iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My DIY bandsaw mill

Started by longframe200, January 18, 2018, 04:03:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longframe200

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."  "A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes."  "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled."  - Mark Twain

longframe200

Well this is it, built on what was on the shelf. the grinding wheel is on its way. Now missing only support for the saw band, some color and to see if it can sharpen a saw band of course. This was fun :) Probably will I build a more "professional" machine later.

Thank you

Tom

slip - YouTube
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."  "A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes."  "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled."  - Mark Twain

longframe200

Now is the machine tested, it works over all expectation, I had to reshape the cam wheel a bit for it to work properly. The disc is not balanced, but the vibration is minimal. The blade I was grinding actually went from sharp to sharper, It was new and unused, bought the cheapest I could find. It also had different measurements between the teeth, probably is the tooth setting not particularly carefully done either. When I tested the sawmill (same type of blade) were there a lot of "scratches" on the boards.

I built it with inspiration from here and youtube.
Thank you!

Next may be a tooth setting device.

slip2 - YouTube

longframe200

Easy to manufacture, simple and functional. If it will "set" the teeth accurate remains to be seen.

Built with inspiration from here and youtube.
Thank you!

Otl

New guy on the block, building my sawmill and need to know the best pulley to use as the driver for blade pulley(zinc,aluminium, cast iron. Thanks

york

OTL,Welcome,but how about starting your own thread???

Please keep your build all in one thread,so the body can follow you and be of help....
Albert

longframe200

Quote from: Otl on March 19, 2018, 12:21:17 PM
New guy on the block, building my sawmill and need to know the best pulley to use as the driver for blade pulley(zinc,aluminium, cast iron. Thanks
I would use cast iron, but try a search, the forum is full with knowledge on the subject.

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

longframe200

The snow is almost gone and the saw has been tested. I promised to make a movie, it can be viewed here. Video - norasagen800.simplesite.com

Ljohnsaw

Very nice! 8) Isn't it great when all your hard work works out?

The only improvement that I would do is put a angled deflector on your sawdust shoot to get the dust to hit the ground near the mill instead of shooting so far out.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

longframe200

Quote from: ljohnsaw on April 23, 2018, 09:09:17 PMVery nice! 8) Isn't it great when all your hard work works out?

Thank you! Yes it certainly is :) And yes an angled deflector is needed :)

longframe200

longframe200

bwstout

outstand build I used the same plans to build my mill as you made some changes. Still have not built a sharpener just having hard time getting it all in my head at my age have lots of issue getting thing settled in my head ;D
home built mill

longframe200

Thank you very much and yes, Ben's plans are very good and at a reasonable price.

Thank You Sponsors!