iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Fireplace Insert questions (Merged Topics)

Started by Dan_Shade, September 08, 2005, 09:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edsaws

I get it occassionally and believe its the moisture in the wood. The only way I get rid of it is with a nice hot fire. I adjust the dampers ( I have 2) to control how fast mine will burn. I usually load it 3 times a day.

Modat22

How long have you had this stove? Have you had your stove pipe cleaned this year?

The reason I ask is, if you've been burning this stove a couple years cold and haven't cleaned your stove pipe you might end up with a chiminy fire if you all the sudden build an inferno blaze in there.
remember man that thy are dust.

getoverit

I have inherited this house from my parents. The insert is about 3 years old, but dad told me that he had the chimney swept last spring.

I'll try finding some dry wood and build a whopper of a fire in there when the temp falls again. The problem is that here in Florida it only gets down to fireplace temps in the night time. It warmns up during the day to a point that a fireplace is too much heat. Maybe later in the winter it will be cold enough for a full time fire.

Thanks for the tips !!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

UNCLEBUCK

Cleaning windows: I asked my dad how he keeps his glass so clean on the fireplace doors and he burns green ash all the time . He said its the location of the outside fresh air inlet that enters into the fireplace directly above the doors and  that air falling washes the insides of the windows and then get sucked back up and out the chimney . Once a month he uses "easy off" oven cleaner to really make it clear.  He has a bunch of homemade cooking utensils to cook over the open flame and that is kind of tasty with the right fire. Lets see porkchops on a stick,hot dogs on a stick,steaks etc . Anything he can get on the long metal stick  :D
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

pappy

Quote from: getoverit on December 13, 2005, 10:47:01 AM
I have an appalachain stove fireplace insert with a glass door. Every time I build a fire in it, the glass in the door soot's up to the point that you cant see thru it. I can scrape the soot off with a razor, but it comes right back.

Is there a way to keep this from happening?

We use "Rutland Hearth & Grill Conditioning Glass Cleaner" on our woodstove glass door at camp when needed... burning hot fires keeps it clean and don't let the burning wood lean on the glass... :P

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Murf

Quote from: SwampDonkey on September 15, 2005, 08:28:29 AM
I'de go with the stove. I'de freeze to death with a fireplace.  ;)

Hey Donk, how does that work? My air-tight fireplace insert has exactly the same BTU output rating as the similar model of stove does. I also looked at the Pacific Energy site, the smae thing with their models.

What am I missing here?
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

Modat22

Quote from: Murf on December 14, 2005, 10:57:20 AM
Hey Donk, how does that work? My air-tight fireplace insert has exactly the same BTU output rating as the similar model of stove does. I also looked at the Pacific Energy site, the smae thing with their models.

What am I missing here?

I'm guessing here but I think its because you can sit on a stove   :D

Murf

Modat22

:D When I was a kid my dad would almost stand on top of the woodstove, I remember the smell of singed bluejeans often in that old house.

One day mom waxed the floor before dad got up out of bed and I head a crash and a shout, I run out and find dad in his underware and socks holding ice on his behind. he stradled the stove and his feet slipped on the floor and thus sat on the stove.

SwampDonkey

When ever I here fireplace all I can do is remember my uncle's fireplace in his huge double sized living room and can remember how cold it is. All his heat was going up the flue. Right at this moment I'm not cold with the sweat rolling off the crack of my.....well never mind. Lets just say it's Dang hot in this old farmhouse at the moment. As long as this SwampDonkey can walk he'll be using wood. ;D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Murf

Ahhh, open fireplace ........ Gotcha. 

Yup, I agree, unless da fire is prett'near meltin' da carpet ya taint gonna git much heat outta no open fireplace.

Dis one heats an area dats 50' wide, 24' deep and 2 storeys high, with some dry hardwood in der, da furnace will not cycle, regardless of what da weather's doin outside.

SwampDonkey

Uncle's living room is 30 feet wide and 15 feet deep, then there is a hall way and stair case that takes up 20 x 15 feet, plus a bedroom on the end. That's the area enclosed by doors from a dining room and another living room. There's five bedrooms upstairs and a bathroom they keep closed off because it's just him and my aunt, cousin's are all gone their own way. She used to be Dang cold upstairs, I feel frost on my nose thinking about it. ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Murf

It's hard to make out but that hangin' light fixture is actually a ceiling fan, if ya have a squint ya just make out da blades spinnin' round.

If I don't leave it goin' full-time da bedrooms (da open doors upstairs) are in the 80's come bedtime. smiley_sweat_drop

SwampDonkey

Thank You Sponsors!