iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

041 Muffler Mods

Started by kenskip1, June 02, 2004, 06:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenskip1

Greetings,
    In my never ending search for just a smigit bit more power, I was wondering if it is Possible to modify the origional muffler.Just one small detail, in order to get thew muffler off much time and frustration would be used.
Is it possible to help this engine breath without totally removing hte muffler? The saw in question is  Stihl 041.It runs well for an old saw, (No pun intended) however I want to help it breath a little better.This saw loves Sunoco 108 octaine and Amsoil.Any suggestions?     Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

Rocky_J

Why would it require 'much time and frustration' in order to remove the muffler? I would advise strongly against doing the muffler work while it is still on the saw. The filings and metal shavings can easily make their way into the cylinder.

Pull the muffler, decarbon the cylinder exhaust port, match the muffler port to the exhaust port and then open the exhaust outlet to 80% -100% of the exhaust port size. I've discovered when you go larger on a stock saw, power seems to drop off.

If you can't get the muffler mounting bolts off, try some PB Blaster or maybe some Rust Reaper.

incognitive

The newer saws will benefit from opening up the muffler because they're purposely choked-down.  I doubt an older saw like the 041 would benefit as greatly (if at all) and it likely wouldn't be worth the effort.

Thank You Sponsors!