iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1998 Timberjack 460 transmission problem

Started by tomthumb, July 22, 2018, 09:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomthumb

Hi! 1998 Timberjack with Cummings and 6 speed Clark transmission. While in first gear, transmission will shift into third gear on its own. Digital display still shows 1 and yellow T light blinks. If i turn engine off and start over will operate in first gear for a few minutes before going to a higher gear again. Used this procedure to get it out of woods. Not sure where to start trouble shooting and any help would be appreciated. This is a cable skidder and has the joystick shifter. Thank You

Southside

I am not familiar with the TJ set up but I think my Franklin has a Clark transmission and the shifting is controlled by a series of neutral safety backup switches which activate based on a plate that rotates by their position creating a series of on and off switches to open the right valves via electro magnetic coils. 

If you have a series of coils I would check for a chafing or damaged wire, then look under the joystick for a cross contact problem. 

When I had a NSBU go bad on me I only had certian gears sometimes and all gears other times, $30 bucks later and a couple hours with a multi meter and she was all fixed. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

kiko

With the key off, move the shifter into reverse then to the left, while holding it there turn the key to the on position. It will then run a diagnostic test.  G for good circuit, O for open , and S for short.

tomthumb

Thank You kiko and Southside logger for your reply's. Will do the diagnostic test tomorrow and if the weather allows jack the cab and start trouble shooting.

kiko

Sitting in the seat, the transmission wiring harness goes down the right side of the transmission the comes up and over transmission under the transmission pump to the control valve. Where it comes up and over is a common rub spot for the harness.

tomthumb

I know the wires you are talking about and hope to troubleshoot today if weather permits. Thank You

tomthumb

Well I didn't find a short but the first gear solenoid was bad. Got it ordered and hope to be back running Wednesday. Anybody know where to buy them cheaper than JD. Thanks again  kiko and Southside logger.

tomthumb

Well put the new shift solenoid in and tested before putting covers on and letting cab down and everything was good. Got everything back together and no forward gears. In the process of putting cover on the solenoids i had pulled one of the wires out. Brought the solenoid home and have re soldered the wire back in and sealed it. Meter says everything is good to go so hope it works when i put it back on tomorrow.  Don't understand why these solenoids are so high. Does anybody know where the best place is to order them.

Southside

When you say selonoid is it the electromagnetic style that slides over the valve stem?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

kiko

Those coils should be available from a Clark transmission supplier. Like Bowers. There are no aftermarket supplier that I am aware of.  It is a 32000 model transmission.  Aftermarket Parts Inc would be a place to try.  

tomthumb

Sorry for the delay in replying. Internet has been on the blink. It is the electromagnetic style Southside logger. If i remember right they are made by Hydra.
Kiko when i get enough internet I will see what is available thru your suggestions. Not happening tonight.
Thank You both for your reply's.

Thank You Sponsors!