iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Suggested Saw for TSI Girdling

Started by Redonthehead, January 25, 2011, 09:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redonthehead

I have about 50 acres of TSI I plan on doing over the next couple years.  Mostly dropping small trees and girdling anything over ~8 inches and spraying with Pathway.   I have an older 028PRO that runs fine and would certainly do the job, but I was thinking a smaller lightweight saw would be nice. Perhaps a longer than usual bar for the size as girdling shouldn't take a lot of HP.  I'm partial to Stihl - perhaps a MS200?

CX3

MS 260 for my money. 

You go to MU?

Class of 06 here
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

miking

I do that exact kind of work myself and a 50CC saw is the way to go. I use my echo 530 but it'll all come down to brand preference. I think the 200 would be great except for that price tag. By the way, pathway is brutal on the environment as well as on yourself. I much prefer element 4 in basal oil in the winter months and 25% round-up the rest of the year.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

John Mc

Quote from: miking on January 26, 2011, 09:20:24 AM
... I much prefer element 4 in basal oil in the winter months...

I've only ever worked with Garlon and Round-up (glyphosate). What is "element 4"?

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Redonthehead

I think the 200 would be great except for that price tag.

Holy moly! Hadn't looked at the price.  $650 list.   sheeez. 

CX3- yup - class of '84. Oldest son is about to be class of '11.

Saw Dr.

Run an 025 or MS-250 before you decide they are crap.  I have a couple of tree-service buddies running them, and they are very happy.
I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

John Mc

You don't need a lot of power for girdling, or a particularly long bar. MS 200 is quite a good saw, but a bit small if you want to use it for other kinds of cutting (besides limbing and girdling).

As Miking said, a 50cc saw is a nice lightweight size range that still has the power to be used for other things. IMO, the Husky 346XP (about $490 list) is tough to beat in this size range. Stihl MS 260 (about $520) is also a nice pro-level saw. The Husky 353 or it's twin, the Jonsered 2152, are also a nice 50cc saws, though a step down from the 346XP and the MS260. Dolmar 5105 (or the previous version, PS 5100) is good, though dealer support is a real problem in my area.

If price is an issue, you might consider the Husky 450 (about $380 list). This is one of Husky's midrange saws. It's not the same build as the 346XP or the 353, but a decent saw with decent power to weight ratio for the money. I'd put the Stihl MS 250 ($300) in more or less the same bracket. I'm not as much a fan of the Husky 455 or 460 - kind of pigs on the power to weight ratio, but might be OK if you didn't mind the extra weight (though if that were the case, you'd probably just keep using your Stihl 028)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

miking

Quote from: John Mc on January 26, 2011, 12:04:43 PM
... I much prefer element 4 in basal oil in the winter months...

I've only ever worked with Garlon and Round-up (glyphosate). What is "element 4"?

John Mc

It's the same as Garlon 4, but it might be a little cheaper. I like it for basal bark applications on sugar maple, elm, ironwood and others. I get it from CWC chemical along with the penetrating oil for basal barking.
Echo CS530, 600 and 680 chainsaws, SRM410U brushcutter, PB500 blower and PP265 power pruner. Also a Stihl 192c for the lil' stuff.

miking

Quote from: Saw Dr. on January 26, 2011, 04:07:42 PM
Run an 025 or MS-250 before you decide they are crap.  I have a couple of tree-service buddies running them, and they are very happy.

I started with those models way back when and they just didn't hold up. I think I  went through 2 brand new ones and at least as many used ones before I quit that outfit and started my own. I didn't think they were junk, but for steady heavy use they weren't all that great.

Thank You Sponsors!