iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Growing burls

Started by jim king, January 25, 2011, 08:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Yeah, we lost pour Jim some time ago. I think he and the wife had a great life down in Peru though. And he was always talking about the struggles down there with 'outsiders' trying to influence forest activities. The WWF's address down there was an abandoned building. He used to tell us about how some gringo, once in awhile, would show up down there to make a new life for themselves. Most never made it.

Miss Jim being around. He could sure write some long posts about his ordeals. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

wesdor

Trying to bring this topic up again.  Wondering if anybody has progress to report

Thanks in advance

mesquite buckeye

Superdave does a lot of wood turning and he says he has never found a bullet in a burl. He says this is probably 50 mesquite burls and quite a few cherry burls from New Jersey. :) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

dean herring

Just how much are burles worth?
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

SwampDonkey

Depends on grain pattern, species, and what's hot at the moment of sale. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mesquite buckeye

If the burl is for turning stock, the price is limited by the selling price of the bowl or other items and the value of labor/artistic ability of the turner and a profit for the store that sells the bowl. It all works backwards from the selling price of finished products. :)

Highly valuable burls are a bit like highly valuable black walnut... ;D ;D ;D :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mesquite buckeye

I believe it should be possible to create burls with grafting techniques. I'd think a walnut burl would be highly valuable. ;D ;D ;D

If anybody is interested I can explain how you could do it. :)

aehartle

Any update to the progress of the trees? I am brand new to this forum and couldn't stop reading...

Jeff

I'm sorry to say that Jim King passed away several years ago and we will most likely never know the answer.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WH_Conley

I sure do miss Jim's stories.
Bill

Magicman

Hello aehartle and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  How about an intro and sharing some of your tree/log/lumber interest.  Adding your location to your profile helps with questions.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!