. 
My welder is a lincoln and I've been happy with it, but if I'm going to buy a lincoln or miller plasma cutter it's going to be a long time before I buy one for very limited use.

Thanks

Don_Papenburg

I was told to not spend  money on anything but a Thermodine unit  . That is all that they make ,plasma cutters .   I think that they rebrand for other mfgrs. also  .   I have an old Seeley plasma that I bought new .  I have not been pleased with it . I have to scratch start the arc  , that makes for short life of the tips . If you can get to a trade show or a retail welding supplier that has a good stock of plasma they might let you try out a couple .  I would not buy one without a tryout any more .  Find the best one you can afford and put away five or ten bucks a week till you can afford it . don't throw away good money on one that you will be unhappy with in a month or two.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

IMERC

another vote for the Thermodyne...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Burlkraft

A third vote for Thermodyne.

We've had a couple over the years and love them
Why not just 1 pain free day?

JSNH

I really like my hypertherm 800. No problem with it. I purchased it used from rediarc welder rentals for less then half of a new one. I had it for 10 years now.

DR_Buck

I bought the Chinese one on sale for the little I'll be using it.   It works very well for a $400 investment.  Much better than a torch or hack saw.    All of the consumables and tips are available from multiple sources on the web.  I wouldn't buy it if you are planning lots of high duty cycle or prolong use.  For that I'd spend the money and get a Thermodyne.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Donald D

I have a Hypertherm 1000 on my CNC plasma table with the machine head. I can't tell you how many hours I have on it, but I can say it's alot. I have never had any problems with it, it makes a clean cut in material from 28ga through 3\4" plate, leaves very little dross if any, and I get excellent life from the consumables. If you can spend the money up front to get a good machine, it will pay you back many times.

timberfaller390

I have a lincoln 3phase, not sure what model. As soon as I get it hooked up I'll let you know how I like it.
L.M. Reese Co. Land Management Contractors
Stihl MS390
John Deere 50G excavator
John Deere 5103
John Deere 440 ICD dozer

beenthere

Don't know anything about it but for what it's worth, see that Sears has the Hobart 625 Plasma Cutter (00920660) on sale for 1400, marked down from $1900.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Burlkraft

Quote from: beenthere on November 18, 2009, 10:10:32 AM
Don't know anything about it but

I guy should never really admit that on the forum...in print too!!   :D  :D  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

beenthere

:D :D :D

It is down to $900 now. Only cuts to 5/8" thickness. So prolly not useful in a shop.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00920660000P?keyword=00920660&sLevel=0#desc
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Night Raider

I wasn't big on the idea of a chinese one so I threw out a low number, but he didn't take it, I'll just keep an eye out for a good used one.  It won't be getting anywhere near heavy use but I've never regretted buying a higher quality tool.
Thanks for all the replies.

Night Raider

For those Thermadyne fans, I've found a used Thermal-Arc 3XR 240V.  Does anyone have any experience with this model?

Thanks

scsmith42

I've had a Miller Spectrum 2050 for several years - no complaints or problems.

Have heard a lot of good things about Thermodyne and Hypotherm though.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!